Originally Posted by 02SDGS
There we go, glad you are enjoying it.
Thanks! Excited to have it
Old 11-26-17, 11:30 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
You just can’t compatr the ES with the Camry.
Originally Posted by jkayca
The I4 is seriously under powered. I test drove one and the V6 version when shopping for my ES. There's no comparison between the two.
I was not so much comparing the two as offering my opinion based on what he wanted. He said he's trying to "reduce my monthly expenses and drive a car that gets better gas mileage." The I4 Camry will get almost twice his trucks mpg, maybe more. This will be a 2nd car; so, I still opine the Camry is a wiser choice than a Lexus for that role.

And it is not 'seriously' under powered. My daughter has one, and it has no problem going over a long hill near our house with 4 adults.

And since I am a DIY, the I4 Camry is a dream to work on compared to our ES350.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 11-26-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 06:00 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jkayca
The I4 is seriously under powered. I test drove one and the V6 version when shopping for my ES. There's no comparison between the two.
0-60 mph Camry I4 7.9 seconds = same as a 1990 LS400 V8
Old 12-09-17, 06:58 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Maintenance records aren’t a non consideration on a 10 year old car. I just shopped the 14-17 year old market and the availability of records spoke volumes about how the cars was cared for in general.

Op congrats on your new ride! Here’s to 300k
Old 12-11-17, 10:26 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Maintenance records aren’t a non consideration on a 10 year old car. I just shopped the 14-17 year old market and the availability of records spoke volumes about how the cars was cared for in general.

Op congrats on your new ride! Here’s to 300k
Thank you, really enjoying the car. Needs a few things but hooping it will last me a very long time.
Old 12-11-17, 11:31 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
I was not so much comparing the two as offering my opinion based on what he wanted. He said he's trying to "reduce my monthly expenses and drive a car that gets better gas mileage." The I4 Camry will get almost twice his trucks mpg, maybe more. This will be a 2nd car; so, I still opine the Camry is a wiser choice than a Lexus for that role.

And it is not 'seriously' under powered. My daughter has one, and it has no problem going over a long hill near our house with 4 adults.

And since I am a DIY, the I4 Camry is a dream to work on compared to our ES350.
I too am a DIYer, and that may be so only for engine work, and like you said, the rest of the body is the same between the two My dad has an '07 i4 Camry LE so I know first hand.

Gas mileage wise, '07 i4 Camry averages ~25 mpg on mixed drive, and I get 27 mpg with my 10+ year-old ES on mixed drive...

Lastly, when I was shopping for cars a few years ago (time I got the ES), used V6 Camry's were going for more $$ than same year ES's, hence I got the ES

So, IMO, ES is a waaaay better deal than the Camry in every aspect...
Old 12-11-17, 05:53 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I think its because when people shop used, they automatically discount a Lexus because they think it'll cost too much. Thats why cars like the Infiniti QX4, I30/35, and Lexus ES and RX are often cheaper than their more "generic" counterparts once they hit a certain age.
Old 12-12-17, 06:40 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I think its because when people shop used, they automatically discount a Lexus because they think it'll cost too much. Thats why cars like the Infiniti QX4, I30/35, and Lexus ES and RX are often cheaper than their more "generic" counterparts once they hit a certain age.
Yes, very likely! People shy away from used premium vehicles in fear of high (premium) repair costs. For DIYer, they come at bargain prices. The cars you mentioned were all on my short list
Old 12-12-17, 07:20 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Yes, very likely! People shy away from used premium vehicles in fear of high (premium) repair costs. For DIYer, they come at bargain prices. The cars you mentioned were all on my short list
This is only true for Lexus and Japanese luxury cars, not so much for the German luxury brands. Even then, this only applies if you do all your maintenance or have it done at an independent shop. The Lexus dealership service dept will still charge premium prices though.
Old 12-13-17, 05:28 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToledoRX
This is only true for Lexus and Japanese luxury cars, not so much for the German luxury brands. Even then, this only applies if you do all your maintenance or have it done at an independent shop. The Lexus dealership service dept will still charge premium prices though.
Yeah, very true. Once upon a time, I had a 5-series BMW, and parts were amazingly very expensive, even for DIY it wasn't worth it. E.g. BMW OEM oil filter was like $15/pc whereas Toyota/Lexus one is $5. Lexus parts OEM and aftermarket are really priced well. It helps greatly that, for example, ES shares the same platform as Camry so commonly replaced parts are quite affordable (brakes, engine parts, etc.). Service wise, when in need, I take my ES to a Toyota dealer where $hop rates are competitive, whereas for German brands you don't have such an option with dealers...
Old 12-13-17, 11:23 PM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Yeah, very true. Once upon a time, I had a 5-series BMW, and parts were amazingly very expensive, even for DIY it wasn't worth it. E.g. BMW OEM oil filter was like $15/pc whereas Toyota/Lexus one is $5. Lexus parts OEM and aftermarket are really priced well. It helps greatly that, for example, ES shares the same platform as Camry so commonly replaced parts are quite affordable (brakes, engine parts, etc.). Service wise, when in need, I take my ES to a Toyota dealer where $hop rates are competitive, whereas for German brands you don't have such an option with dealers...
You're RIGHT; absolutely...
Old 12-14-17, 09:03 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Anyone who says Camry and ES are similar cars I don't think so, only the comfort access and touch start button is worth getting the ES not to mention the better interior and exterior quality. I have kept a IS250 two owners, had major engine problems around 150k Miles.
The following users liked this post:
ralphtc (01-07-18)
Old 12-16-17, 05:23 AM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking about buying a 2007 ES350 170K miles for $5,000...

What do you folks reckon my 2007 ES350 car would go for?
Original owner, 44K miles, no major issues.
No accidents, no battery replacement, no major part replacement etc.
New all season tires last month (first tire change).
Regular oil changes and services, documented.
Old 12-17-17, 04:43 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if the car is perfect then id say 9 maybe 10K would be top. But hey, the price is what people are willing to pay for it. run autotrader and see where you should be on price.

btw "no battery replacement" is not a good thing, if thats what you meant. Good Batteries last 3-5 years depending on the climate..tops. after that you basically have to replace it even if the car just sat in a garage all these years.. run a test on it and they will tell you how much life is left.

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Speaking about buying a 2007 ES350 170K miles for $5,000...

What do you folks reckon my 2007 ES350 car would go for?
Original owner, 44K miles, no major issues.
No accidents, no battery replacement, no major part replacement etc.
New all season tires last month (first tire change).
Regular oil changes and services, documented.

Quick Reply: Considering high mileage 07.....