ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

shake until steady speed only when getting onto the highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 03:30 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default shake until steady speed only when getting onto the highway

on acceleration there is a vibration a very slight shake until i get up to a good speed when getting onto the highway that is the only time i feel the shake its not in the steering wheel its just the entire front end feels like it shimmys left ot right until i get up to a good speed like id say from about 35 to 45 once im over 45 i dont ever feel it again until the next time i start from 0 to 45 any ideas what this could be ?
07 ES
Old 03-23-19, 02:19 PM
AyePlus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roatate and balance fixed that problem for me. Turns out I had a leak in the front tire
Old 03-23-19, 05:25 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Not sure about rotation but definitely needs tire balancing.
Old 03-23-19, 06:37 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

First tire balance then check tie rod ends and ball joints. Next would be half shafts which sounds like the problem.
Old 03-23-19, 11:58 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Half shafts 100%.
Old 03-24-19, 11:59 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Half shafts 100%.
How can i tell which half shaft it is ? is there a way to tell if its the left or right side ? i mean for me to figure out which one it is ?

ok so half shaft is what your saying thats the cv axle shaft ? is that correct if im thinking correct ?
i know the dealership replaced one of them last summer for free yes i know thats crazy to hear that the Lexus dealership replace the cv axle for free on a car that had about 200k on it but they did because one of there other dealerships screwed up some stuff when they replace the transmission early last year and as a apology for that they ended up doing alot of free work that they found orignaly they where just going to be replacing the tie rod and the engine cover that the dealership damaged and then tried to hide but then when they had the tie rod out they saw some issus with the axle where it went into the transmission i guess so they ended up replacing all that for free they used aftermarket parts but still they did all that work no charge and hopefully its that one side they replaced that went bad so that its under warranty still.

The tires where just balanced and rotated about 2-3 weeks ago and this issues was happening before that and still happened after that.
I was also thinking maybe since the tires are snow tires and they are really soft perhaps it was trying to do that until it got up to speed but maybe that was a bit crazy to think
like once i get up to highway speed the shake shimmy goes away and i don't have the issue at all on normal local citty driving its really just when i stomp on the gas to get it up to highway speeds like on the entrance ramp of the highway for instance is when i would feel this happen.
Old 03-24-19, 12:07 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

also i don'thear any popping or clicking noises when turning if it was the cv axle - half shaft wouldn't i hear this ? or is that only if it was the cv joint part of the axle ? and not the half shaft part ?
Old 03-24-19, 12:57 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
How can i tell which half shaft it is ? is there a way to tell if its the left or right side ? i mean for me to figure out which one it is ?

ok so half shaft is what your saying thats the cv axle shaft ? is that correct if im thinking correct ?
i know the dealership replaced one of them last summer for free yes i know thats crazy to hear that the Lexus dealership replace the cv axle for free on a car that had about 200k on it but they did because one of there other dealerships screwed up some stuff when they replace the transmission early last year and as a apology for that they ended up doing alot of free work that they found orignaly they where just going to be replacing the tie rod and the engine cover that the dealership damaged and then tried to hide but then when they had the tie rod out they saw some issus with the axle where it went into the transmission i guess so they ended up replacing all that for free they used aftermarket parts but still they did all that work no charge and hopefully its that one side they replaced that went bad so that its under warranty still.

The tires where just balanced and rotated about 2-3 weeks ago and this issues was happening before that and still happened after that.
I was also thinking maybe since the tires are snow tires and they are really soft perhaps it was trying to do that until it got up to speed but maybe that was a bit crazy to think
like once i get up to highway speed the shake shimmy goes away and i don't have the issue at all on normal local citty driving its really just when i stomp on the gas to get it up to highway speeds like on the entrance ramp of the highway for instance is when i would feel this happen.

Half shaft - CV axle shaft.

I don’t know any method how to check which one is bad. If they shake under acceleration they are out of balance, and since they are not expensive it is smart to replace both.
Old 03-24-19, 01:01 PM
Edgeman111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would find out which one the dealer replaced and replace the other one.
My money is on the old half shaft.
Old 03-24-19, 01:03 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Edgeman111
I would find out which one the dealer replaced and replace the other one.
My money is on the old half shaft.

I agree.
How many miles on the car?
Old 03-25-19, 05:11 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine did the same when merging onto a hwy, and it was more pronounced when the ramp was tight RH. So I first replaced the RH shaft, and it reduced the vibrations by about 60-70%. Then I also replaced the LH and they are completely gone. Note that when replacing the RH, if you are doing this yourself, you may need to get the support bracket / bearing. My old/original one was seized on solid and I couldn't reuse it...
Old 03-25-19, 12:37 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES

I agree.
How many miles on the car?
222k but they both have been replaced before i think one was replaced at 100k so one has 122k on it and the other is the one they jsut replaced and it has about like 20k or something like that on it i think
it was the driver side that they replace i was looking at the paperwork and it shows that they replaced oneo the driver side tie rods and the driver side axle they used a aftermarket axle.
so there is no known way to find out how to figure out which half shaft is bad ?
isn't the labor like 2.0 hours per side ? or does anyone know what the dealership would charge per hour if i bring my own axle in ? what is the labor time on this.
i want to get prepared for this also if i want to change the front struts which i have been planign on doing also would them having to do the axle on one side or both sides be invovled in any part of struts labor also ? or those two have nothing to do with the other so i woudlnt safe any labor time if i where to replace both ?
i would go to the dealership just because of how they do treat me good and don't give me trouble and have done several things to help me out in the past so i want to give them my business whenever possible and they do allow me to bring my own parts in they charge 125 per hour for labor and most the private shops charge 90 and hour and the dealership also has a costco service discount and they give me the 15% costco discount even if i bring my own parts so its not to much more but im wondering what is the labor price on the axles ?
also i was looking on rock auto and i saw they have only 3 brand axles cardone - trackmotive - and APWI for new axles does anyone know do any of these brans make them for the OEM parts and get them just as second parts that don't go to the dealership or which one of these brands are going ot be similair to OEM is one better than the other ?
Old 03-25-19, 12:53 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

questionf or yall i know some parts are ok to go used with but the only parts i have ever gone used with that go under the car like drivetrain and suspension parts other then when the trans was replace di used to get used parts sometimes for my shocks and struts on my cadillacs back in the day when i could find a quality OEM low mile Grade A Quality Electornics struts and never ahd any issues with those but i went on ebay and desided to look at the Axles for sale there and a few of the ones that came out on top where axles for a 07-2012 LExus ES350 used OEM from LKQ and i know LKQ is a reputable company that specilizes in all used parts that insurnace the oocmpanys buy parts form usualy for car repairs.
the one that i see is from a 2011 with 42k on it and they want 90 for one axle i havnt looked to see if they have th eother side also but wondering
if anyone would consider doing this ?
Old 03-26-19, 06:10 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
questionf or yall i know some parts are ok to go used with but the only parts i have ever gone used with that go under the car like drivetrain and suspension parts other then when the trans was replace di used to get used parts sometimes for my shocks and struts on my cadillacs back in the day when i could find a quality OEM low mile Grade A Quality Electornics struts and never ahd any issues with those but i went on ebay and desided to look at the Axles for sale there and a few of the ones that came out on top where axles for a 07-2012 LExus ES350 used OEM from LKQ and i know LKQ is a reputable company that specilizes in all used parts that insurnace the oocmpanys buy parts form usualy for car repairs.
the one that i see is from a 2011 with 42k on it and they want 90 for one axle i havnt looked to see if they have th eother side also but wondering
if anyone would consider doing this ?
Hey, considering that these OEM ones go bad at about 100K, I went with 1 new (Cardone for RockAuto) and 1 rebuit (Carquest premium - lifetime warranty), and each was around $100. I also changed the seals at the same time...
Old 03-28-19, 04:36 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I was told that i would also be good to replace this part here part number 43457-33030
what is this i cant find it aftermartker part anywhere
is this whats consider the carrier bearing ?

Last edited by ThumperPup; 03-28-19 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: shake until steady speed only when getting onto the highway