ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

StartupImage

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 05:35 PM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StartupImage

I've made multiple attempts over the last few days to modify the startup image on my 2013 300H with absolutely no luck. I'm placing the relatively small JPG with a short name (Test1.jpg) in the "StartupImage" folder of my USB flash drives. Whenever I attempt to "Transfer" the image, the "Yes" on the confirmation screen is unavailable. I assume this is because it cannot find the image.

I've tried two different USB flash drives, tried reformatting them, tried different different file systems and made sure "StartupImage" is with the right case. I know the USB flash drives are fine because audio system will play music from the drive just fine.

Can anyone else come up with a new idea to try. Because some new ideas, I'm going to have to give up on this.

Thanks
Old 09-04-12, 07:51 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evileye
I've made multiple attempts over the last few days to modify the startup image on my 2013 300H with absolutely no luck. I'm placing the relatively small JPG with a short name (Test1.jpg) in the "StartupImage" folder of my USB flash drives. Whenever I attempt to "Transfer" the image, the "Yes" on the confirmation screen is unavailable. I assume this is because it cannot find the image.

I've tried two different USB flash drives, tried reformatting them, tried different different file systems and made sure "StartupImage" is with the right case. I know the USB flash drives are fine because audio system will play music from the drive just fine.

Can anyone else come up with a new idea to try. Because some new ideas, I'm going to have to give up on this.

Thanks
You can transfer 3 images to the navigation system to use as a startup screen. Maybe the system is looking for 3 images in the StartupImage folder, whereas you're only putting 1 JPG in the folder. And if you're using a Mac, the OS seems to add ".DS_Store" in just about every folder. Try using Windows and have only 3 JPG files in the StartupImage folder and no other files. I have no idea if this will work, but it's at least worth a try. Good luck.
Old 09-05-12, 06:07 AM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jetman
You can transfer 3 images to the navigation system to use as a startup screen. Maybe the system is looking for 3 images in the StartupImage folder, whereas you're only putting 1 JPG in the folder. And if you're using a Mac, the OS seems to add ".DS_Store" in just about every folder. Try using Windows and have only 3 JPG files in the StartupImage folder and no other files. I have no idea if this will work, but it's at least worth a try. Good luck.
Unfortunately, I've already tried this approach without success. 3 images using Windows 7.

Thanks for the attempt though.
Old 09-05-12, 04:37 PM
jetman
Driver

Unfortunately, I've already tried this approach without success. 3 images using Windows 7.

Thanks for the attempt though.
OK. I'm looking at the three image files that I was able to successfully download into my navigation system. The three images are between 1.8 and 1.9 MB each. Is there a chance that the images you are trying to download are too small or too large? Or maybe the system can't accept images named "test.jpg" Since most digital cameras name their images DSC*.jpg, try renaming the three image files DSC001.jpg, DSC002.jpg and DSC003.jpg

These are just ideas off the top of my head. If nothing else, they're worth a try...
Old 09-05-12, 07:02 PM
photoguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jet, so yours are working?

I think the dsc naming is a long shot (I've written a lot of apps to load pics) but it definitely can't hurt.

My bet is on the sizing, either the file size or the width height.

Try making it 720x480 - I'm guessing that's pretty close to the native res of the nav screen.

Originally Posted by jetman
OK. I'm looking at the three image files that I was able to successfully download into my navigation system. The three images are between 1.8 and 1.9 MB each. Is there a chance that the images you are trying to download are too small or too large? Or maybe the system can't accept images named "test.jpg" Since most digital cameras name their images DSC*.jpg, try renaming the three image files DSC001.jpg, DSC002.jpg and DSC003.jpg

These are just ideas off the top of my head. If nothing else, they're worth a try...
Old 09-05-12, 07:48 PM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by photoguy
Jet, so yours are working?

I think the dsc naming is a long shot (I've written a lot of apps to load pics) but it definitely can't hurt.

My bet is on the sizing, either the file size or the width height.

Try making it 720x480 - I'm guessing that's pretty close to the native res of the nav screen.
Mine is working. They are all photos taken with an iPhone. I copied three JPGs to a USB thumb drive into a directory I named "StartupImage". Only took a few seconds to transfer to the navigation system.

I told my salesman that I had transferred the images; he said he knew it could be done but had never seen nor tried it. I'm going to show it to him when I take my car to have the remote starter installed next week. Apparently it's not something the average Lexus owner tries to do...
Old 09-06-12, 09:11 AM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

I'll try the suggestions later today. I don't remember the resolution of the file but the file size is fairly small. Perhaps someone can post a link to a file they know works.

I'm a software developer by trade so I've tried all sorts of things to "trick" it into working.
Old 09-06-12, 06:51 PM
CurryPot
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-screen-4.html
Old 09-07-12, 06:09 AM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

I've already seen this thread and tried everything suggested within it.
Old 09-14-12, 01:21 PM
2body1head
Driver School Candidate

I've already seen this thread and tried everything suggested within it.
Hello there. Did you solve your dilemma? I tried it last night and it worked in minutes. 3 jpeg images taken with an iphone in a cheap thumb drive with a directory of StartupImage. No spaces and capital "I". I hope yours works out soon if not. Now I have to do it when it shuts down. Good luck!
Old 09-15-12, 11:37 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

One way to make sure your car is reading your flash drives is to put some .mp3 files on them and see if the car plays them. If it doesn't read them you might just have incompatible flash drives (it happens).
Old 09-17-12, 10:00 AM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

I've been out of town for 10 days and away from my Lexus so I haven't been able to try anything else. To answer a couple specific questions:

Yes, I am naming the directory correctly. I indicated that in my initial posting.

Yes, the drive works just fine for music. I've got 150 albums on it and it plays these like a charm.

I'd love it if someone would post the resolution/size of an image they got to work. Even better, post the actually file.
Old 09-18-12, 06:16 PM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth, I tried, unsuccessfully, to upload images using a Mac and two different USB drives. The minute I used my windows 7 work laptop, it worked like a charm.

Those who are having issues, try uploading images using a windows PC. Just be sure to create a directory on your USB drive called StartupImage (case sensitive).
Old 09-19-12, 08:35 AM
CurryPot
Driver

It took a couple goes for it to work, using a Windows 7 PC. But I did get it working.
Old 09-21-12, 07:09 AM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

I was also able to upload three images with no issues as well. Does anyone know how to get rid of the "warning" messages that appear after the image display?

Quick Reply: StartupImage