ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus ES350 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 09:39 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting. I don't have time to look it up right now but I imagine that NHTSA has a list of all the confirmed incidents.
Old 12-14-16, 07:19 AM
BGElliott
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Macklin
In further conversation with a different service writer, he indicated that there are no reports of an issue with Lexus air bags. And the bags we have are different than the ones that are 'problematic'. But because they are Tekata bags, Lexus is being proactive in the recall.

Can anybody's confirm this?
This is very interesting. I just left a VM for my service writer and will ask him this questions as well.
Old 12-15-16, 09:44 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TagaNegros
I owned a CPO 2008 Lexus ES350 that I bought in 2009 with 19,100 miles. It now has 40,031 miles with no problem whatsoever. I received a Takata Airbag Inflator recall around June 2016. I haven't heard anything about it so on 8/22/2016, I submitted a feedback online asking when I am going to finally get the recall fix because my wife and I are both retired and we only have one car to go around town and we could not even pick up and take our grand kids out because of it. The only response I got is, "we will let you know when" and "to ask a Lexus dealer if they could offer me a loaner". I asked the dealer, I was told that they are not authorized to issue a free loaner. I like my Lexus very much but I am afraid to take a chance driving it. I am thinking now to sell it but I could not sell it to t private party because of the recall. And of course the dealer will only give me a minimum amount if I trade it in. Lexus does make good car but their response to a problem is slow. Meanwhile, they are making money while we wait. I'm now looking for a new reliable non Lexus CPO.
I was in the same boat as you with my Mercedes E350. I received note of airbag recall last December. Dealer and Mb-USA refused to offer a loaner or short lease at discounted rate. After a year of driving it and praying each time not to get into accident, I decided to cut loses and sold it to CarMax for $500 below what trade-in value was shown. CarMax never gave hard time about selling it. I loved my Mercedes but I didn't want to risk my life and life of family because of that airbag. So if you have means, sell it to CarMax or any other fair used car dealer and move on. You life and lives of your loved ones worth more than any dollar amount, and pick the car that you like but know that other car manufacturers handling that recall not any better than Lexus does.
The following users liked this post:
TagaNegros (12-21-16)
Old 12-21-16, 07:48 AM
TagaNegros
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES350 recall

Originally Posted by PapaLeo
I was in the same boat as you with my Mercedes E350. I received note of airbag recall last December. Dealer and Mb-USA refused to offer a loaner or short lease at discounted rate. After a year of driving it and praying each time not to get into accident, I decided to cut loses and sold it to CarMax for $500 below what trade-in value was shown. CarMax never gave hard time about selling it. I loved my Mercedes but I didn't want to risk my life and life of family because of that airbag. So if you have means, sell it to CarMax or any other fair used car dealer and move on. You life and lives of your loved ones worth more than any dollar amount, and pick the car that you like but know that other car manufacturers handling that recall not any better than Lexus does.
I bought an Audi A6 Plus Premium but kept the Lexus as evidence in the hope that after 7 months or so, someone would start a class action lawsuit to force Toyota to stop Toyota from manufacturing anymore ES350 until the recall is completed or I would hope the government (NHTSA) would do it's job to make Toyota honor the recall immediately. Also, I don't want to sell nor trade-in my Lexus until the recall is completed because I don't want anyone to suffer the same damage as others if an accident happened. Again, I believe it is unfair for Toyota/Lexus to continue to sell and to make money while we suffer without due compensation for their mistakes. The least they can do at this point is to offer a free loaner while they sit on their butt waiting for Takata to manufacture the parts needed to fix the problem. I will probably sell my ES350 after they fix the recall. Thank you for your constructed feedback.
Old 12-21-16, 09:40 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TagaNegros
I bought an Audi A6 Plus Premium but kept the Lexus as evidence in the hope that after 7 months or so, someone would start a class action lawsuit to force Toyota to stop Toyota from manufacturing anymore ES350 until the recall is completed or I would hope the government (NHTSA) would do it's job to make Toyota honor the recall immediately. Also, I don't want to sell nor trade-in my Lexus until the recall is completed because I don't want anyone to suffer the same damage as others if an accident happened. Again, I believe it is unfair for Toyota/Lexus to continue to sell and to make money while we suffer without due compensation for their mistakes. The least they can do at this point is to offer a free loaner while they sit on their butt waiting for Takata to manufacture the parts needed to fix the problem. I will probably sell my ES350 after they fix the recall. Thank you for your constructed feedback.

just a suggestion i see you are in CA correct i know that CA is one of the states on a zone A list from what i understand
call lexus directly ask them to look up your vin information also explain where you car has been registerd
i know that if a 2007 lexus es350 such as my car was registered in the state of Florida it was a Zone A i remembre someone saying CA cars where zone a also.
if you have a zone a vechile Lexus will give you a rental vechile as a loaner however you are reasponsible for keeping your current vechile in a stored area and you canot drive it at all the miles will be checked and confirmed on your lexus with the recall issue and if you drive it at all they will not pay for the rental vechile.

My 2007 ES350 with 169k miles on it and lexus is paying for a rental vechile from hertz for me until the recall is completed.
Old 12-26-16, 08:48 AM
TagaBago
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus ES350 recall

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
just a suggestion i see you are in CA correct i know that CA is one of the states on a zone A list from what i understand
call lexus directly ask them to look up your vin information also explain where you car has been registerd
i know that if a 2007 lexus es350 such as my car was registered in the state of Florida it was a Zone A i remembre someone saying CA cars where zone a also.
if you have a zone a vechile Lexus will give you a rental vechile as a loaner however you are reasponsible for keeping your current vechile in a stored area and you canot drive it at all the miles will be checked and confirmed on your lexus with the recall issue and if you drive it at all they will not pay for the rental vechile.
My 2007 ES350 with 169k miles on it and lexus is paying for a rental vechile from hertz for me until the recall is completed.
My 2008 Lexus ES350 has now 41,396 miles and is due for an oil change at 42,200 miles. You are right, it belongs to Zone A, I will then ask the dealer if they could provide me a free loaner. Thanks you. Meanwhile, I'm having a terrific fun and peace of mind driving my CPO 2015 Audi A6 3.0 Premium Plus with my wife in front and our two grand kids in the back.
Old 12-26-16, 02:04 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TagaBago
My 2008 Lexus ES350 has now 41,396 miles and is due for an oil change at 42,200 miles. You are right, it belongs to Zone A, I will then ask the dealer if they could provide me a free loaner. Thanks you. Meanwhile, I'm having a terrific fun and peace of mind driving my CPO 2015 Audi A6 3.0 Premium Plus with my wife in front and our two grand kids in the back.

If there Dealer gives you issues with it by saying they don't provide loaners dont' assume they are just being a jerk or anyting.
My service wrighter told me that mine was the frist Long term loaner he has ever had to wright up for for a problem such as this.
They also won't give you a lexus loaner they will take you to somewhere like Hertz or enterprise or one of the big rental companies and rent you a ccar chances
are it will be a Toyota Camry or Hyundai santa or something along those lines. I have a Passat VW
i also have to call Lexus Customer Service Directly to make sure this went smooth once the service guy told me he wasn't sure what I was talking about since he never had to deal with anything like this then Lexus took care of it for me
, and I just had to go to the dealer, and that was that.also, you will need to store your own car 2008 es350 somewhere else Lexus will not provide storage for the vehicle and if they find out you have driven your ES350 will in the loaner rental care they won't pay for the rental car.I have my es350 2007 Zone A in Storage at a friends farm i went to start it a few weeks ago and the heat wouldn't' work i wanted to take it to the dealership to have them look at it just to make sure that it wasn't a major issue they had to get permission from Lexus just to allow me to drive my car form my friends farm to the dealership just so it didn't screw up with miles and to make sure Lexus wouldn't' say that they won't cover the rental if they see it had more miles. When i parked the car I had to take a photo and email a photo of the Odometer to the Service Manager at the dealership to show what the miles are that way they will see that no more miles will be on it when it is time for it to be service for the real and if there ar more miles on it than it supposed ot have they wont pay for the rental car.
Old 12-27-16, 10:59 AM
TagaNegros
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 Lexus ES350 recall

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
If there Dealer gives you issues with it by saying they don't provide loaners dont' assume they are just being a jerk or anyting.
My service wrighter told me that mine was the frist Long term loaner he has ever had to wright up for for a problem such as this.
They also won't give you a lexus loaner they will take you to somewhere like Hertz or enterprise or one of the big rental companies and rent you a ccar chances
are it will be a Toyota Camry or Hyundai santa or something along those lines. I have a Passat VW
i also have to call Lexus Customer Service Directly to make sure this went smooth once the service guy told me he wasn't sure what I was talking about since he never had to deal with anything like this then Lexus took care of it for me
, and I just had to go to the dealer, and that was that.also, you will need to store your own car 2008 es350 somewhere else Lexus will not provide storage for the vehicle and if they find out you have driven your ES350 will in the loaner rental care they won't pay for the rental car.I have my es350 2007 Zone A in Storage at a friends farm i went to start it a few weeks ago and the heat wouldn't' work i wanted to take it to the dealership to have them look at it just to make sure that it wasn't a major issue they had to get permission from Lexus just to allow me to drive my car form my friends farm to the dealership just so it didn't screw up with miles and to make sure Lexus wouldn't' say that they won't cover the rental if they see it had more miles. When i parked the car I had to take a photo and email a photo of the Odometer to the Service Manager at the dealership to show what the miles are that way they will see that no more miles will be on it when it is time for it to be service for the real and if there ar more miles on it than it supposed ot have they wont pay for the rental car.
Again, thanks for your feedback.