ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What's the one thing you like the most/least about your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 10:19 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the one thing you like the most/least about your ES350?

I'll start but I'm using my father-in-law's car as a reference:

Most: Body styling - this is a beautifully shaped and proportional car - the more I look at them the more I like them. Nice wheels and a 2" drop would make this thing really stand out in a great way

Least: Audio - the standard audio system is shockingly deficient - enough for my 70 year old father-in-law to comment on how poor it is. I think his '94 LS400 and his 2001 Avalon had better audio

What's your most/least favorite thing?
Old 09-30-16, 12:10 PM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most: Reliability-The car has 128k but it is much more reliable than my previous brand new cars. No funny noise, not leaking/burning oil
Least: Paint- it is good but paint chips off quick. I can live with that though

Last edited by fomenter; 09-30-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 12:14 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fomenter
Most: Reliability-The car has 128k but it is much reliable than my previous brand new cars. No funny noise, not leaking/burning oil
Least: Paint- it is good but paint chips off quick. I can live with that though
reliability is a really big deal for me. I just can't have a car that causes a lot of interruptions in my life and costs me a bunch of money.
Old 09-30-16, 12:49 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

What I like:
Body styling
Comfortable ride
Overall reliability

What I don't like:
Paint is soft. Chips easily
Slow to respond to the gas pedal
Audio could be better (I have the standard package)
Old 09-30-16, 01:34 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

That's two people in a row to mention paint. What's the deal with the paint? I remember when my father-in-law first got his we spent a long time out in the garage filling in little white dings with touch up paint. There were actually a lot of them. I didn't think much of it then. I thought maybe the car had seen a lot of dirt road action, although there aren't many commonly driven dirt roads in Southern California
Old 10-01-16, 04:56 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ride & comfort.

Although my drivers seat is finally wearing down. Spoke with the dealer yesterday who will replace the seat & back cushions for around $950 and put my original seat cover back on. Trying to make this decision because I freaking love this car!

The audio did suck, but it no longer does now that I have redone the entire system.
Old 10-01-16, 05:33 AM
kodavis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really interested in the responses on this thread. I currently own a 2005 ES330. It is a very comfortable and smooth riding car. However, the way the transmission behaves is unbearable. It never seems to know the correct gear to be in and it is very jerky. The lag time is awful. This is a shame as it is otherwise a very nice car. I've only had it for 5 months but I'm considering getting rid of it sometime next year for an ES350. I would probably go with the 2010 - 2012 model since I want the factory Ipod integration. I haven't seen anyone mention negatives about the transmission in these cars so that's a good thing. Can anyone whose owned or driven both the 330 and 350 compare?
Old 10-01-16, 06:30 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't get used to the sluggish acceleration, but then I came form a 2007 SC430 ad it was pretty peppy. I'm surprised at the gas mileage; this week looks like I am getting 27.6 on this tank. Pretty shocked. My SC430 was getting 18 so that's nice.
Old 10-01-16, 06:31 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

"Our" ES350 is the wife's daily driver. I do get to drive her to dinner every Saturday. When I do, I like the soft comfortable drive. It's quiet and has a strong pick up. Rear seating is rather roomy.

What I don't like about it are the controls. I'm used to ***** and dials on my Tacoma and my girls' Corolla and Camry. Maybe, cause the controls are so different from the other cars. The steering controls are easy as they are similar to mine and the Camry. But everything above the stereo I end up asking the wife to set them. 't

I also don't like the plastic covers over the engine bay. They trap heat and I don't think they serve any performance feature. I have them out at the moment because I'm about to replace the control arms and need to raise the engine on each end some. I think I'm leaving off the panels for good this time around.
Old 10-02-16, 08:35 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I tool my engine covers off a couple of years a go when replacing my headlights. Despite being careful I managed to break a couple of tabs. What a PITA. The engine was dirty anyway, so I didn't see the point on putting the covers back on. Haven't looked back since.
Old 10-02-16, 09:15 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I love my 07 Lexus for the ride and classic lines of course. When I was shopping for cars I never considered a Lexus but the style and color of my car is what got me to the dealers lot. But one of the strange things I loved best though was the dealer service especially during the years I had an extended warranty. They were on the lookout for every little thing and treated me like a valued customer. On the con side I initially hated I could not see properly out of the rear view window but once I got a backup camera mounted that was no longer an issue.
Old 10-02-16, 10:11 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

The combination of power and fuel consumption. The best on the market.
Old 10-03-16, 08:16 AM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(+)
Overall comfort
reliability

(-)
visibility out the back (base model)
not as smooth or quiet as I'd like
Old 10-03-16, 01:35 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
The combination of power and fuel consumption. The best on the market.
This. I got over 30 mpg today on my 150 mile daily commute zipping through traffic too. Love the cooled seats too.

I do wish the ride was softer .
Old 10-04-16, 07:39 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
This. I got over 30 mpg today on my 150 mile daily commute zipping through traffic too. Love the cooled seats too.

I do wish the ride was softer .

Me too, but with the proper tire pressure it's not bad.

Quick Reply: What's the one thing you like the most/least about your ES350?