ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car Engine failure?? $6000!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 10:58 AM
inexpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Engine failure?? $6000!!

While driving my car ( ES 2008) VSC light came on.Since I was on a major highway, I drove for about 15 more mins and then the car stopped. Had it towed to the nearest mechanic who is giving me a estimate of $6000!! for repairs. Not sure what happened and what are the repairs for? what are my best options?

Sell it
Show it to another mechanic or to Lexus service ?

shocked and confused!

Last edited by inexpert; 05-25-18 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 11:38 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I was just passing through the ES forum and saw this post. Those prices are ridiculously high in my opinion. Get a few more estimates. I understand the expense involved, but I just can't believe this shop would charge 315 dollars to do a compression test, 33 bucks a piece for Iridium spark plugs, etc...

Take the estimate they gave you and go to a few more shops. Then call a Toyota dealership and see what they would charge....
The following users liked this post:
inexpert (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 12:15 PM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would never trust a "nearest mechanic" to replacing my engine... Let alone $6000 to replace it with a engine with over 70k miles on it.

Definitely 2nd opinion needed.
Old 05-22-18, 12:51 PM
inexpert
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by reposado2
I would never trust a "nearest mechanic" to replacing my engine... Let alone $6000 to replace it with a engine with over 70k miles on it.

Definitely 2nd opinion needed.
Thanks for your reply. toyota gave the same estimate for $6000 for a 85K mile engine.
Old 05-22-18, 01:01 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I would only install a used engine into a 10 year old vehicle with 85,000 miles. There are many used ones available as Toyota/Lexus offered it in many vehicles. A Camry one would drop right in. Much less expensive. Many independent shops will also offer this service and do the used engine shopping for you.
Many larger auto recyclers also do installation. I know Brandywine (they have at least 6 yards) in the Washington DC area does because my cousin had them sell her a used engine for her MINI and they installed it. Later she got a transmission from them. https://www.brandywineparts.com/
Worth a call for installation charges as I searched and they charge $1,500 for a used ES350 engine. It may be worth the cost to flatbed your car to them.
Have your transmission fluid changed while this work is being done or it may be your next big expense.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-22-18 at 01:21 PM.
inexpert (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 01:48 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

So far I didn't hear why you need a new engine. All I see is the VSC light then the MIL go on. Something else must have happened but so far there isn't an explanation. So do you have any more info.
inexpert (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 02:49 PM
inexpert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
So far I didn't hear why you need a new engine. All I see is the VSC light then the MIL go on. Something else must have happened but so far there isn't an explanation. So do you have any more info.
When the car was taken to the repair shop, based on initial diagnostics, I was told that the engine had overheated and was driven for some time (between 15-30 min) in this overheated state. Initial tests run showed coolant temperatures at 275, and some (3 or 4 of 6) of the cylinders were misfiring - and so an engine compression test was needed to check the engine's condition. After running the engine compression test, the following were the psi pressures for the six cylinders - 210, 175, 170, 175, 170, and 190. Also, coolant pressure test failed at 1-20 psi. Based on these results, he told me the engine needs to be replaced.

Based on this description, does the engine need to be replaced? Are there more cost effective ways of solving my problem?
Old 05-22-18, 11:16 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

So, the water pump claimed one more engine?
Old 05-23-18, 05:06 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
So, the water pump claimed one more engine?
A premature failure maybe but driver error broke the engine. MIL means stop. Water temp past mid mark means stop. Why would you drive 15-30 minutes with the MIL on and not stop to see if something is wrong. Also when you see your speedometer you also see your WT gauge. Self inflected wound . Cost will vary depending on whether you get a short block (new) or a used engine. The OP needs to get a few quotes but at this point he is into the present repair service for the diagnostics.
Old 05-23-18, 03:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
A premature failure maybe but driver error broke the engine. MIL means stop. Water temp past mid mark means stop. Why would you drive 15-30 minutes with the MIL on and not stop to see if something is wrong. Also when you see your speedometer you also see your WT gauge. Self inflected wound . Cost will vary depending on whether you get a short block (new) or a used engine. The OP needs to get a few quotes but at this point he is into the present repair service for the diagnostics.
+1, unfortunately this is the reality. Shouldn't have continued driving, at the very least should have checked all critical fluid levels. This would have been immediately apparent by looking at the expansion tank; while it's possible the water temp may have still shown normal on the dashboard if there was no coolant to circulate and touch the temp sensor, a physical check would not have missed this.
Old 05-24-18, 07:37 AM
inexpert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
+1, unfortunately this is the reality. Shouldn't have continued driving, at the very least should have checked all critical fluid levels. This would have been immediately apparent by looking at the expansion tank; while it's possible the water temp may have still shown normal on the dashboard if there was no coolant to circulate and touch the temp sensor, a physical check would not have missed this.
Agreed, now planning on selling it as such, any idea on how much it would sell for?
thank you for the input
Old 05-24-18, 07:12 PM
jagtoes
Racer

You probably have salvage value now. Check your local salvage yard to see what they would pay. Also ask the mechanic who worked on it. They may buy it for $500 - $1000
Old 09-22-18, 03:30 PM
illini18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem. Began a slight stutter after starting. Check engine light & VSC light later came on. Temp guage fluctuated cool to hot.
Took it to a local reputable foreign car shop. Assessed coolant getting into cylinder 6. Recommended new engine. Old engine had 85k,
put a used 50k engine in. $5000.
Old 09-22-18, 08:17 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

what was the cause of your failure @illini18 ?
Old 09-23-18, 07:49 AM
illini18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The diagnosis was that coolant was entering the number 6 cylinder. Had to be either a breech in the cylinder wall or head gasket.
Was going to be expensive either to repair or replace the engine. I went with replace. Bought the car with 55k miles. I put over 30k
in a year. Never abused & had the oil changed every 5k miles. May do a title check to determine if the mileage was accurate or any other
historical issues.

Quick Reply: Car Engine failure?? $6000!!