ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 and ES300h Official Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 06:34 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE the immediately previous review...... Does the ES300h actually have an external speaker system to alert pedestrians with a "whirring" sound? If so, didn't know that - would love to change mine to an idling jet engine noise!
Old 04-28-13, 07:03 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly4u
RE the immediately previous review...... Does the ES300h actually have an external speaker system to alert pedestrians with a "whirring" sound? If so, didn't know that - would love to change mine to an idling jet engine noise!
Yes it does have a strange whirring sound, I hear it every time I pull out of my garage if I have my window down. It you can figure out how to change it, please let us know.

Last edited by jollick; 04-29-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 10:44 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by jollick
Yes it does have a strange whirring sound, I hear it every time I pull out of my garage if I have my window down. It you can figure out how to change it, please let us know.
I finally heard that yesterday when the windows were rolled down! Most definitely an odd whirring sound, but couldn't tell if it was part of the hybrid mechanism or a deliberate addition for ped safety. Will have to ask the maintenance dept when I take her in for the first 5K check.
Old 05-03-13, 05:35 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Electric vehicle warning sounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri..._sounds#Toyota

Toyota Motor Company teamed up with Fujitsu Ten to develop an automatic warning system for hybrids and electric vehicles to alert pedestrians when the car is propelled by its electric motor. The companies also studied the development of a system that would change the alarm's tune and volume with the assistance of an obstacle-detection radar.[56][57]

On August 2010 Toyota began sales of an onboard device designed to automatically emit a synthesized sound of an electric motor when the Prius is operating as an electric vehicle at speeds up to approximately 25 kilometres per hour (16 mph). The device will be available in Japan through authorized Toyota dealers and Toyota genuine parts & accessories distributors for retrofitting on the third-generation Prius at a price of ¥12,600 (~US$150) including the consumption tax. The alert sound rises and falls in pitch according to the vehicle's speed, thus helping indicate the vehicle's proximity and movement to nearby pedestrians. Toyota is planning to use other versions of the device for use in gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids, electric vehicles as well as fuel-cell hybrid vehicles planned for mass production. The device meets the 2010 government regulations issued for hybrid and other near-silent vehicles.[1]

Toyota's Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) will be introduced in the United States in all 2012 model year Prii family vehicles, including the Prius v, Prius Plug-in Hybrid and the standard Prius. The system is being introduced to comply with the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010.[4][58]
Old 05-03-13, 07:00 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and my wife have both talked about that noise. I had no idea it was designed to emit the noise through a speaker system! That pretty cool! I want mine to rumble like the V8 I once had in my ISF.
Old 05-19-13, 09:07 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...3-lexus-es-350
Old 05-22-13, 10:33 PM
ysc4F92
Driver School Candidate

The only thing the Lexus ES350 is missing is the interior of the 2007-2012 model....................I cant believe they went 2 steps back..................plastic leather on a luxury vehicle? less wood? a lousy computer mouse, less quite .... one word to describe it..........SHAMEFUL

it is a shame that out of 17 luxury vehicle the ES350 is number 13................................check Consumer reports rating for anyone in doubt.
Old 05-23-13, 06:24 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ysc4F92
The only thing the Lexus ES350 is missing is the interior of the 2007-2012 model....................I cant believe they went 2 steps back..................plastic leather on a luxury vehicle? less wood? a lousy computer mouse, less quite .... one word to describe it..........SHAMEFUL

it is a shame that out of 17 luxury vehicle the ES350 is number 13................................check Consumer reports rating for anyone in doubt.
While I respect CR's reliability measures (based on their methodology and objectivity), I take their "overall rating" with a grain of salt. In essence, their formula is based on a specific set of assumptions of what the buyer is interested in. Thus, if your list of priorities isn't the same, then that overall rating doesn't carry a lot of value.
Old 05-27-13, 10:59 AM
maptodo
Driver School Candidate

I respect your opinion. Out of curiosity, who's "overall rating" do you trust? . By the way, Consumer report's rating is the best that the 2013 ES350 gets. Everyone one else rating is even worst.
Old 05-27-13, 12:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by maptodo
I respect your opinion. Out of curiosity, who's "overall rating" do you trust? . By the way, Consumer report's rating is the best that the 2013 ES350 gets. Everyone one else rating is even worst.
I think in all of your posts you are just focusing on the negatives for some reason. Most of the reviews I've read, while not exactly stellar, have some positive things to say about the new gen ES.

Sales of the new gen are very strong which means actual car buyers see enough merit to plunk down their hard earned money on one.
Old 06-03-13, 10:18 PM
ysc4F92
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think in all of your posts you are just focusing on the negatives for some reason. Most of the reviews I've read, while not exactly stellar, have some positive things to say about the new gen ES.

Sales of the new gen are very strong which means actual car buyers see enough merit to plunk down their hard earned money on one.

I respect your opinion!. I don't focus on the negative at all. I am looking at it from my personal experience of having being an owner of Lexus since 1993 es250, es300, es330 and now the 2010 es350 I have seems the quality of this vehicle gone from the top rated #1 in its class to the bottom of the list. The sales numbers dont surprise me at all. The ES has always been Lexus best selling vehicle. Just wait until people become aware of the much better alternatives out there if Lexus dont wake up.

As far as the ES350 Lexus went to sleep and I hope it is not for long!
Old 06-04-13, 06:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ysc4F92
Just wait until people become aware of the much better alternatives out there if Lexus dont wake up.
Can you give an example of a much better alternative? I've driven all the competition and couldn't find one I liked better in the ES's price range.
Old 06-10-13, 07:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

On MotorWeek tonight they had their annual Drivers Choice awards show. The ES (350 & 300h) was awarded the Best Luxury Sedan.

The Caddy ATS won their Best Of The Year Drivers Choice Award..
Old 07-23-13, 07:47 PM
cottbott
Driver School Candidate

Default Looked at a lot of cars - Purchased ES350

The reviews from Consumers Report and others did concern me.
Looked at them all - Mercedes C300, BMW 328i, Accura TL, Buick LaCrosse, ATS
My wife had equal say in the decision.
We chose the ES for the following reasons:
Ride - I liked the BMW best - Wife liked the ES. We intend to keep the car for at least 10 years probably longer, and over time my wife was concerned she would get irritated with a stiff ride driving around the lousy roads in Princeton, and wanted front or all wheel drive for winter handling.

Interior - completely disagree with previous posts. I like the interior MUCH better than the last .
Clean - found all but the BMW too busy and lousy ergonomics. Not too fond of the mouse in the ES either, which is why we did not get the Nav package ( we use our iPhone anyway )
The BMW is pretty damn nice inside as well, but the long term cost of ownership gave me concern.
You can find individual traits of cars you like better, and I do see where some are coming from, but overall the ES just filled more positive slots than the rest when all was considered.
Old 07-24-13, 05:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by cottbott
The reviews from Consumers Report and others did concern me.
Looked at them all - Mercedes C300, BMW 328i, Accura TL, Buick LaCrosse, ATS
My wife had equal say in the decision.
We chose the ES for the following reasons:
Ride - I liked the BMW best - Wife liked the ES. We intend to keep the car for at least 10 years probably longer, and over time my wife was concerned she would get irritated with a stiff ride driving around the lousy roads in Princeton, and wanted front or all wheel drive for winter handling.

Interior - completely disagree with previous posts. I like the interior MUCH better than the last .
Clean - found all but the BMW too busy and lousy ergonomics. Not too fond of the mouse in the ES either, which is why we did not get the Nav package ( we use our iPhone anyway )
The BMW is pretty damn nice inside as well, but the long term cost of ownership gave me concern.
You can find individual traits of cars you like better, and I do see where some are coming from, but overall the ES just filled more positive slots than the rest when all was considered.
Congrats and welcome! Good luck using the iPhone to navigate when you're out of data cell coverage. Might want to invest in a Garmin if you plan any long trips. Now, let's see some pic's!

Quick Reply: ES350 and ES300h Official Reviews Thread