ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Uneducated In Car sounds-Grinding sound while turning Left or Right & you can feel it

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 06:27 PM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneducated In Car sounds-Grinding sound while turning Left or Right & you can feel it

ny husband passed away recently & he always diagnosed car problems. I can barely describe this sound much less diagnose it. I’ve read many other threads & didn’t feel I found an answer. Car trouble HORRIFIES me!! I’m in Texas and this week it’s been below freezing a lot. Tuesday I came home from work nothing out of place or sounding weird. An hour later I go to the car and it sounded like a blender when I started it and as I backed out I could hear and feel this strange noise that was similar to a whine/grind. Very similar to how it sounds if you accidentally put in lower gear and try driving fast. This sound happens when turning either way as well as just driving straight. When idle, there is no noise or feeling. I have power steering fluid. I just (6 months ago) got all new breaks and rotars and front axels..? I think that’s why it was.
Here’s a link to what is happening
I’ve seen all the smart people on here and thank you all in advance!
Old 01-17-18, 07:12 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi I just noticed your TPMS light is flashing!! I just got mine fixed! The thread is very recent.

As for the sound, I think it means there might be air bubbles or leak in your power steering system. Did you recently had work done on the power steering system? Like as in a flush from a mechanic?
Old 01-17-18, 07:28 PM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Thank you first off for taking the time and replying. I bought this car used in 2014, Ive had fairly good luck,normal wear and tear etc.I dont know what was done before me, but *I* personally have never done anything with the PS fluid or any part of the PS. It isn't leaking that I can see on drive and the level is high. That is, unfortunately, the extent of my knowledge... I had been driving so when I started it, there was no "blender" sound hahah I will capture that in the morning!!

Ya that TpMS or whatever light has been on for awhile, I cant pay to get a new sensor! So I deal!
Old 01-18-18, 02:44 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Power steering fluid is low, or the pump is going south.
Can you take a photo of the power steering reservoar?
Maybe you have a leak somewhere.
Old 01-18-18, 05:21 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, like the others posted above, the noise is coming from the power steering system due to either low fluid, bad pump or bad rack. Also it could be seized i-shaft joints. The easiest is to confirm the fluid level, and then try to figure out where the noise is coming from...

For TPMS, I didn't want to pay for sensor(s) either, so I disabled the light in the dash. A system check will still tell you what sensor it is, but the light will be off. I wrote how-to thread for this on the forum here...
The following users liked this post:
Aginn10 (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 05:34 AM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

This am.

fixibg to read the posts too
Old 01-18-18, 05:42 AM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Power steering fluid is low, or the pump is going south.
Can you take a photo of the power steering reservoar?
Maybe you have a leak somewhere.
I can take a photo of whatever you think is helpful! I will look up where the PS fluid is and take a photo sum time today, definitely.
Old 01-18-18, 05:43 AM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by igzy
Yeah, like the others posted above, the noise is coming from the power steering system due to either low fluid, bad pump or bad rack. Also it could be seized i-shaft joints. The easiest is to confirm the fluid level, and then try to figure out where the noise is coming from...

For TPMS, I didn't want to pay for sensor(s) either, so I disabled the light in the dash. A system check will still tell you what sensor it is, but the light will be off. I wrote how-to thread for this on the forum here...
Thank you, I’ll for sure check that out!! What’s a bad rack? What are seized I-shaft joints?
Old 01-18-18, 06:13 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Aginn10
Thank you, I’ll for sure check that out!! What’s a bad rack? What are seized I-shaft joints?
This is the steering rack, it turns the wheels, bad usually means teeth on the internal bar are worn out or damaged:

The intermediate (i)-shaft has 2 joints and they are known to seize, the part itself connects the steering wheel to rack and is inside the steering column (behind dash) and comes out the firewall, looks like this:

This is the overall steering system diagram (naming convention varies in industry, here i-shaft includes steering joints and rack includes gearbox):

Last edited by igzy; 01-18-18 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 10:01 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aginn10
I can take a photo of whatever you think is helpful! I will look up where the PS fluid is and take a photo sum time today, definitely.
Just take a photo of the small white bottle on the passenger side, you’ll se some lines and hot/cold.
Old 01-18-18, 02:22 PM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Default Fluid reservoir

Ok here is the power steering fluid. I could see it bubbling as the car was on. I don’t know if it’s low but it LOOKED low in general?
Old 01-18-18, 02:28 PM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by igzy
This is the steering rack, it turns the wheels, bad usually means teeth on the internal bar are worn out or damaged:

The intermediate (i)-shaft has 2 joints and they are known to seize, the part itself connects the steering wheel to rack and is inside the steering column (behind dash) and comes out the firewall, looks like this:

This is the overall steering system diagram (naming convention varies in industry, here i-shaft includes steering joints and rack includes gearbox):

Wow! That was truly an education &EXTREMELY informative!! It’s so nice of you to take your time to lay all of that out for me, and in general with all the people on here. I think, in my limited experience and knowledge, it almost has to be something w/the fluid or the pump itself because it snuck up out of no where, no early warning signs or nothing. I’m thonking with all those parts and involved working pieces you described, it just seems like there would’ve been more of a chance of early warning signs. Of course again, I know how to drive and when to change my oil and thus close to it.
Old 01-18-18, 05:07 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

You should check the level woth the entine off.
Take some photos with the engine off.
Old 01-18-18, 07:53 PM
Aginn10
Driver School Candidate

Default New pics

ok well this may not be sufficient. It looks like there’s no fluid when you look down in it. Do I do the dipstick just like it were the oil?
Old 01-18-18, 08:33 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds and looks like your PS fluid is low and some air got into the system. I suggest, with the engine turned off, fill the PS fluid up to the proper level, about 3/4 way of the narrow part of dipstick. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and all the way to the left about 10 times. It should bleed the system, the air bubbles will come out into the PS reservoir and the noise will disappear. Then re-check the PS fluid level with the engine off. Add PS fluid if necessary. Good luck.

P.S. Make sure you use the proper type of fluid, look at the PS reservoir cap, it will say what is required. I think it's DOT4, you can get it anywhere.

Last edited by arnieosp; 01-18-18 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Uneducated In Car sounds-Grinding sound while turning Left or Right & you can feel it