ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-5th-gen-2007-2012-180/)
-   -   Door lock actuator problem (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-5th-gen-2007-2012/857872-door-lock-actuator-problem.html)

CCotton 05-28-17 09:03 PM

Door lock actuator problem

I have a 2009 ES350 with the all to common door lock actuator problem. Both front door actuators and one rear door actuator are either intermittent or not functioning at all when the lock/unlock switch is used. None of the doors are responding (locking or unlocking) to the key fob. I've researched this issue and found some good information, but there's still a piece of the puzzle missing.

I replaced the driver's door actuator, but obviously made a mistake in connection with the outside door handle. When I looked at the replacement actuator, I missed the small lever at the bottom that apparently is pushed down when the outside door handle is pulled up. I removed the old actuator and installed the replacement with only a slight problem getting it to fit. (I now believe that was due to the unit hitting someone connected to the outside door handle.) After reinstalling the door panel, the lock switch is working properly on the driver's door and I can open the door from the inside. However, the door will not open from the outside. When I pull up on the handle, the door seems to release and it will move about an inch, but it will not come open. If I shut the door and try again, the outside door handle has no effect, i.e. it is as the door is locked but it is not. If I open the door from the inside and close it again, the outside door handle repeats the process.

I'll be pulling the door panel off tomorrow to see if I can fix this problem without having to remove the new actuator. Any hints and warning would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chas.

nevernu 05-29-17 08:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here is what the manual says on removal/install, maybe something missed

CCotton 05-29-17 11:28 AM

I was able to correct my mistake easily and without having to remove anything other than the door trim panel and the new actuator. The door “open rod” has plenty of travel to allow me to simply push down the actuator cradle (not the proper term) and slide the “open rod” into it. Then I simply raised the actuator back into place and bolted it in. For folks who have not yet had to do this, the “open rod” slides through the “cradle” and extends below it.

Thanks nevernu. Those pages will come in handy, especially the one with the complete door control system. The lock/unlock system has been very erratic. Sometimes the key fob would open all doors, sometimes only select doors and sometimes it would not open anything. Eventually, nothing would open or lock. The same is true of the lock buttons on door handles and the keyless entry feature with the fob in your pocket.

For some reason that escapes me, all these systems started working once I installed the new left front door actuator. This is true even though the right front door actuator needs to be replaced because of intermittent operation and the left rear actuator doesn’t work at all.

I hope the rear actuator is as easy to replace as they are on the front doors.

Thanks again for the diagrams.
Regards,
Chas.