ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es 350 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 05:54 PM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es 350 issues

About 5 months ago, I bought a 2012 es 350 with 74k miles, purchased the gold extended warranty. Drives like a dream.
took it to the dealership for my first first oil change and 80k maintenance (early). Got the car back, drove out of town 3 hours away, on the way back, check engine light comes while doing 80 mph, heat stops working then it dies.
get it towed the dealership, they tell me it overheated, no coolant. I don't understand, b/c it was just at the dealership 2 days prior. I'm pissed, more than likely the engine is toast, and I'm still waiting for info from the warranty company. They want the engine torn down a little more to see exactly where the leak is.
WTF!
Old 05-08-18, 09:44 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Well, were you keeping an eye on the coolant temp gauge during the drive?
Old 05-10-18, 01:01 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

Bad water pump.
Old 05-10-18, 03:47 AM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

The dealer is still looking into it
Old 05-10-18, 07:45 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Happened to me around 80k miles a few years ago. Was driving in heavy traffic on a surface street and saw a wisp of steam, looked down at the temp gage and it was towards the H. Quickly pulled over and shut off the car. I think these ES water pumps fail fairly quickly and having to constantly look at the gage is not a reasonable requirement to drive the car.

Luckily I didn't sustain any engine damage that I have been aware of, but if I had been on the interstate I am afraid it might have killed the engine.
Old 05-10-18, 08:17 AM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PYT419
About 5 months ago, I bought a 2012 es 350 with 74k miles, purchased the gold extended warranty. Drives like a dream.
took it to the dealership for my first first oil change and 80k maintenance (early). Got the car back, drove out of town 3 hours away, on the way back, check engine light comes while doing 80 mph, heat stops working then it dies.
get it towed the dealership, they tell me it overheated, no coolant. I don't understand, b/c it was just at the dealership 2 days prior. I'm pissed, more than likely the engine is toast, and I'm still waiting for info from the warranty company. They want the engine torn down a little more to see exactly where the leak is.
WTF!
oh I'm pretty sure the engine is toast, no, constantly looking at the temp gauge is not reasonable.
Old 05-10-18, 09:36 AM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh I'm pretty sure the engine is toast, no, constantly looking at the temp gauge is not reasonable.
In addition to the gauge rising, the car should've also had a warning light illuminate- - - a complete lack of coolant might also indicate that the rad or hose developed a leak.

Regardless- good luck. The ES is otherwise a wonderful automobile . . .I'm on my 4th one.
Old 05-11-18, 04:15 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

If you can't see your water temp gauge when you glance at your speedometer then you get what you got. Do you check your fuel gauge or just wait until you run out of gas. Maybe the auto mfg's should send you a text or put it on FB when the WT gets to hot.
Old 05-11-18, 04:20 PM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

when you drive do you watch the dashboard or the road? So it's my fault that the radiator wasnt working properly when i just got it back from the dealer with an all clear? No reason to be an ***!
Old 05-11-18, 04:50 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water temp is something I watch religiously on all my cars, even now... just force of habit since the old days of my '67 Chevelle overheating. Back then we only had water in the radiator. I have to admit I wouldn't think a car that just got serviced would go through this, so I wouldn't expect it for sure. Huge bummer! I wonder why the dealer didn't catch something then, or did something just happen to fail coincidentally right after. In any case, good luck. I hope this gold warranty will cover the expense of repair.
Old 05-11-18, 04:55 PM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

I'll for sure pay closer attention now. Reviews don't look too good for the warranty company. Now, the waiting game.
Old 05-11-18, 06:59 PM
jagtoes
Racer

when you drive do you watch the dashboard or the road? So it's my fault that the radiator wasnt working properly when i just got it back from the dealer with an all clear? No reason to be an ***!
Driver error . When was the last time you checked your fluids prior to the 80 mph excursion. They usually put instruments so people could read them. So if you were sharp enough to read your speedometer then you should have seen your water temperature. Good luck
Old 05-11-18, 08:01 PM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

Jackass, the fluid were checked 2 days prior. Learn to read
Old 05-12-18, 05:55 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Jackass, the fluid were checked 2 days prior. Learn to read
According to your post they only changed the oil. You failed to mention if they checked the other fluids such as the PS , Brake and coolant. You might want to reread your post. For future reference if the little needle in the water temperature gauge moves past the half way mark (that's right of it) then you are starting to have a problem and should pull off the road and check the cause. Check all of your fluids once a week . Good luck
Old 05-12-18, 06:01 AM
PYT419
Driver School Candidate

You should read before you criticize, it specifically states 80k maintenance. I know how to drive and operate a vehicle. Since you know everything and want to tell me what I didn't do, what did I do to make the radiator fail and leak?

Quick Reply: Es 350 issues