ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Should get an inspection at the Lexus dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 12:18 PM
ellsmirip2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should get an inspection at the Lexus dealership?

I purchased a pre-owned '07 ES350. Should I go through the Lexus dealership to get it looked at ($200) vs another place for $45? I know Lexus has specialized technicians and I don't mind spending extra money. Is it really necessary though?

And in case anyone asks. I purchased the car before inspecting it because my dad used to be a mechanic and he said everything with the car looked good as far as he can tell. That might not be a very good reason and a bit of a risk but that's what we did.

Thanks

edit: I decided it would be best to go through a dealership so that's what I ended up doing.

Last edited by ellsmirip2; 08-21-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 05:44 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Just don't expect that everything will be perfect after. I had whole vehicle inspections by both Toyota (the free one with every service) and one by Lexus that I paid for and was replacing both axles, a power steering rack, struts, and motor mounts are on my list next. Istarted having to replace them about 10k miles after the inspections which I requested because my expensive aftermarket warranty was about to expire (which it did).
Old 08-22-17, 06:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

In my experience the dealer will find more things wrong that they claim have to be repaired than will the independent shop. Do not let the higher price fool you into thinking it means you will get a better inspection at the dealer. It means they will take more money from you and find more ways to take more from you, possibly for repairs that are not needed. The other place does not have the big overhead of a dealer and sales folks ( service advisors) that work on commission to help you.
For a 10 year old vehicle I would never go to the dealer unless some Lexus specific electronic thing broke or there was a recall or TSB. This means most major mechanical stuff, the stuff that usually wears out, can be handled by the independent shop for a lot less money.
This is why dealers love recalls, they get to then inspect your car, find a lot more stuff they claim needs to be fixed for a high price.
Old 08-23-17, 12:29 PM
bucfan22
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call your dealer with your VIN to see if there is/are any safety recall for your lexus. Most likely the airbag thing if it has not been done yet. if not then you can schedule and tell your service guy about inspection your car while they are at it. I got it for free, they print out a long list of what should be done with the car and most of those are an arm and leg to fix at dealer. Also, don't think that dealer techs are the best neither, on my car oil leaking, they said it is Timing Belt Cover leak which would cost $3500 to fix, my mechanic finds out that the Power steering pump and high pressure hose leak.