Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 01:05 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Power Steering FLuid / Trans Fluid

this is for my 2007 ES350
I'm going to Firestone tomorrow to have the power steering fluid changed
they gave me a price of 79.99 weather its regular P.S or Regular DexIII trans fluid which I think it is.

I called Toyota and my Lexus dealer the Toyota dealership wanted 129 for this service and the Lexus dealer wanted less 120 for the service but I asked Toyota and they said after giving me the price of 129 that since its trans fluid that the price would jump to 159.99 dumb idiots

now I asked the service guy at the Lexus dealership he said it is and it isn't the same as trans fluid he said that some of the additives that trans fluid has they don't put in the P/S fluid
I'm all confused because all the other cars I ever owned I would just put regular P/S fluid in it.

so can someone shed more light ton if this is true does it have fewer additives or is it just Dex-3 that they use or is it the world standard fluid is a bit confuse don this.
Old 05-16-18, 05:18 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
this is for my 2007 ES350
I'm going to Firestone tomorrow to have the power steering fluid changed
they gave me a price of 79.99 weather its regular P.S or Regular DexIII trans fluid which I think it is.

I called Toyota and my Lexus dealer the Toyota dealership wanted 129 for this service and the Lexus dealer wanted less 120 for the service but I asked Toyota and they said after giving me the price of 129 that since its trans fluid that the price would jump to 159.99 dumb idiots

now I asked the service guy at the Lexus dealership he said it is and it isn't the same as trans fluid he said that some of the additives that trans fluid has they don't put in the P/S fluid
I'm all confused because all the other cars I ever owned I would just put regular P/S fluid in it.

so can someone shed more light ton if this is true does it have fewer additives or is it just Dex-3 that they use or is it the world standard fluid is a bit confuse don this.
Look in the owners manual and check the spec they require . Then go to an auto parts store and pick one out that meets that spec.
Old 05-16-18, 06:22 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

it is neither regular ps fluid nor a dex iii trans fluid
it has a special composition
Old 05-16-18, 07:35 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

So i checked the owners manual and this is what it says
and no i guess i just don't understand how all 3 shops at saying something different but the only one thats saying its actualy a Dex trans fluid is the non dealership shop
so its confusing but from reading this on page 291 - 292 in the owners manual

■ Checking the fluid level Make sure to check the fluid type and prepare the necessary items. Clean all dirt off the reservoir. Remove the reservoir cap by turning it counterclockwise and wipe the dipstick clean. Reinstall the reservoir cap. Remove the reservoir cap again and look at the fluid level. Fluid type Automatic transmission fluid DEXRON II or III Items Rag or paper towel and funnel (only for adding fluid)
Old 05-16-18, 07:57 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

the owners manula does not say how many qt's but from online searching it seems like some people are saying around 1qt of fluid is this correct for the P/S system ?
Old 05-17-18, 11:18 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 847 Likes on 644 Posts

PS fluid - Dex 2 or 3
Trans - WS
Old 05-17-18, 01:54 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
PS fluid - Dex 2 or 3
Trans - WS
hey thanks man
i also sent you a PM
Old 05-17-18, 02:11 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

It only holds a quart or so. You can do this at home with a fluid pump or Turkey Baster. Just empty the PS fluid reservoir and pour in new fluid. Go for a short drive. Repeat 3 times and you will have changed over 90% of the fluid. Cost is for one quart of Dexron III ATF plus pump or baster.

At that rate you should splurge and buy some Mobil I.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-17-18 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 02:33 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It only holds a quart or so. You can do this at home with a fluid pump or Turkey Baster. Just empty the PS fluid reservoir and pour in new fluid. Go for a short drive. Repeat 3 times and you will have changed over 90% of the fluid. Cost is for one quart of Dexron III ATF plus pump or baster.

i just ordered a new turkey baster from amazon for about 4 bucks should be here saturday
i know the hole for our res is small so i have to find the right size tubing or hose to connect to it so i can get it down and get the fluid out of the reservoir but trying to figure out what size i need to get once i figure that out then i can do this.
Old 05-17-18, 02:49 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

This is how you do PS steering:

1. Remove both hose clamps;
2. Pull the whole PS reservoir, remove the cap and pour all the oil into something;
3. Remove both hoses;
4. Put the cap in, spray inside some brake cleaner, With two fingers close inlet an outlet and shake it well. Repeat this a couple of times. This is the way you can clean the filter which is located inside;
5. Clog the inlet, put the reservoir back in, connect the outlet hose;
6. Take an empty bottle and place it somewhere under the reservoir so you can put the return hose in;
7. Fill the reservoir with fresh PS fluid;
8. Turn on the engine and let it run for one second;
9. Fill up the reservoir and turn the engine on and let it run for 1 second, repeat this a couple of times;
10. Unclog the inlet, but do you return hose back, put the clamps back;
11. No you have to correct the PS steering fluid level, it should be and COLD MAX line;

You will need a lot of towels to clean the mess. Every time I do this I have 2 l of PS fluid.
Inlet/return is the smaller one;
Old 05-17-18, 04:01 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

ok cool thank you
so the p/s filter is inside the p/s bottle res ? is this what im understanding? wondering if it might be good to just replace it is it going to be hard to get the filter out of the res ? i see that i can buy filters for around 15 to 20 bucks
and im understanding correctly your saying take the entire bottle out so don't even use a turkey baster to empty it ? just under the hose clamps pull the P/s lines cap the lines off empty p/s res bottle spray some brake cleaner in there shake now what do i do to get it to dry out from the break cleaner ? like its ok to mix some of that brake cleaner that is now in the res with trans fluid for the p/s ? am i understand this correctly?

Last edited by ThumperPup; 05-17-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 08:54 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless

i found this is this what your saying for mobil ? i know Mobil I is synthetic the their Mobil brand is not synthetic
Mobil ATF™ D/M

Engineered to provide excellent oxidation stability and help prevent corrosion

Mobil ATF D/M automatic transmission fluid provides excellent oxidation and friction stability, anti-wear properties and low-temperature fluidity desired for most automatic transmissions. Mobil ATF D/M is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:
  • GM DEXRON® IIIH transmission fluid
  • Ford MERCON® transmission fluid
  • Allison C-4 transmission
whats up with the IIIH ?

Last edited by ThumperPup; 05-17-18 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 11:13 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
ok cool thank you
so the p/s filter is inside the p/s bottle res ? is this what im understanding? wondering if it might be good to just replace it is it going to be hard to get the filter out of the res ? i see that i can buy filters for around 15 to 20 bucks
and im understanding correctly your saying take the entire bottle out so don't even use a turkey baster to empty it ? just under the hose clamps pull the P/s lines cap the lines off empty p/s res bottle spray some brake cleaner in there shake now what do i do to get it to dry out from the break cleaner ? like its ok to mix some of that brake cleaner that is now in the res with trans fluid for the p/s ? am i understand this correctly?

The filter is inside PS res and you cannot replace it.
You pull the res out and remove the hoses and the oil will go out.
Brake cleaner dries quickly but also after you clean it with BC you can put some fresh PS fluid in and shake it a bit.
Old 05-18-18, 05:46 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

I used the don't-turn-on-the-car-method coupled with disconnecting only the small diameter return line on the PS reservoir. I wouldn't remove the reservoir unless it's gummed up from neglect.
1. Remove old fluid from the reservoir - I used 3 ft of 3/8th clear tubing and sucked it out with my mouth.
2. Remove the 3/8th hose from reservoir, the smaller one of the two. Be prepared to catch excess fluid by placing old rag/towel or small container down by reservoir.
3. Plug the 3/8th hose connector (with 3/8th vacuum cap) on the reservoir and route the hose into a catch bottle.
4. Fill reservoir with new PS fluid. Type III Dexron. $12 for Startech at Walmart or $16 for Valvoline, both are in blue-gallon containers.
5. Slowly turn steering wheel end to end - this will pull new fluid into the PS rack and push out old fluid into your catch container.
Don't let the reservoir go empty - otherwise you'll get excessive air into the system. It's easier turning the steering wheel with front end lifted.
6. Keep repeating step 5 until the fluid coming out of the return hose you disconnected starts to turn same color as new PS fluid. Took 2 quarts for me.
7. Reconnect return hose to reservoir - gotta move fast so you don't lose much fluid from reservoir. You can disconnect reservoir from bracket and tilt if you want but, don't tilt too much.
8. With reservoir cap off, slowly continue turning steering wheel end to end to purge system of air bubbles. Check connections for leaks.
9. Top off reservoir level to the "cold" line, or remove fluid if it has too much.
10. Put cap back on the reservoir; turn on the car and turn wheels end to end. Check for leaks and go for a test drive. Check level when hot and top off, accordingly.

There are some good how-to utube videos from Chris Fix and Scotty Kilmer.
Old 05-19-18, 11:04 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i got a bottle of mobil 1 full syntehtic atf Fluid that is Dex III compatible from what it says on the bottle at peperboys 1qt on sale for 9.75 after tax

Quick Reply: Power Steering FLuid / Trans Fluid