ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Expensive to maintain.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 06:14 PM
SUNUK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive to maintain.

Who said Toyota vehicles are cheap to maintain? Granted , they have rock solid engines so nothing will go wrong there but when any other part fails be prepared to pay out your "rear end". My 08 ES 350 has had two axle replacement in two years, speed sensor(abs), Washer Pump, etc. Replacing these things cost $1000 minimum each if you cannot do them yourself. As these vehicles past 90k Miles I would recommend getting of them.
Old 06-15-19, 07:14 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Are you getting the repairs done at a Lexus dealer? If so, you will get your wallet emptied.
Old 06-15-19, 10:06 PM
SUNUK
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Are you getting the repairs done at a Lexus dealer? If so, you will get your wallet emptied.
I am actually, are you saying aftermarket parts are just as good?
Old 06-16-19, 04:32 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNUK
Who said Toyota vehicles are cheap to maintain? Granted , they have rock solid engines so nothing will go wrong there but when any other part fails be prepared to pay out your "rear end". My 08 ES 350 has had two axle replacement in two years, speed sensor(abs), Washer Pump, etc. Replacing these things cost $1000 minimum each if you cannot do them yourself. As these vehicles past 90k Miles I would recommend getting of them.
The usual way to judge reliability and maintenance costs is by dollars per mile. So take all of your bills and do the math. I have seen various numbers for average maintenance around $1100 per year based on a mid size sedan. This is assuming normal mfg. maintenance schedule along with normal wear and tear repair work. The Toyota family of cars has had a high reliability record and might be better then the $1100 but you would need to do some homework and search it out on the web to see. My 2010 has been pretty good with only having to do 5K mile oil changes and normal filter changes along with front brake pads and rotors and 2 sets of tires. All this at 65K miles . This is on the low side of the scale . I suspect if I keep the car much longer I will start to see higher costs. My plan now is to trade it in sometime in 2020 at my 10 year cycle.
Old 06-16-19, 10:03 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

axles i have not had good luck with aftermarket axles i know some people had told me that they think im risking my life by putting a use axle in this last time i did it but i feel find cause the last 3 times i replaced the axle was aftermarktet and each time it was bad withing 2 years or 50k so this time i desided to hunt down and find a low mile used axle and i did this and im happy with it. now other aftermarket parts can be just as good as oem or better now this doesnt mean it will be exactly the same it just could mean that its saftey features or life use may be longer
such as if you go with a new oem Rack when it needs to be changed you will notice that your ride will be more like it was when new for turning to steer but if you go aftermarket it could be looser or tighter. struts well Lexus OEM struts are made by KYB but KYB tunes them differnt so it might change the ride comfort by changing some parts but that does not mean the parts are not just as good. and if you are set in stone on wanting OEM parts only then you can order your parts online from an autodelership wholsale parts like if you get parts from MYLParts.com you are buying direct form a lexus dealership out of CA and if you take that part to your local lexus dealership to do the labor the labor rates wont change form if you where buying the part form them the rate will be the same for the work to be completed but also if it goes bad they wont be able to claim you brough your own part and that you have to pay again in this case you can supply your recipte and invoice from MYLParts or contac tthem for specific info and then give that to the dealership that did the work on the vehicle and if the part is still under the part warranty then lexus will cover the work under warranty for example overa year ago i purchased a replacment OEM cat converter from a online parts store that really was a lexus dealership in warwick road island when my local dealership wanted like 1500 for parts and labor i was able to get the part from a dealership out of state for like 550 it came with two sensors because it was a older part number that used to come iwth sensors i paid like 250 or so to have it installed at the dealership and about 8 months latter one of the hte sensors went bad i took my invoice for showing that i bought a oem part from a dealership to the service department they went to there parts department and took care of the warranty order and it was replaced free of charge under warranty. i have learned you buy parts form a Lexus dealership Lexus warranties the parts and labor it's not the dealership that warranties the parts or labor they just do it if you show its under warranty and then they submit for payment to Lexus parts. however if you go to a Toyota dealership the warranty for the labor is only good at the Toyota dealership you bought the part and had it installed from so you can't buy your own parts and go and expect a Toyota dealer to do the labor and cover the warranty that went bad even if you bought parts from a dealership. so sometimes it works out to shop around you dont always have to buy the OEM part from lexus where you are having the work done to make sure you get a full warranty on it
remember most Lexus Parts bought OEM at lexus dealerships come with a 12 month Unlimited Mile warranty on parts and labor aslong as you have them installed at a lexus dealership. depending on what kind of part it is and what is oging on and how much the labor intensiveness is to do the work that is what has me deside where i am going to get the part from and if i am going to go OEM or Aftermarket like for a part that is OEM and say its only 50 or 100 bucks but the labor is like 3x the cost of the part then im going with a OEM part if the labor is like 100 bucks and the parts whats more expensive then i look into what kind of warranty does the part come with
Old 06-16-19, 11:55 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Get your repairs done at a luxury dealership and you will pay luxury prices.

But the idea that a Lexus will not have some issues is not realistic.

The fairer comparison would be a the total number of maintenance, repairs and the dealer cost of those for a similar BMW or Mercedes. I believe the Lexus would compare favorably on average.

the other aspect is cost of repairs vs cost of a new car. One $1000 repair a year and you are still way ahead.
Old 06-16-19, 12:51 PM
salvojimmy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you basically have a Camray, take it to a Toyota dealer. Been servicing my wife’s 2008 that way for years and saves 10-25% depending on the item.
Old 06-16-19, 08:34 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by salvojimmy
Since you basically have a Camray, take it to a Toyota dealer. Been servicing my wife’s 2008 that way for years and saves 10-25% depending on the item.
around here its like a 5 dollar differences per hourly rate for toyota vs lexus dealership service rate.
like i could go to the lexus dealership that is directly next door to the same ownership of a toyota dealership and lexus is 120 an hour for service and the toyota is acutaly 5 dollars more per hour for service lol.
but if you go into downtown its like 5 bucks cheap for the toyota dealership there.
id say the big thing that you are getting ripped of on when goiing to a lexus dealership for service is if you are getting the parts from the same dealership parts department they usualy mark up there stuff and always more.
whats crazy is i can go to Lexus in murray utah and pay 6 dollars more for the same battery that the same lexus dealer 30 miles south wants 6 dollars less for.
sometimes one thing to do is talk to the parts department sales associated whenever you get a price for labor and parts show him the cost of what it would cost you to get it from a oem online parts store like MYLParts and if you can show its coming from a OEM parts deparmtent sometimes they work on price the service advisor that goes over price with you has nothing to do with what the parts cost are he only has some leeway over the price of what the service will cost you but none of what you are paying for the parts except sometimes they will try and mark the parts price up even more than if you where going in as a walk in so go directly to the parts department and say hey can you do this and usualy they will if you know what im saying otherwise another thing is dont complain about the cost of service on a lexus you boght a car that was a 40k car if you wanted service of a 30k car then you should have bought a car for only 30k doesnt matter if its 10 years old or 3 years old the prices of the parts will still be a luxury repair if you want oem parts
Old 06-17-19, 04:35 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
around here its like a 5 dollar differences per hourly rate for toyota vs lexus dealership service rate.
like i could go to the lexus dealership that is directly next door to the same ownership of a toyota dealership and lexus is 120 an hour for service and the toyota is acutaly 5 dollars more per hour for service lol.
but if you go into downtown its like 5 bucks cheap for the toyota dealership there.
id say the big thing that you are getting ripped of on when goiing to a lexus dealership for service is if you are getting the parts from the same dealership parts department they usualy mark up there stuff and always more.
whats crazy is i can go to Lexus in murray utah and pay 6 dollars more for the same battery that the same lexus dealer 30 miles south wants 6 dollars less for.
sometimes one thing to do is talk to the parts department sales associated whenever you get a price for labor and parts show him the cost of what it would cost you to get it from a oem online parts store like MYLParts and if you can show its coming from a OEM parts deparmtent sometimes they work on price the service advisor that goes over price with you has nothing to do with what the parts cost are he only has some leeway over the price of what the service will cost you but none of what you are paying for the parts except sometimes they will try and mark the parts price up even more than if you where going in as a walk in so go directly to the parts department and say hey can you do this and usualy they will if you know what im saying otherwise another thing is dont complain about the cost of service on a lexus you boght a car that was a 40k car if you wanted service of a 30k car then you should have bought a car for only 30k doesnt matter if its 10 years old or 3 years old the prices of the parts will still be a luxury repair if you want oem parts
Why i buy OEM parts from online at lower rate and do the repairs myself or have a trusty local mechanic do it. Also, no one said its cheaper pricing on maintenance, its just less **** breaks and lasts longer than any other car. Hence cheaper maintenance over roll.
Old 06-17-19, 05:15 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I've owned a 5-series BMW, bunch of GM PsOS, a Nissan, a Mazda, and number of Toyota/Lexus and this list comes pretty close to what I had experienced with these cars:

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-...ver-1781639773

For those who don't want to read the article:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...ktpt5hohsc.png

Last edited by igzy; 06-17-19 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spelling corrections :)
Old 06-17-19, 07:40 AM
salvojimmy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
My guess is next door and same ownership may be what causes virtually same price. I don’t see that here as Lexus and Toyota dealers are in different towns about 10 miles apart and there is another Toyota dealer in the area, about 12 miles away, all under different ownership.

Lexus dealer battery about twice Toyota dealer, same battery. Lexus a/c refresh about 25% more than Toyota. Identical service. Competition between Toyota dealers likely helps in my case. Closest Lexus dealer is about 30 miles away.
Old 06-17-19, 09:35 AM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Go to Rock Auto to see cost for the half-shafts for your 2008 ES350 LINK
Last time I had a half-shaft replaced, it took that Independent under one hour start-to-finish, while I watched. OTOH, "Flat rate manual" says it takes 2.5 hours. LINK2.

You do the math at whatever hourly rate you like $100 $200 $300 $400 ??

Keep going to the $tealer, and keep playing Santa Claus, Cost to keep the Dealer's yacht is high.

These cars are nicely upgraded Toyota Avalons, or maybe Camrys, NOT magic fairy-dust machines made by thousands of Virgin Unicorns (and Virgin Polyesters) at the Lexus "manufacturing facility" (/sarcasm)

Last edited by Riick; 06-17-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 12:34 PM
salvojimmy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Riick
Go to Rock Auto to see cost for the half-shafts for your 2008 ES350 LINK
Last time I had a half-shaft replaced, it took that Independent under one hour start-to-finish, while I watched. OTOH, "Flat rate manual" says it takes 2.5 hours. LINK2.

You do the math at whatever hourly rate you like $100 $200 $300 $400 ??

Keep going to the $tealer, and keep playing Santa Claus, Cost to keep the Dealer's yacht is high.

These cars are nicely upgraded Toyota Avalons, or maybe Camrys, NOT magic fairy-dust machines made by thousands of Virgin Unicorns (and Virgin Polyesters) at the Lexus "manufacturing facility" (/sarcasm)
But Rick, you can get a latte and your nails done while in a reclining chair.🙃😎😇
The following users liked this post:
Riick (06-24-19)
Old 06-17-19, 06:01 PM
SUNUK
Driver

I must have been lucky with my 2001 Honda Prelude. Bought it brand new put 120k Miles on it and basically never changed anything major (standard Oil/tires) oh and i remember using cheap gas so it once had loads of carbon build up which was cleaned off by a mechanic for about $50. Sold it in 2008 to a friend of mine he called me a few months back to say the car finally required an new alternator. This car must have been one of a kind.!
Old 06-24-19, 01:23 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by salvojimmy
But Rick, you can get a latte, and, your nails done, while in a reclining chair. 🙃 😎 😇

Ooooh, I can get my nails done over at JM Lexus ?? ...
Just forget anything I've said, and Sign me UP !
(( Pink?, Fuchsia with Silver tips? )) ...

The following users liked this post:
salvojimmy (06-24-19)

Quick Reply: Expensive to maintain.