ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 08:35 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Hi all, I've owned several Lexus vehicles the past 18 years. My recent acquisition is the 2014 ES300h in dark gray w/black interior. Very nice fit and finish.
After driving an LS460, I miss a few of the extras but don't miss the large foot print and poor city fuel economy (8 mpg). I'm in San Diego and do most of my driving in the city. Parking spaces are generally smaller and we have some hills. Seemed like a mid size hybrid would be perfect.
I'm very disappointed that my first hybrid is giving me about 28 mpg since I bought it in May of 2016. It should be 40 mpg.
Had the dealer check it out several times as well as corporate sent a regional traveling tech to test drive it with me. I drive very gently and anticipate stops and goes
like a hyper miler might and everything else recommended. The test drive showed live instant mpg on the tech's laptop of 36 mpg down hill towards the ocean and 32 mpg up hill back to the dealership.
Very confused and disappointed with these results. no one else is reporting low figures here. I've decide that I've done all I can to figure this out and am just going to
enjoy the car. From my experience, I'd think twice before buying a hybrid again. Bottom line is they are supposed to do best in city driving, mine does considerably better with highway driving (which I rarely do).
Old 09-21-16, 08:40 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive had hybrids before,, Camry and Prius.. I think yr trying to hard to get the mileage you expect..
Old 09-21-16, 08:51 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

It's always interesting for me to see LS owners moving into a ES. I love my ES ... but really, is the ES that good of a car?
Old 09-21-16, 08:53 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive never owned a Lexus before. But Ive owned Toyotas for yrs..... Im betting it is.. Toyotas are bullet proof.. The one I owned were..
Old 09-21-16, 06:52 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

There is definitely something off with your 300h. We get between 36 and 40 in average city driving without getting too extreme. We got 40.9 on one tank. We have about 14k miles on the odometer. The problem isn't the hybrid drivetrain. There must be something going on with your car. It sounds like you are getting mileage more like a 350.
Old 09-22-16, 02:07 PM
BLKBETE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sliderusaf
Recently purchased a 2013 ES350 Luxury Package, Deep Sea Blue Micah / Parchment (Ivory).
Navigation System Package
20" Niche custom wheels
Rain Sensor Intermittent Wiper w/ Windshield De-Icer
Blind Spot Monitor
Intuitive Parking Assist
Power rear sunshade
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Wood and leather-trimmed shift ****
Cargo Net & Carpet Trunk Mat
Additional warranty to 5 years / 100,000 miles, 3 years Complimentary Service
I've also added some stainless steel/chrome accents to both interior/exterior of car. It looks pretty sharp ... wheels really set it off! Turning lots of heads too!
Sounds really nice! Do you have pics? Also, how do the 20's ride vs. the 17's? I've heard there is a noticeable (rough) difference - more like the GS 350 F-Sport.
Old 09-22-16, 03:07 PM
bestlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Welcome to CL;7286445]Members,
Hello, just purchased a 2014 ES350 in late July. It's everything I imagined. Perfection.

Tell us some details about your new Lexus including:

- Model (ES350) Luxury Package
- Black leather interior / Silver exterior
- All options with exception of Lane departure, Distance computation to vehicle in front of you.
- Apart from that, it has everything.
- Wish it came standard with illuminated door sills

Old 09-23-16, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
It's always interesting for me to see LS owners moving into a ES. I love my ES ... but really, is the ES that good of a car?
I did it basically way back when, and went back. The ES is not to the same level of the LS obviously but it's a lot cheaper comparing new to new. That cost difference has an impact.

If I were buying used I wouldn't do it, I'd get an older LS vs a newer ES, but buying new or leasing new, the LS is ~ twice as expensive.

I'd rather keep an older LS, but I can understand why people would do it if they have a strong desire to have a new car.

Originally Posted by swfla
Hi all, I've owned several Lexus vehicles the past 18 years. My recent acquisition is the 2014 ES300h in dark gray w/black interior. Very nice fit and finish.
After driving an LS460, I miss a few of the extras but don't miss the large foot print and poor city fuel economy (8 mpg). ...
I'm very disappointed that my first hybrid is giving me about 28 mpg since I bought it in May of 2016. It should be 40 mpg.
Had the dealer check it out several times as well as corporate sent a regional ...From my experience, I'd think twice before buying a hybrid again. Bottom line is they are supposed to do best in city driving, mine does considerably better with highway driving (which I rarely do).
If you were getting 8MPG in the city with the LS, and now 28 with the ES300h the common denominator has got to be you. I have never gotten anywhere close to that mileage in the city in my LS460 or in my older LS cars, perhaps 14-15 MPG in pure slow city driving, and I live in DC Which has more traffic than San Diego, and a climate that's harder on economy.

In the dead of winter stop and go city I get way more than 8MPG, and mines an AWD.

Do you idle the car a lot? Something you're doing is delivering usually low economy.

I've not owned a ES300h but I have owned a Prius, and there's no way you should be getting less mileage in the city than on the highway.
Old 10-20-16, 08:47 PM
16silverES
Driver School Candidate

Talking Hi from a new ES350 owner

I traded our '11 RX 350 today for a 2016 ES 350 loaner car with 16K miles. I'm pretty excited about it but the owners manual is a bit overwhelming Anyway, I loved the ride and general quality of the RX, but I really wanted a car with the latest technology and a bit better mpg... I don't know what package I have but the car is very well appointed, silver with a beautiful leather upholstery of what I would call "camel" color. It has the heated and ventilated seats, dimming mirrors, all sorts of parking assist, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, the self braking and I don't know what else. It does have that little joystick thingy to navigate in the screen where navigation and other features appear. I managed to pair my iphone with it so far and to establish "home" in the GPS.
I will probably need some help understanding the use of all its features. I will say that I'm very impressed with the car in the few hours I've owned it. I'm sure I'll be visiting the forum regularly to learn more about this car. I considered looking at the new 2017 Avalon and Camry as well as the Accord to save some $$ and perhaps a few more mpg, but in the end I thought the brand was worth the extra bucks
Old 10-21-16, 05:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by 16silverES
I traded our '11 RX 350 today for a 2016 ES 350 loaner car with 16K miles. I'm pretty excited about it but the owners manual is a bit overwhelming Anyway, I loved the ride and general quality of the RX, but I really wanted a car with the latest technology and a bit better mpg... I don't know what package I have but the car is very well appointed, silver with a beautiful leather upholstery of what I would call "camel" color. It has the heated and ventilated seats, dimming mirrors, all sorts of parking assist, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, the self braking and I don't know what else. It does have that little joystick thingy to navigate in the screen where navigation and other features appear. I managed to pair my iphone with it so far and to establish "home" in the GPS.
I will probably need some help understanding the use of all its features. I will say that I'm very impressed with the car in the few hours I've owned it. I'm sure I'll be visiting the forum regularly to learn more about this car. I considered looking at the new 2017 Avalon and Camry as well as the Accord to save some $$ and perhaps a few more mpg, but in the end I thought the brand was worth the extra bucks
Welcome and congrats! Let's see some pic's!

I've had my 2013 ES since 3/13. Your's already has more miles than mine! What's the build date and where was it manufactured? You may have an early Japan built model.
Old 10-21-16, 10:00 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Guess I should check in here. I purchased my ES350 a month ago. I had traded in my 4Runner for a 2013 RX450H in August, but after a short trip to LA, I realized I couldn't stand the seats. They were killing my back. So 6 weeks later I took a huge hit on trade in and picked up a 2016 ES350. I looked at a '14 but even those seats hurt my back. I also considered a '13 GS350 with the 18 way seats, but they were extremely uncomfortable (loved the car though)
Never one to leave a car alone, I just completed a color change wrap on it. Wanted a Blue one but there were none to be had in Vegas and was working under a time constraint. Next project to is do some modifications to the anemic sound system. Somewhere between adding a sub and replacing all of the speakers and full sound processing. WIll see how that goes.

So far I really like the ES even though I really didn't want to go back to a sedan. Hopefully I will keep this car for a few years.

Some before and after pics...
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus!  6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-wrap.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus!  6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-wrap4.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus!  6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-wrap17.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus!  6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-wrap18.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus!  6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-wrap20.jpg  

Welcome to Club Lexus!  6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-wrap26.jpg  
Old 10-22-16, 08:59 PM
16silverES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Welcome and congrats! Let's see some pic's!

I've had my 2013 ES since 3/13. Your's already has more miles than mine! What's the build date and where was it manufactured? You may have an early Japan built model.
I purchased it used, it was built in Sept 2015 in Japan, and put into service in October '15 according to the dealer. It was a "loaner" but it seems to be in excellent condition, everyone who has looked at it thought it was brand new
It's pretty well loaded with all the technology stuff like automatic braking, lane departure prevention, adaptive CC, navigation, Enform, etc. It's a comfortable car to ride and my family loves it. They don't even miss the RX 350 that I traded in for it. The car is seems to be longer than the RX350 and it was a challenge to put it in the garage )to be fair, that spot was where I parked my first gen Miata, LOL. I'll take better pictures maybe tomorrow and post them.

Old 10-25-16, 10:26 AM
paulie7880
Driver School Candidate

Smile Like a kid

Hi All,
I pick up my new 2017 Lexus ES350 Red, with all the trimmings, tomorrow. I am one excited little kid. Ok, maybe not my first childhood, second, third, probably fourth childhood. Someday I may grow up, no hurry! I've always found user forums very helpful for answering all kinds of questions, particularly one that the dealer can't or won't answer. You guys/gals are always so helpful. (I help when I can, but that is seldom, unfortunately.)
Old 10-25-16, 01:08 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by paulie7880
Hi All,
I pick up my new 2017 Lexus ES350 Red, with all the trimmings, tomorrow. I am one excited little kid. Ok, maybe not my first childhood, second, third, probably fourth childhood. Someday I may grow up, no hurry! I've always found user forums very helpful for answering all kinds of questions, particularly one that the dealer can't or won't answer. You guys/gals are always so helpful. (I help when I can, but that is seldom, unfortunately.)
Congratulations and welcome to Club Lexus, post photos.
Old 10-29-16, 07:31 PM
Funpilot
4th Gear

Default New to me 2015 300H

Just signed the paperwork and should pick up a 2015 300 H loaded. It even has remote start. Think I got a very fair price and look forward to keeping it until I can buy a true self driving car ...

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!