Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 10:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedege
I haven't found it. I did have that in my MBZ. What I do is reset every morning when I leave the house.

-Mike
Unless they changed it for the new gen ES, that's the way it was on my '07 and same with my '10. You have to manually reset Overall MPG each time you want a new reading.
Old 09-11-12, 02:49 PM
kylien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is equipped with the 7" EGA Screen, i.e., Navigation, 8-Speaker Display Audio, there is a feature called "Past Trip" under fuel consumption showing this info.

Got 200 miles so far and I am averaging 32 MPG. I live on a hill and don't know if that's a contributing factor or not.
Old 09-11-12, 04:42 PM
CurryPot
Driver

Originally Posted by kylien
If your car is equipped with the 7" EGA Screen, i.e., Navigation, 8-Speaker Display Audio, there is a feature called "Past Trip" under fuel consumption showing this info.

Got 200 miles so far and I am averaging 32 MPG. I live on a hill and don't know if that's a contributing factor or not.
Sounds like some short trips (< 5 miles)? The hill should not be a significant factor, what goes up must come down. I have a similar issue. A good trick is to use all of your battery as you role home. In the morning the engine will be warming up so it will be charged then.

When you get on the gas to accelerate and find yourself getting close to the speed you want, lift of the pedal. If you are under 48 MPH, it should shut off the engine. Yes it will come on an off but keeping your foot to the floor will stop the engine from kicking off.

You will get better. As everyone will no doubt tell you.

I expect most people to hit 35 MPG combined without too much trouble.

Oh, and as a former Prius owner, when the engine breaks in, you will see the MPG improve. BUT, it's getting colder and crappy winter gas is on it's way. That will kill 3 MPG or there about.

I'm expecting someone to chime in that they are getting 45 MPG or better. I can do 54.8 MPG reported on the computer from Edmonds to Redmond using shortest distance from NAV. It's around a 34 mile journey there and back with a couple significant hills (no freeway). I stick to the speed limit and try to not upset other drivers. But, for a whole tank I'm looking at 39 MPG calculated. The second may be closer to 40 MPG, but I am really careful with the pedal.

I created an account on Fuelly to track my MPG. I have yet to do my second tank (am at 1023 miles) so Fuelly is not reporting my average MPG at this time. I''m wondering how I am getting better MPG than a Smart car!
Old 09-12-12, 06:33 PM
DNES300H
Driver School Candidate

First tank 35mpg
2nd tank, 41.3mpg (476 miles, 11.5 gallons). 90% city. It takes a little time to adjust your driving style to a hybrid.
Old 09-13-12, 12:28 PM
CurryPot
Driver

Second fill up calculated to be 40.8 MPG. Car reported 42.3 MPG.

Took the car up Mt. St. Helen's this week. Car reported 45.8 MPG. I was driving normally in ECO mode with the occasional change to Sport mode to mix things up. Going from ECO to SPORT really scares you for a few seconds. The temperature at the top was only 64F, at base it was 74F. Total round trip was 348.4 miles. Not too shabby since some of this was at 70 MPH with a head wind.

Same trip in a Prius back in 2005 with warmer temperatures reported a 54 MPG.
Old 09-13-12, 09:40 PM
mivasko
Driver School Candidate

First tank 37.1 (60 mile round trip stop/go and highway- mostly flat). Second tank at 2/3 full and up to 37.5. I use all battery and eco in the stop/go commuting with normal/sport for cruising and overtaking.

White on Parchment. Love the car. Never thought I'd be a sedan-er; especially an ES which I thought was grannie's car. Obviously my first es; but the hybrid sold me.
Old 09-14-12, 09:30 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

if only my trusty land cruiser was this fuel efficient . Enjoy your rides guys
Old 09-18-12, 02:32 PM
CurryPot
Driver

Don't expect you to believe this, not sure I do.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/currypotter/es300h

Third fill up. 630.9 miles on 13.69 gallons = 46.1 MPG Used the same gas station and stopped on the second click at the pump. Car was reporting 45.8 MPG for the tank. Distance to empty at fill up was 46 miles.

I've been careful while not annoying my fellow motorists on the road.

Toyota has definitely tinkered with this "old" hybrid system.

Last edited by CurryPot; 09-18-12 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 10:14 PM
krs1chee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the numbers, love Fuelly. Very impressed with Lexus overall.
Old 09-24-12, 01:24 PM
ES300HTX
Driver School Candidate

Some pointers and observations:

I live in Houston and I drive 50 miles to and from work a day on I-10.

Driving in stop and go traffic gets the maximum MPG for me, I have averaged up to 50MPG in stop and go traffic.

Always use EV Mode where you can:

First pointers in stop and go traffic is to set your car into EV Mode and do not pass 25MPH

Second pointer if you are in the drive thru for a bank or fast food restaurant set it to EV Mode

Third if you are driving through school zone or your neighborhood set it in EV Mode

Fourth if you are in a multilevel garage set it in EV Mode

Things that hurt MPG:

First driving uphill which is very rare in Houston, but for places like Austin with hills and small mountains kill MPG.

Second I have been averaging about 45 MPG after refuel each time and I only use my car to drive to work Monday through Friday. This weekend I thought I would take the wife and kid for a drive in the car and I noticed a slight decrease in MPG to around 37-39 MPG. So a increase in load will hurt your MPG.

Third having a lead foot, this usually annoys me a little since a good portion of my drive has about 5 parts that have merging lanes, so the people at the light on the far left always try to cut in front of the people in the middle lane by accelerating quickly and people in the middle lane don't want to be caught behind these people are also gunning the pedal...I just need to learn to let those people pass me by.

First driving up hill will reduce MPG performance unless you are very very light with the pedal and have a full battery
Old 09-25-12, 04:32 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

40mpg is tough to get. It can be done with the right kind of driving. I am getting around 37mpg
Old 09-26-12, 05:20 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

As I wait for the delivery of my 300h, I want to thank all of you for your mileage posts, keep them coming.
Old 09-26-12, 11:10 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default First Thousand Miles: Avg MPG

Decided to take a pic of avg MPG gauge at my first thousand miles. Bought the car August 15th, and picture was taken on September 26th.

- With the exception of one 50 mile roundtrip, all driving has been in and around town...lots of lazy drives into the hilly countryside where I live. Hey, you can afford non-essential driving in one of these cars!

- The DRIVE MODE has always been set on 'NORMAL' setting since day one. Just as in the HS 250h, I prefer to have engine power on hand at all times, especially if you need to punch it when entering a highway from an on-ramp (lots of oblivious/selfish/dumb drivers around here don't let you merge into traffic). And yep, this baby gives unbelievable PUNCH when you need it. So to me the "ECO" setting can be a self-inflicted handicap.

- I haven't gone to any extraordinary lengths to keep MPG high. But this is my 4th hybrid (Camry Hybrid, Prius, HS 250h) and I'm always conscious of two things: (1) I always try to drive at or near the speed limit, and (2) I never let the hybrid system gauge move into the "power" area if I can help it.

- In case anybody's wondering, no, I haven't RESET this average gauge since day one. I don't plan to reset it in future; I'm really curious to see long-term mileage.

Conclusion: I've liked every Lexus I've owned since 1992, but I'm in love with this one. The luxury and gadgets are first class, it's super quiet on the road, there's iTunes integration via Bluetooth streaming from the iPhone in my pants pocket, and it's got great backseat room for adult passengers. Best of all, should we get into another gas crisis where fuel prices skyrocket, I know I can squeeze out 40 MPG on a gallon of regular gas. And without giving up the Lexus luxury I love.
Attached Thumbnails ES300h Gas mileage-mpg-at-999-miles.jpg  
Old 09-27-12, 06:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Has anyone checked their mileage manually and compared it with the car's computer to see how close they are.

I did it on my 1st ES350 and the the computer was a little over 1 mpg higher tan the manual numbers. I haven't tried it on my currrent car. Just curious.
Old 09-27-12, 08:22 AM
ES300HTX
Driver School Candidate

Any one knows about how much is left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on?

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage