ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

09 Shaking , Vibrating

Old 09-22-18, 02:56 PM
AyePlus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Shaking , Vibrating

The car had a light vibration a few weeks ago but started shaking my whole body, the other day? The cv had a small leak in the boot but it wasnt giving me a hard time so i left it on there for a while. I got new tires from Walmart about 4 months ago and the car was driving fine. However, after the car started violently shaking around 40-55mph, i figured the tires needed to be balanced and took it back yesterday. That didnt work. It shook when on my way home but goes away a little after i pass the 40-55 mph threshold. Ive been reading about a lot of other people having these problems but id like to know what worked for you. I took it to the mechanic today for an alignment and to replace the driver side axle. He said everything look good, the alignment was a success and would not have been if there were any suspension issues. He said it was probably the tires so i drove straight back to Walmart to get them balanced, again. Well, I just picked it up and its still shaking. The mechanic said everything looked fine and of course i want to believe him but he said to bring it back if the rebalance doesnt work and Walmart said that the next option would be to replace the tires. From the research i did about the subject, my next guess would be motor mount but i dont see how. So maybe its the passenger side axle?

Last edited by AyePlus; 09-22-18 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 05:54 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

A worn CV joint should be detectable during inspection. Same with other suspension parts. I would have the tires Road Force Balanced. Also try moving the front to the rear. After that take the car back to the alignment guy and have him check that the alignment didn't change.
Old 09-23-18, 10:42 AM
AyePlus
Rookie

It’s just weird. The tires are about 3 months old and probably drive about 100 miles a week. Now all the sudden it feels like it’s hopping or stuttering. Maybe I’ll just take Walmart up on there offer and have the tires replaced.

Last edited by AyePlus; 09-23-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 02:18 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Does it happen when you are just driving at a steady pace or when you apply the brakes.
Old 09-23-18, 02:52 PM
BigPapa53
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say 40-55, that's an awful big spread. Most tire/balance issues will only affect a 5mph spread. Typically, when there's a vibration around 45mph (starts to appear a bit over 40mph and goes away a bit before 50mph) and then again @ 70-75, you have a tire that's out of round, a belt separation, a bent rim, or a bad wheel bearing. I would HOPE even Walmart would notice any of those, but anything's possible.
Old 09-23-18, 07:23 PM
AyePlus
Rookie

It only happens when I apply my foot to the gas pedal. It will coast just fine. I guess it’s more between 45-50mph. As mentioned before, I the mechanic suggest that the tires might be the culprit since it aligned just fine. I’d like to get them road force balanced but I’m gonna see if they’ll switch these tires out for newer ones or take it back to the mechanic to give it another look. I also thought wheel bearing becasue im not sure if the alignment would have caught that but if it was a bent wheel, the balancing should have caught that. I too hope that the people at Walmart would have caught anything like that but I feel like they’re not really looking into it like they say they are.
Old 09-23-18, 08:49 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It’s funny. I had the same problem but a recent alignment and new tires fixed about 85% of the problem.
Old 09-24-18, 04:56 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

My bet is on the CV shafts... I replaced both of mine at about 150K... Was a harsh drive during heavy acceleration and same cruise speeds as the OP's...
Old 09-24-18, 06:04 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 641 Posts

Driveshafts hundred percent
Old 09-24-18, 10:08 AM
AyePlus
Rookie

WELL! As I have mentioned before, I had the driver side CV replaced becasue the boot was leaking a little grease and once the shaking started I figured that if it wasn’t the tires, that leaky axle had to be the culprit. Just got back from the mechanic. Ha balanced the tires again, just Incase Walmart wasn’t doing it right, took it for a spin and the shaking was still there. Upon further investigation (putting the car in drive, applying the brake and giving it some gas) you could hear some clicking coming from the passenger side axle. Turns out, that was the side that needed to be replaced. Even though it didn’t look as bad as the other side, it was the one causing all the the shaking.

FYI @151k, if it isn’t the tires, it’s probably gonna be the axles.
Old 09-24-18, 10:22 AM
BigPapa53
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you found it.
Old 09-24-18, 11:02 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Interestingly enough, left shaft inner boot leaked on mine too, replaced the complete shaft as it was almost the same cost as replacing the boot only. The right shaft was the one causing the vibrations on mine as well, and as an advice, I would also get the support bearing replaced too, mine wouldn't come off the old shaft, so had to be replaced...
Old 09-24-18, 10:11 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

The new axle should include the support bearing; it did on the Cardone axle I purchased from amazon, part# 66-5265; and also come with a new axle nut - a good value for $65. Relatively easy install for a DIY'er; the tricky part was the C-Clip. Others have experience issues with a seize support bearing; luckily, ours slid out effortlessly once the C-clip was removed. I also installed a new trany seal - where the shaft slides into the transmission. Many a time, these seals are damaged when removing the shaft. Napa # 16194 on the pass seal.
Old 09-25-18, 05:38 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
The new axle should include the support bearing; it did on the Cardone axle I purchased from amazon, part# 66-5265; and also come with a new axle nut - a good value for $65. Relatively easy install for a DIY'er; the tricky part was the C-Clip. Others have experience issues with a seize support bearing; luckily, ours slid out effortlessly once the C-clip was removed. I also installed a new trany seal - where the shaft slides into the transmission. Many a time, these seals are damaged when removing the shaft. Napa # 16194 on the pass seal.
When I bought mine, also Cardone, from Rock Auto it came without the bearing support and bracket, had to buy it in addition to the shaft :\
I too replaced the AT seal at the same time, it was under $10 from Rock Auto...
Old 09-25-18, 07:05 AM
AyePlus
Rookie

I went with Import Direct parts from Oreily. The mechanic that installed them didn’t install the oil ring I purchased. He said they other one looked good. I wish he would have but the job is done. I probably could have done the job myself but, it’s my wife’s car and after the first axle was replaced, I would have never heard the end of it, since the car kept shaking. But since I took it to a mechanic this time. She was also trying to find a solution, instead of just blaming her dumb husband that couldn’t get it right the first time.....you know how it is.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 Shaking , Vibrating