ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

dead batter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 07:00 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Since your car is out on the farm, you may want to consider a solar powered battery tender that you place on the dash and plug into the power outlet, or connect to the battery and lay on the windshield or hood (since no one is around to steal anything). These are available online from Amazon or Home Depot. My cousin uses one for his 1986 Merkur XR4ti that he will never sell but which he rarely drives anymore.
Old 03-02-17, 10:22 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a great recommendation
Old 03-02-17, 03:14 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

something like this ?
Amazon Amazon

now the question about this is the cigarette outlet doesn't it only work when there is power going to the car ?
so i would not be able to use it unless i had the power to the car active like the button pushed to the start but none running accessory mode ?
so that won't do me any good if im correct right ?
i would still have to have it connected to the batter itself ?

and then i can't leave this on the windshield id be affraide that a big snow storm would come in and wipe it out if im not thinking incorrectly ?
so again am i correct in the only option i would have is to take the battery out of the car and plug it into a battery tender since i can't leave these eletrical items out due to weather reasons.

i did take the battery out of the car today took the battery to the dealer they are doing a deep cycle charge overnight for me to first test the battery itself ot see if its bad and if its good then when i get it back it will have a full charge they said. then ill put it back in the car if the thing is dead in another day or two then ill know its something other than the battery and there might be a short that is pulling power from something else that just won't turn off.

i couldn't even jump the car today when i tried to go out before removing the battery thats how dead the battery was.
i use a portable power bank that i got at costoc to jump start the car and it works great but it doens't have enough juice to start the car when the battery was 100% dead i guess
Old 03-03-17, 05:00 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

If the dealer is recharging the battery they should also have the test equipment to tell you if the battery is any good. They can do a load test and also test each cell to determine if it is good or bad. Charging it on a 20-30Amp charger is only one step in determining if the battery is any good. As them to tell you the results of testing the battery so you don't waste your time reinstalling it and having the same problem. If it passes all of the tests and you still have a problem then you have a short in the car somewhere.
Old 03-03-17, 07:07 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are going to jump start a car with a completely dead battery you need to let things sit for a bit after connecting up the jumper cables (assuming the battery isn't bad and just drained).
Old 03-03-17, 07:26 AM
Clutchless

Wire the solar charger to the battery, then run the cords inside the car (nothing fancy, just route them through the door opening and close the door, the weatherstrip will handle it) and place the solar part on the dashboard so that it is protected from snow and rain damage. You just need one with long enough wires...
Old 03-03-17, 07:29 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Wire the solar charger to the battery, then run the cords inside the car (nothing fancy, just route them through the door opening and close the door, the weatherstrip will handle it) and place the solar part on the dashboard so that it is protected from snow and rain damage. You just need one with long enough wires...

ok thank you i will do that thanks much for the help here
Old 03-03-17, 07:30 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
If the dealer is recharging the battery they should also have the test equipment to tell you if the battery is any good. They can do a load test and also test each cell to determine if it is good or bad. Charging it on a 20-30Amp charger is only one step in determining if the battery is any good. As them to tell you the results of testing the battery so you don't waste your time reinstalling it and having the same problem. If it passes all of the tests and you still have a problem then you have a short in the car somewhere.
when i go to to pick it up today ill ask if they did the load test also if they didn't then ill ask them to do it and wait for the results.
Old 03-03-17, 07:32 AM
Clutchless

Advance Auto Parts will do a battery load test for free.
Old 03-03-17, 07:45 AM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point, your battery is dead. All your settings are lost. The battery needs to be fully charged from a battery charger otherwise you might burn out your alternator. If you can't drive the car and Lexus will pay for the tow, why are you going to spend more money on it? Just let it sit.

I'm in the same position, but I disconnected the battery and let it sit in the backyard.
Old 03-04-17, 10:18 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

A battery tender/maintainer will work if your battery is fully charged. They are not chargers unless they put out 2+ amps. So trying to charge a dead battery with one may strain it to death. And your car battery is not designed to discharge/charge/dishcarge/charge... That can lower its longevity greatly, unless you have an AGM battery, which I doubt. After the battery is charged, you need to load test it. Insist on that with the dealer if they charge it. The load tester is a relatively cheap $30 device. I recommend a charger/maintainer in the 3+ amp range.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 03-04-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 11:30 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

i took the battery to the dealer on thursday they put it on the charger over night charged it then they did a load test it came back testing fine they didn't charge me for any of this.
i took it put it back in the car and car started up fine.