ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Very important info Es owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 05:30 PM
Crazybrit
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very important info Es owners

Hello everyone I know there’s a huge tread on this subject and other treads I’m sure.
This is the real truth about this problem I bought my es350 about a month ago it’s a 2007 with 120000 miles on it I have noticed some engine noise only for the first few seconds on starting.I’ve seen thanks to club Lexus that there was a recall on this problem being something to do with the cam gears draining while the car sits for some while.So I called my local dealer tom wood Lexus they told me that the recall was not extended after the 70000 mark or 7 years after talking to a tech there he told me that eventually the cam gear could become locked up causing a huge amount of internal engine damage.this is a huge concern for those that hear rattles on start up as the recall no longer applies to my car I asked what it would take to fix the problem $8000!!! dollars more than I payed to buy the car so I called Lexus USA head quarters the lady I talked to was very helpful and curtious she has now passed this on to a higher authority she told me they would get back to me promptly I will keep you all up to date on what they say.
Old 05-07-18, 04:01 PM
Jakerh22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the noise you hear?
Old 05-07-18, 08:04 PM
Crazybrit
Rookie

The noise is a knocking sound as you start the engine it only lasts a few seconds.
Lexus got back to me today unfortunately unable to help being as I didn’t buy the car from a Lexus dealer it was sold as seen. So my next avenue is to try to stop the noise by adding some STP it’s a thick gunky stuff you can add to oil to thicken it slightly I’m gonna add about half a bottle. I will let everyone know how that works out.
Thank for reading!
Old 05-08-18, 09:14 PM
Fjoelli
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post! My 07 makes the same noise when it starts up. I've only had the car for a few months and I didn't notice the noise until about a month ago (it has probably been making the noise since I got it). I really hope that it's not something serious that is causing damage to the engine, or a sign of existing damage. I don't want to take it to the dealership because I know that they will tell me I will have to pay $175 to have the problem diagnosed. My family and I love this car and I want to keep it for as long as I can. It has about 105k miles and other than a leaking front axle (which I am planning on replacing very soon) it is in great condition. Please let me know what you find out about this problem and I will do the same.
Old 05-08-18, 09:38 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

What weight oil is in the engine and have you checked the dipstick on level ground to make sure the level is on the full line? I wouldn't have put STP in the engine yet; that stuff will thicken the oil weight and I don't think that's what you want at this point.
Old 05-09-18, 04:31 AM
Crazybrit
Rookie

I’m thinking this. I run Mobil one 5w30 the cam gear we’re talking about drips down at the car sits so my way of thinking is this makes the oil thicker meaning it wouldn’t drip down.also Mobil one is thin and very slick as in viscosity so by adding something to thinken mean that gear would hold the oil longer
Old 05-09-18, 03:43 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a ton of hits about this problem on google across different Lexus and Toyota models. Seems it's more common in cold weather. Also seems that Lexus knows about it and calling it piston slap and says it's normal. You can read more on the various threads google pulls up... many from this site. https://www.google.com/search?source....0.9N7RKF-bOng
Old 05-11-18, 06:03 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazybrit
I’m thinking this. I run Mobil one 5w30 the cam gear we’re talking about drips down at the car sits so my way of thinking is this makes the oil thicker meaning it wouldn’t drip down.also Mobil one is thin and very slick as in viscosity so by adding something to thinken mean that gear would hold the oil longer
You will not fix a mechanical problem with an oil additive.
Old 05-12-18, 01:20 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello everyone I know there’s a huge tread on this subject and other treads I’m sure.
This is the real truth about this problem I bought my es350 about a month ago it’s a 2007 with 120000 miles on it I have noticed some engine noise only for the first few seconds on starting.I’ve seen thanks to club Lexus that there was a recall on this problem being something to do with the cam gears draining while the car sits for some while.So I called my local dealer tom wood Lexus they told me that the recall was not extended after the 70000 mark or 7 years after talking to a tech there he told me that eventually the cam gear could become locked up causing a huge amount of internal engine damage.this is a huge concern for those that hear rattles on start up as the recall no longer applies to my car I asked what it would take to fix the problem $8000!!! dollars more than I payed to buy the car so I called Lexus USA head quarters the lady I talked to was very helpful and curtious she has now passed this on to a higher authority she told me they would get back to me promptly I will keep you all up to date on what they say.
sorry
i do not mean to add fuel to the fire but you still happy with Tom Wood ?
Old 05-12-18, 06:14 PM
Crazybrit
Rookie

Yeah this problem has nothing to do with Tom wood
Old 05-12-18, 08:00 PM
aboger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Slap

I have a 2007 ES350 with 75,000 miles on it. I has had that noise since I acquired the car years ago, when it had 20,000 miles on it. IT IS NOT SERIOUS. I did a lot of research on it, and am very happy to report that it really is not a problem--sure I can't back it up right now with links, but I have a Buick LeSabre that has had this piston slap for over a decade, and it now has 177,000 miles and going strong. There are other cars that do this too, so don't even think about getting it repaired, just drive and enjoy the car. You will get 200,000 miles from this engine. Use the recommended oil, NO ADDITIVES, and change it on schedule, and DON'T WORRY about it!
Old 05-12-18, 10:06 PM
mkubo
Rookie

I don't know why people insist this is normal or acceptable. While the car may run fine once oil has circulated, was the car (or any car) designed to be this way? I don't think so. I sure hope my 2010 doesn't develop this! The IS and I think the GS have a TSB on this very issue... if it is in fact the cam gears issue.

Here's the IS version of the tsb
Attached Files
Old 05-13-18, 09:15 AM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

nor normal and does cause long term engine damage, confirmed by a master diag tech at Lexus
Old 05-16-18, 06:09 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We have 2 cars with the same 2GR engines in our family. Both have the same engine noise from day 1, and both are at 200K miles now... Take this for what it's worth
Old 05-16-18, 03:28 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Might be moreso a cold climate problem. None here in Hawaii, so don't hear a thing.

Here's a link to a ToyotaNation thread on the subject. Lots of photos and vids... and quite browser heavy.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-...-start-up.html

Last edited by mkubo; 05-16-18 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Very important info Es owners