Car vibrates/shakes during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 08:08 AM
DrTaTa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car vibrates/shakes during acceleration

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I just got my Lexus ES350 2008 from inheritance.

I am having this issue of where when I accelerate past 40mph (sometimes) to 60+ (most of the time) I get a vibration or shake and I feel like its on the driver side. It doesnt shake when i cruise or brake. I have not done an inspection yet but I feel like it might be the tire? or a CV joint from what I read from your forums so far. Please let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-04-18, 08:45 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (07-28-20)
Old 01-04-18, 10:40 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I’m leaning towards a wheel/tire or cv axle as well, but obviously start with the cheap fix. Get the tire balanced and go from there
ChudiM (12-07-21)
Old 01-04-18, 12:15 PM
DrTaTa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I’m leaning towards a wheel/tire or cv axle as well, but obviously start with the cheap fix. Get the tire balanced and go from there
I have just gotten back from an alignment and tire balance. According to the shop my front axles were wayyyyyyy off and needed an alignment bad and they threw in tire rotation and balance for free so that was a good 122 bucks I spent. The shaking issue did not appear afterwards so thank god I didnt need to replace the CV axles which I asked and they quoted me for 390 bucks. Thank you guys for your advice I shall be staying around this forum you guys are awesome.
MrEs350 (01-09-20)
Old 01-07-19, 03:46 PM
Jimmyrich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the same issue but now it is fixed

A bent axle was the cause of my '07 ES350
Originally Posted by DrTaTa
Hello Everyone,

I am having this issue of where when I accelerate past 40mph (sometimes) to 60+ (most of the time) I get a vibration or shake and I feel like its on the driver side. It doesnt shake when i cruise or brake. I have not done an inspection yet but I feel like it might be the tire? or a CV joint from what I read from your forums so far. Please let me know what you guys think.
DrTaTa have the axle checked. Pepboys told me to change tires which didnt help the situation. After that I took mine to a trusted mechanic because i didnt want to play the trial and error game. They put it on a left and showed me how the axle piece would bow when accelerating.

Last edited by Jimmyrich; 01-26-19 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 04:10 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

Did the car car sit for a while? If it sat for a while your tires might have a flat spot or out of balance. Usually if your tires are out of balance around 50mph your steering wheel starts to shake badly. Could also be the CV like you said. I swapped mine out because the rubber on the Cv joints were dry rotted but it didn’t drastically affect the ride. Once I swapped out the front CV joints and all four stabilizer bar bushings it did tighten up and quiet down the ride big time.

Originally Posted by DrTaTa
Hello Everyone,

Old 01-07-19, 04:27 PM
Jimmyrich
Driver School Candidate

Default Had the same issue but now it is fix

The stirring wheel didnt shake. The entire car would shake. My mechanic showed me how the axle would move when accelerating. He replaced it and now it runs smoothly.
Old 01-25-19, 09:16 PM
ESBabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been having this issue with my 09' ES for about 3 months and it has gradually been getting worse, I also noticed that while driving on the highway you can feel the some type of hard jumping/skipping/shaking/vibration (cant really explain how it feels) on the front passenger side directly next to passenger wheel...I replaced the brake rotors and it helped a little but the vibration is still there...So it could be an axle on the front passenger side?
Old 01-03-20, 08:26 PM
IWES350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ESBabe
I've been having this issue with my 09' ES for about 3 months and it has gradually been getting worse, I also noticed that while driving on the highway you can feel the some type of hard jumping/skipping/shaking/vibration (cant really explain how it feels) on the front passenger side directly next to passenger wheel...I replaced the brake rotors and it helped a little but the vibration is still there...So it could be an axle on the front passenger side?
what was the fix for your issue?
Old 01-06-20, 10:04 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

It most likely was the passenger side CV shaft. Ours have similar vibration upon acceleration. Bought a Cardone on amazon for $70 or so, plus replaced the transmission seal with a Napa seal, about $12. The issue with replacing these shafts is that the carrier bearing can seize up. Happens to Camry V6's also. Our car is garaged and it saw little wet and cold weather; hence, the shaft slid right out.
IWES350 (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 03:06 PM
ESBabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IWES350
what was the fix for your issue?
Both CV axles needed replacement. However the Indy shop that I had do it was HORRIBLE the car had to be taken back to them 3 times because seals weren’t properly put on and fluids were leaking out of the car NOT to mention my steering wheels alignment was off. When I was driving straight the wheel wasn’t centered, and still isn’t to this day because they couldn’t do that properly, not to mention I bought a tire from them to put on my A6 and it exploded the next day so I returned the tire and they gave me a free replacement and it also blew up, so now I will never do business with this Indy shop AGAIN. I did only pay $500 for the CV axle replacements. I should’ve just went to Firestone and payed the $800....So make sure you find a reputable shop to do the work, so you won’t end up with the headache like me.
Old 01-07-20, 03:32 PM
IWES350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
It most likely was the passenger side CV shaft. Ours have similar vibration upon acceleration. Bought a Cardone on amazon for $70 or so, plus replaced the transmission seal with a Napa seal, about $12. The issue with replacing these shafts is that the carrier bearing can seize up. Happens to Camry V6's also. Our car is garaged and it saw little wet and cold weather; hence, the shaft slid right out.
Thanks. That was my next best diagnosis after looking thought these threads and talking to mechanic friends about the symptoms.

And yes, the Carrier bearing is seized. Fun times. Haven’t worked on it to hard yet, will let pb blaster soak over night and give it some more hits tomorrow night. If that doesn’t seam to budge it might have to go the cutting route to get the bracket out.
Old 07-10-20, 04:41 PM
atilla19
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration when accelerating 2009 ES350 140K

I have the same issue of vibration only when accelerating firmly from ~40 to 60. Bearings tight, tires OK, alignment OK, brakes OK. I replaced the broken upper motor mount, no change. Lower mounts look OK, and motor top moves about an inch or so back and forward when shifting P-R-N-D. No noise from the outside universals driving in tight circles hard right and hard left, and no movement pushing them up/down. All boots look perfect - some grease on passenger side but could be ATF. The driver side inside universal has some movement, maybe 2mm when I push it up/down. Passenger side a little less play. I attached a video of passenger side inside universal idling with tire off. Is this expected movement of the shaft? Is this a "maybe" or "likely" the cause of the vibration? Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mov
pass shaft move 3s.mov (4.84 MB, 1327 views)
Old 07-11-20, 12:00 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

That shaft is shot. That's why you have that vibration.
atilla19 (08-26-20)
Old 07-11-20, 07:44 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by atilla19
I have the same issue of vibration only when accelerating firmly from ~40 to 60. Bearings tight, tires OK, alignment OK, brakes OK. I replaced the broken upper motor mount, no change. Lower mounts look OK, and motor top moves about an inch or so back and forward when shifting P-R-N-D. No noise from the outside universals driving in tight circles hard right and hard left, and no movement pushing them up/down. All boots look perfect - some grease on passenger side but could be ATF. The driver side inside universal has some movement, maybe 2mm when I push it up/down. Passenger side a little less play. I attached a video of passenger side inside universal idling with tire off. Is this expected movement of the shaft? Is this a "maybe" or "likely" the cause of the vibration? Thanks
Before you commit to the axle, just have a shop check it out. It would be a shame to do all that work for nothing.

Quick Reply: Car vibrates/shakes during acceleration