ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Value of replaced passenger airbag

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 04:53 PM
coscino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of replaced passenger airbag

Our 2007 ES just got totaled by insurance a week after getting the passenger airbag replaced by Lexus - after a 8 month wait. They are using comparables that don't have the airbag replaced but aren't giving any 'value' to having it done. I can't find an ES for sale that seems to have the airbag replaced like ours. Anyone have input on the 'value' of having it replaced?
thanks
Old 04-21-17, 07:29 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by coscino
Our 2007 ES just got totaled by insurance a week after getting the passenger airbag replaced by Lexus - after a 8 month wait. They are using comparables that don't have the airbag replaced but aren't giving any 'value' to having it done. I can't find an ES for sale that seems to have the airbag replaced like ours. Anyone have input on the 'value' of having it replaced?
thanks
There isn't any additional value for the replaced airbag.
Old 04-21-17, 08:08 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there is any additional value in having it replaced, since every car will get it eventually. But I would argue that a car that hasn't had it replaced yet has a loss in value, as it is crippled because you're not supposed to drive it with anybody in the passenger seat. It would be like trying to sell a car that is way beyond the mileage limit on the timing belt. The buyer could negotiate a price reduction since it will need to be done.
Old 04-22-17, 02:05 PM
coscino
Driver School Candidate

My thoughts agree with KLF - there should be a price difference between a car that has had it replaced compared to one that has not as those without the replacement are 'dysfunctional' - cannot have someone in the passenger seat. My concern with the insurance company comps is that none of them have a 'new' passenger airbag. Personally I would not buy one and have to be put back on a waiting list for the parts even if it will not 'cost' me any dollars, as they say time is money. Lexus thought so as they supplied us with rental sedan for the entire 8 months - not a Lexus for sure but a car that would seat 4-5 people..

After waiting 8 months we had no plans to sell ours but I would have certainly asked a premium for having the new airbag. I think 'market' value would be different. I will try calling a few that are for sale and see if bringing up the airbag leads to quick discounts. What would 'you' do if you were buying one?
Old 04-27-17, 08:59 PM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The major issues is that the value of the car has dramatically dropped due to the extended wait time for airbags. Otherwise, you don't have much of a case. The car does not gain value from having a recall done. Realistically, you're going to get less for your car than you have if there was no recall.
Old 04-28-17, 09:12 AM
coscino
Driver School Candidate

Smile All settled with Insurance

Ok so insurance would not officially recognize and value any difference difference with or without airbags, however, they did add an additional $1,100 in other discretionary lines to up the overall value of my totaled car so they made me 'content' with the bottom line number. But it did take some discussions and emails with them to get this done. I did check the NTS records for lots of local VIN numbers of advertised cars - none showed up as being done - I do suspect that Lexus dealers are fixing their individual owners before that do any other dealer owned cars.
Anyway all done with that and off to shop for a newer ES (2013-2015) that doesn't have the airbag issue.
thanks for the input.
Old 04-28-17, 09:59 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Just out of Curiosity what did they value your car at you didn't mention that
Old 04-28-17, 01:42 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by coscino
Ok so insurance would not officially recognize and value any difference difference with or without airbags, however, they did add an additional $1,100 in other discretionary lines to up the overall value of my totaled car so they made me 'content' with the bottom line number. But it did take some discussions and emails with them to get this done. I did check the NTS records for lots of local VIN numbers of advertised cars - none showed up as being done - I do suspect that Lexus dealers are fixing their individual owners before that do any other dealer owned cars.
Anyway all done with that and off to shop for a newer ES (2013-2015) that doesn't have the airbag issue.
thanks for the input.
glad you were satisfied with the payout. The airbag has no additional value, because they are all covered under the recall for free. So even buying another one that hasn't had the recall completed. It isn't worth less money, because you can get it replaced free. Granted it's an inconvenience, but not a big deal.
Old 04-28-17, 02:02 PM
coscino
Driver School Candidate

Coleroad - really beg to differ on your thoughts, 'not a big deal' - when you need to haul 4-5 people around, real big deal not to mention the liability if you did allow someone in the passenger seat and had an accident - real, real big deal!. All while you wait, wait, wait. If the recalls were just a matter of getting inline at your time of choice, I would agree but not with the very long wait periods.
Just glad my insurance found a way to 'value' it for me.

ThumperPup - 2007 Lexus ES350; 107,860 miles; all extras, except Navigation/BackUp, including read power sunshade; zip code 76258. They used CCC One for the valuation
In their terminology:
Base Value (adjusted for milieage) = $8,740
Condition (Very Good) Adjustment = $711 (adjusted upwards from $611 originally)
"Refurbisment" ? = $100 (part of what they added)
total vehicle value = $9, 551
tax, tile = $596.94 + $151.50
"Appraisal Clause" = $1,000 - rest of what they added