ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What service should I get at 120K

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 07:10 AM
babyduke
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What service should I get at 120K

My 2009 just hit 120K miles (75% high way). Other than regular oil changes, it has not received any major maintenance since the 30K service from the dealer.
Please help me with a list of things I should get done (ie which fluids to change, tuneup, etc).

Thank you so much!
Old 05-22-17, 07:30 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

If it hasn't had any of the fluid changes or services since 20k except for oil changes.
I would have all the fluids changed P/S Coolant Transmission I wouldn't have a flush take it to a Lexus dealer they will just drain what they can and fill it up as per Lexus recommendation.
I bet if you have had the breaks done already perhaps then they probably have already changed break fluid so that I wouldn't worry about that. I would also have the spark plugs replaced.
If the V-belt has not been replaced, have that changed also. Plugs at the dealership remember
service is good for preventive maintenance.
Old 05-22-17, 07:50 AM
babyduke
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping to get it done at my trusty mechanic's instead of the stealership.

Is tuneup the thing of the 80's and not apply to this model?
Old 05-22-17, 09:55 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Use the info on page 61 of the pdf document (the Scheduled Maintenance Log) here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...2009&type=omms

Last edited by oldgrump; 05-22-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 01:51 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by babyduke
I was hoping to get it done at my trusty mechanics instead of the dealership.

Is tuneup the thing of the 80's and not apply to this model?
I hate that word stealership; not all dealerships are like that.

I would not trust a local mechanical shop to put the toyota coolant in I bet they would probably put in and use what ever generic coolant they had laying around.
Also I would not trust them to mess with the transmission they have to spend lots of money on those transmission flush machines, so they need to sell that service to use them but those are power flush machines, and they may clean out the trans beautiful and good, but they also have been known to knock things loose that shouldn't be loose or lodge crap in places it shouldn't be Lexus Has actually told all their dealerships not to use a power flush machine on the cars.
And the Power steering fluid is transmission fluid in our vehicle i wouldn't trust a local mechanic not to use whatever power steering fluid they have and use the correct fluids we need for our cars.

for tuneup we don't have part pug wires they are coils and only time you need to change a coil is is its bad if its not bad now and it goes bad after they do the job then you can call Lexus up and complain I bet they will replace it for free unless its somehow coroded onto the plug then they might need to change it but
with basic tune up for your vehicle its a spark plug change that's recommended at 120k I believe expect to pay about 1.9 hr labor I think is what it calls for and 17--18 per plug at the dealership
I also wouldn't trust a local corner mechanic to use the proper plugs

I trust the dealership more than other places
Old 05-22-17, 07:20 PM
nguyent8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I hate that word stealership; not all dealerships are like that.
True. I also trust the dealer to do major work than local shop. As my car ages, I tend to visit the Toyota dealers more than the Lexus ones. Feel the Toyota dealers do pretty good job too.
Old 05-22-17, 07:37 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by nguyent8
True. I also trust the dealer to do major work than the local shop. As my car ages, I tend to visit the Toyota dealers more than the Lexus ones. Feel the Toyota dealers do pretty good job too.
I find here locally to me that the Toyota dealerships are just about the same price it
's 110 and hour labor at the toyota dealership its 115 and hour labor right next door at the lexus dealership.
The parts are actualy really close to the same price withing about 5% not to big of a difference their. for example the toyota dealer wanted 810 for the exhaust manifold for the same part at the lexus dealer next door it was 890 i didn't pay that i payed much less for it from a dealer on the other side of the country. however i went to the dealer for the service to have it put in.
the one thing about the dealership i like going to lexus it shows that i have a loyalty to the brand and when i have a issue they always treat me well.
the rear control suspension arms seized up from sitting outside over the winter when the airbag recal was waiting and the dealership quated me like 600 for it i called lexus customer care up told them what was going on they called the dealership and said to bill it as a warranty job and lexus paid for it on a car that was 10 years old with 170k on it. why did they do this because they checked with lexus and saw my service history with them.
Old 05-22-17, 07:42 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

True. I also trust the dealer to do major work than local shop. As my car ages, I tend to visit the Toyota dealers more than the Lexus ones. Feel the Toyota dealers do pretty good job too.

Also, my service consultant is great he always gives me like 10 to 15 % off of work even when I bring my own parts in like after taxes I paid 240 to have the cat replaced, and I saw the price before discount was like 288 so he took 48 dollars off of that. Also, i asked him to check my v belt and said if it needs to be done to replace it he said that his tech said it was fine they could have made another 150 - 200 off me for that, but they didn't
and i get my oil changes done there unless they can't get me in and I'm in a hurry then I go to the Toyota next door to have it done the Lexus dealer has 3 oil changes 3 inspections and 3 tire rotations services so I get 3 services x3 for 150 and he usually takes another 20 off of that, so I pay 130
Old 05-22-17, 10:31 PM
nguyent8
Driver School Candidate

Also, my service consultant is great he always gives me like 10 to 15 % off of work even when I bring my own parts in like after taxes I paid 240 to have the cat replaced, and I saw the price before discount was like 288 so he took 48 dollars off of that. Also, i asked him to check my v belt and said if it needs to be done to replace it he said that his tech said it was fine they could have made another 150 - 200 off me for that, but they didn't
and i get my oil changes done there unless they can't get me in and I'm in a hurry then I go to the Toyota next door to have it done the Lexus dealer has 3 oil changes 3 inspections and 3 tire rotations services so I get 3 services x3 for 150 and he usually takes another 20 off of that, so I pay 130
Sounded like you got good relationship with them. When I was in Seattle area, they always sent me service coupon if they thought I hadn't visited them for a while.
Now in the Bay area: (Lexus vs. Toyota, all before tax, "service specials"):
- synthetic oil change: $ 105 vs. $ 60
- tire rotation + Balance: $ 100 at Lexus $ 55
- cabin air filter: $ 80 vs. $ 45
The only things I miss about Lexus dealers are the loaners.
There was one time I got my rear brake pads replaced. Cost $ 200 but got a very nice loaner for 3 days. They needed my car for more than 2 days (it was pretty ridiculous)

Last edited by nguyent8; 05-22-17 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:16 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Sounded like you got good relationship with them. When I was in Seattle area, they always sent me service coupon if they thought I hadn't visited them for a while.
Now in the Bay area: (Lexus vs. Toyota, all before tax, "service specials"):
- synthetic oil change: $ 105 vs. $ 60
- tire rotation + Balance: $ 100 at Lexus $ 55
- cabin air filter: $ 80 vs. $ 45
The only things I miss about Lexus dealers are the loaners.
There was one time I got my rear brake pads replaced. Cost $ 200 but got a very nice loaner for three days. They needed my car for more than two days (it was pretty ridiculous)
When I lived in South Florida I would take my care in for service JM Lexus is where I went down their-their regular price was 175 per hour labour I know insane but the guy I delt with always gave me the insurance rate which was like 110 an hour for labour.
He also would do full inside and outside, and under hoot details for like 90 dollars it was crazy I could go in for a detail pay 90 bucks get a loaner car and wait like 4 days until it was done lol they were really busy they actually had a fleet of 250 loaner vehicles it's one of the largest Lexus dealers in the county and rated number 1 in the country.
I would say I miss that dealership the most because they had a 6 or 7 hole putting green on the roof lol. I also miss when I lived in Denver I would go to Kuni Lexus they had a billiards table and a movie theatre there lol.

the other thing that not many people are aware of is
when you get work done at a Toyota dealership vs. Lexus dealership toyota dealerships warranty work you have to go to the same Toyota dealership if something goes wrong with and its 12 months 12k

When you have service and work repairs done at Lexus dealership with Lexus OEM parts you get a 12 month unlimited mile warranty, and you also get that warranty right at any Lexus dealer in the U.S and Canada
buy tires at a Toyota dealership you don't get anything extra with it buy the same tires at a Lexus dealership for about the same amount of money maybe a few dollars more you get road hazard for 2 years and its covered through Lexus at any dealership not only the service department where you bought them.
Old 05-23-17, 10:18 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, oil, spark plugs, and cabin and air filter. Transmission fluid would be ideal as well. Some will say waterpump, but unless it's leaking there's no reason to.

As for the dealership vs indie arguement, I believe the dealer is great for stuff where the margins are smaller, oil changes can, fluid flushes, and the like, but for repairs such as brakes, radiators, and larger more common automotive repairs,, do it yourself or find an independent. For example, I just paid $1000 for a new radiator at the dealer knowing full well my indie would have charged half, but I needed a car and they let me keep the loaner for 4 days. Alternatively, I was quoted at $192 the serpentine belt ( a 5 minute procedure on a GS) which is just ridiculous.

So I guess it depends on the repair and if you have a trusted mechanic. For me it's pretty convenient going to the dealer and having a car to use, and my dealer has a program where 20% of the cost of repairs can be used towards the purchase of a car from them and can be accumulated for a period as long as seven years and sometimes this amount is doubled, so there are advantages. I should follow this up though that if there are issues that are model specific, unless your mechanic is extremely well versed in that particular brand, I've seen where the dealer ended up being cheaper because they were able to identify the problem right away after seeing it over and over again where as an indie may have a harder time dianosing the issue.

I do try to avoid chains though, Firestone, Goodyear, Mavis, only because their costs are nearly similar as the dealerships and there seems, at least in my experiences, to be way less accountability for mistakes or sloppy work at those places when compared to an independent or dealer.
Old 05-23-17, 01:54 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

oh also if you have a Costco members use this link
because some dealerships not all but a majority of areas will have a dealership that will offer you a 15% discount on service and parts with your Costco membership don't call the dealer to ask them because they won't know all the time I have had times where some know, and some have never even heard of this however they are in the network and accept it so just click the link to the Costco auto program and enter your info and find out if there is a Lexus dealer near you that offers this

https://m.costcoauto.com/parts_and_service/

my dealership is not in the Costco discount program
this is why my service guys give me 10 to 15% off most of the time 15 Sometimes, even more, depending on what it is
but they give it to me because they are not in their program and I could go somewhere else that is but I like them so this is another thing I like
The following users liked this post:
nguyent8 (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 09:37 PM
nguyent8
Driver School Candidate

oh also if you have a Costco members use this link
Thanks. Good to know. I love Costco. I bought tires from Costco and got free lifetime rotation + rebalance (which I love to do every 7K miles, saving me $ 50 each time).
Old 05-24-17, 11:17 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Not keeping track of tires, oil changes, and air filters ... here is our Lexus' history:

105000 01/10/13 ATF flush (WS); 894 reverse light mod
117910 02/20/13 Spark plugs NGK Iridium; AF
118500 03/02/13 KYC radiator; SuperTech coolant; Gates belt
132000 10/26/13 Brake pads; OEM turned rotors
133050 11/16/13 CSF radiator (KYC refunded under warranty); coolant flush (SuperTech)
138217 02/26/14 VVTi Oil lines (Allan Family)
155050 11/02/15 Alternator (Oreillys); Idler pulleys; coolant (radiator only); Gates belt
157800 02/27/15 ATF filter & flush (Valvoline MaxLife)
173000 12/19/15 Front brake rotors/pads-Maxbrakes; Front brake kit-ACDelco
173800 01/10/16 Gates Thermostat and coolant flush (SuperTech)
174100 01/16/16 Rear engine torque strut mount (DEA)
178970 04/27/16 Alternator replacement under warranty (bad voltage reg)
180450 05/21/16 AC Delco Rotors
182400 07/04/16 Brake fluid flush
182700 07/09/16 Pass brake caliper (Autozone)
184845 08/20/16 Pass side lower BJ (Moog) and pass wheel bearing & hub (Dura kit)
186113 09/10/16 Brake pads (Oreilly’s Select) and resurfaced AC Delco rotors
187460 10/08/16 Lower control arms (with bushings); left BJ; Sway arm links. OE Brands/FPD sold by MacAutoParts.net
188240 10/22/16 Rear pads (Wagner) and rear rotors (Dura)
191720 01/15/17 pass wheel hub (Dorman) and wheel bearing (Timken). (Dura hub was defective).
197770 05/21/17 Rear engine torque strut mount (eBay autoenginemounts).

Except for the oil line, I have done all the work. Knock on wood ... still on original water pump; no trany flare; no problems with pass window.

I run Valvoline Max ATF on all my Toyota products and don't believe in the magical powers of Toyota coolant - red, pink or otherwise. I've always replaced OEM coolant with universal coolant and have never had coolant/cooling problems, including a water pump failure. As you can see, I did have a radiator problem, but that was a factory radiator that started leaking before I changed the coolant.

Run Mobil 1 Extended Synthetic oil and replace at 10K, with any brand of synthetic oil filters.
Old 05-24-17, 11:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^ in regards to coolant are you running the Zerex Asian formula? Or something like prestone