ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any info on Takata airbag recall...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 10:54 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
All this recent discussion and not one mention of the fact this recall involves only the passenger side airbag?

I just wanted to mention that. So if you drive the car with no passenger then the pass. airbag should not deploy, or maybe some of you drive from the pass. seat, I don't know.
Old 03-06-17, 05:40 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

If anyone is concerned about getting killed by the airbag then go have it disconnected. It's a simple 1 wire disconnect and it is disabled.
Old 03-06-17, 04:06 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then you'll be more likely to die in any head-on collision just from not having an airbag.

Might as well drive the car off a cliff then make sure to blow it up and burn it too.
Old 03-07-17, 06:47 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Moose Engineering
Then you'll be more likely to die in any head-on collision just from not having an airbag.

Might as well drive the car off a cliff then make sure to blow it up and burn it too.
It seems that the "sky is falling" mentality about this issue wouldn't make a difference. You would die either way in your opinion which I doubt. If you don't have an air bag but use your belts then the likely hood of dying is lower but if you don't even wear the belt the likely hood is greater .
The following users liked this post:
lgb0250 (03-22-17)
Old 03-17-17, 01:09 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...lah2alofaq.pdf

Latest info on the anticipated remedy dates for the ES.
The following 4 users liked this post by kbyer:
cwoods817 (03-19-17), nevernu (03-17-17), PoorES (04-03-17), topanga (03-17-17)
Old 04-01-17, 05:21 AM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the remedy is finally remedy for the 2007*2009 ES 350 in zone A!
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...lah2alofaq.pdf
The following 3 users liked this post by kbyer:
Cjet (04-24-17), PoorES (04-03-17), topanga (04-04-17)
Old 04-03-17, 01:04 PM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, do you have a link to the TSB?
Old 04-04-17, 09:35 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I Got a call this morning From my Dealership telling me that my airbag is in set up a time for next week to bring the car in to have it replaced
Old 04-06-17, 10:13 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

just got the call my recall has been compelted going to pick the car up today
looks like i am one of the first to have a compelted recal in a 2007 ES350 Zone A
atleast out of anyone who has posted i seem to be the first one
so im going to now go and enjoy my car agian
Cjet (04-24-17)
Old 04-09-17, 07:08 PM
quocsupra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my airbag replaced

im in FL. I got my air bag replaced about couple days ago. The mechanic messed up my dashboard, because he have to remove the dashboard to replace the airbag. The dealer told me they gona replace my dashboard whenever the got the new dashboard for mine. Anyway, im ok with the new airbag now. Safety first
Old 04-11-17, 12:05 PM
nguyent8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the bay area, Lexus dealers don't have parts available. They put me on a waitlist with est. wait time around 3 weeks.
Old 04-20-17, 10:33 PM
Narayanan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Takata Airbag Ignitor

can you please tell me
1.whether the ignitor produce heat or spark ?
2.What will be the reaction time ?
3.Does this inflator has single or double ignitor ?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 04-21-17, 06:28 PM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine replaced today at Sterling McCall Lexus in Houston. Letter came in Saturday.
Old 04-22-17, 10:44 AM
topanga
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally Replaced! Weird Experience with Dealer

I finally got the Takata passenger side inflator replaced on my 2008 ES a few days ago at Santa Monica Lexus (CA).

Weird thing happened.

They said I also needed the following: new tires, a Rt CV boot replaced, top motor mount replaced, control arm bushings replaced, and the FI throttle plate cleaned. The car has only 50K mi. on it, and I didn't have an extra $3,000 to put into it just now. So, I agreed to new tires, but I declined the other services (planning to take it to my trusted mechanic, instead).

Anyway, they went ahead and did the repairs - without my consent! After a bit of wrangling over the next two days, the dealer finally accepted responsibility for the screw-up. But then they asked me if I'd like to "help them out" by paying for the parts. I said, "No."

I did not want to reward them in any way for doing unauthorized work that I'm still not sure was needed.

Result: no charge! I came out of the situation much less pissed off than I started, and might even return to this dealer in the future. Well, maybe....

Last edited by topanga; 04-22-17 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by topanga:
Cjet (04-24-17), quocsupra (04-23-17)
Old 04-24-17, 02:57 PM
Cjet
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol....they should do that with all their airbag recall customers for putting up with that hassle....

I just had mine done at Newport Beach Lexus....as Westminster Lexus nor their corporate office seem to have not a clue.

Because I still had not heard from Lexus and I am in Group A, I called their corporate office last week and their customer care had no clue as to why I hadn't been contacted yet, the only comment was that the dealership must not have the parts yet. So I asked her if she could point me to a dealership that did have the airbags. NOPE! All she could do was transfer me to a dealership of my choice. So I have to call around to find a dealer, instead of them taking a moment to check their computer to see which dealers are set up for the recall. Really **** poor customer service. The kicker was when she asked what else she would be able to do "make it a great Lexus experience", so I told her to have Lexus contact their recall customers asap with the list of dealers that were ready to help. She said she couldn't do it. They give lots of lip service about customer service, then don't listen when told what would help.

So, I contacted Newport Beach Lexus, told them I heard they had the parts in,(I didn't know) and asked when I could get in. Their agent says, "How about tomorrow"? I thought he was kidding, but he got me in the next afternoon.

Newport also mentioned the CV boot tear and estimated $800 for the repair, along with $1800 replacement for the rear sunvisor. They did a nice job on the airbag replacement, and it was a hassle free with a free loaner NX. I will be using them again, as Westminster was of no help, especially over Christmas when I needed a car with a usable front pax seat for a week. The repairs will be done by myself or a local mechanic.

People, if you're dealer hasn't called you, call around and find one that will take you.

Originally Posted by topanga
I finally got the Takata passenger side inflator replaced on my 2008 ES a few days ago at Santa Monica Lexus (CA).

Weird thing happened.

They said I also needed the following: new tires, a Rt CV boot replaced, top motor mount replaced, control arm bushings replaced, and the FI throttle plate cleaned. The car has only 50K mi. on it, and I didn't have an extra $3,000 to put into it just now. So, I agreed to new tires, but I declined the other services (planning to take it to my trusted mechanic, instead).

Anyway, they went ahead and did the repairs - without my consent! After a bit of wrangling over the next two days, the dealer finally accepted responsibility for the screw-up. But then they asked me if I'd like to "help them out" by paying for the parts. I said, "No."

I did not want to reward them in any way for doing unauthorized work that I'm still not sure was needed.

Result: no charge! I came out of the situation much less pissed off than I started, and might even return to this dealer in the future. Well, maybe....
topanga (04-24-17)

Quick Reply: Any info on Takata airbag recall...