ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any info on Takata airbag recall...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 07:45 AM
Conyersmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag Recall - So frustrated

I was told this summer for replacement of the airbags on the ES models by the service tech at my dealership. I called an Acura dealership and they said they would buy my ES with the bad airbag. I am really close to switching brands from the lack of customer service with Lexus. A co-worker called about her Infiniti airbag and had an appointment to replace it ONE week later.
The following users liked this post:
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 08:20 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I got my ADVANCED recall notice this week. A letter basically telling me the real recall notice will happen sometime in the future.

FYI - tetguy has another thread going on that describes the scope of the recall. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ag-recall.html
Old 03-02-17, 10:15 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

They have to manufactur milions of airbag units for too many car models. That's why they lack.

Now, I don't get you guys, why you worry about those bags? Just drive the car, like I do.
hisstojay (10-31-17)
Old 03-02-17, 10:21 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed ^^^

You're more likely to get in a fatal car accident PERIOD, than you are to get in an accident and be killed by this airbag.

If you're concerned about the airbag risk then you shouldn't even be driving a car...ever
hisstojay (10-31-17)
Old 03-02-17, 12:20 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

That all sounds well and good, just drive the car and don't worry. Except, my 17 year old daughter drives my 2008 ES. She inherited the car when I got a new Lexus last year. Would anyone on this forum put their child's safety at risk? Probably not. The NHTSB did a third amendment to the Coordinated Remedy Order on 12/9/2016. It prioritized Groups and established date of 3/31/2017 for "a remedy and adequate supply" for Priority Group 4 of which I am a part of. I don't feel confident that it will be ready. Why also are they fixing 2011 and 2012 IS models ahead of much older ES models. My son's 2008 Honda Accord was fixed month's ago! This stinks and Lexus has let their customers down in a big way. I have purchased 3 Lexus vehicles. I am done with this brand!
Old 03-02-17, 12:30 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kbyer
That all sounds well and good, just drive the car and don't worry. Except, my 17 year old daughter drives my 2008 ES. She inherited the car when I got a new Lexus last year. Would anyone on this forum put their child's safety at risk? Probably not. The NHTSB did a third amendment to the Coordinated Remedy Order on 12/9/2016. It prioritized Groups and established date of 3/31/2017 for "a remedy and adequate supply" for Priority Group 4 of which I am a part of. I don't feel confident that it will be ready. Why also are they fixing 2011 and 2012 IS models ahead of much older ES models. My son's 2008 Honda Accord was fixed month's ago! This stinks and Lexus has let their customers down in a big way. I have purchased 3 Lexus vehicles. I am done with this brand!
I understand exactly what you are saying. Unfortunately, her safety is more at risk by just driving than because of the airbag. She's more likely to be injured or die in a normal car accident than because of anything to do with the airbag. You put your child's safety at risk any time they ride in or drive a car. Unfortunately that's the truth but humans are not good risk assessors. We are afraid of things that won't hurt us and do all kinds of things that will.
Old 03-02-17, 12:42 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

I don't think that the families of the 11 people that have died would agree. If it wasn't a risk, then why is there a recall. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. As an adult, I can make the decision to do risky things but as a parent, I have to mitigate as many risks as possible for my child. I would never tell her to not wear a seat belt cause driving is just inherently dangerous. Maybe she should never drive and I should keep her at home her entire life. No that is ridiculous and for consumers to want safe cars and products is normal. There is no reason the Lexus should not have a remedy for the ES by now. I am not saying that they should have all the cars fixed, but I am saying that they should have a remedy by now. This is not about statistics and risks. There are no amount of statistics and risk analysis that are going to make those injured and the families of those that died feel better. This is all about having a safe product and the total lack of adequate response from Lexus.
Old 03-02-17, 01:00 PM
Sammidog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure your daughter would be happy to trade cars with you! LOL
Old 03-02-17, 01:02 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Yeah, I'm sure she would. Except, I really don't feel like getting shrapnel in my face either. She will be driving my new car and I will be driving a rental.
Old 03-02-17, 02:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

There's no right or wrong when it comes to driving a car with the recall. Strictly 100% personal decision. We're all adults and make decisions on what we feel is best.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexBob2:
kbyer (03-02-17), lgb0250 (03-03-17)
Old 03-02-17, 03:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

the one big reason i have such a deal with this issues is because i drive up and down canyon 2 or 3 days a week
ice deep slushy snow lots of bad weather.
i know how good of a driver i am but i also know how bad of drivers are all around and i drive with kids in the passanger seat each time i go up and down canyon for a ski day.
my car was in Florida for the first 8 years of its life
so they have me in the rental for that one reason.

i am upset that its taking so long yes i miss driving my lexus but you know they are paying for the storage fees where i keep the car they are paying for the rental and the dealership is also covering the Loss Damage waiver on my insurance so i dropped mine down to comprehensive on my car and dropped collision with no reason to be paying extra for insurance anymore so if it takes them 8 months or a year more to do the recall im ok i just am a little disappointed that its taking so long
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 03-04-17, 03:11 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

I don't think that the families of the 11 people that have died would agree. If it wasn't a risk, then why is there a recall. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. As an adult, I can make the decision to do risky things but as a parent, I have to mitigate as many risks as possible for my child. I would never tell her to not wear a seat belt cause driving is just inherently dangerous. Maybe she should never drive and I should keep her at home her entire life. No that is ridiculous and for consumers to want safe cars and products is normal. There is no reason the Lexus should not have a remedy for the ES by now. I am not saying that they should have all the cars fixed, but I am saying that they should have a remedy by now. This is not about statistics and risks. There are no amount of statistics and risk analysis that are going to make those injured and the families of those that died feel better. This is all about having a safe product and the total lack of adequate response from Lexus.
"As an adult, I can make the decision to do risky things but as a parent, I have to mitigate as many risks as possible for my child." For somebody who lives in Hurricane Alley, I find it hard to comprehend your line of reasoning when it comes to mitigating as many risks as possible for your child but your still living in South Carolina.

Time to save our breaths LjeksesES and Bluemoose Eng......Some people just can`t see the forest for the trees.
Old 03-04-17, 03:50 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tetguy
"As an adult, I can make the decision to do risky things but as a parent, I have to mitigate as many risks as possible for my child." For somebody who lives in Hurricane Alley, I find it hard to comprehend your line of reasoning when it comes to mitigating as many risks as possible for your child but your still living in South Carolina.

Time to save our breaths LjeksesES and Bluemoose Eng......Some people just can`t see the forest for the trees.
Wow!!! Some really super helpful advice coming from someone who lives in Canada and has up to twenty years before his airbag degrades. First of all, I don't live in "Hurricane Alley". I live more than three and half hours from the coast. I don't get what your problem is that a parent might be concerned for their child's safety and what possibly could be your problem with any consumer to expect a safe product and a recall done in a timely manner. The airbag in my car is over 9 years old right now. In Zone A ,of which I am a part , they start degrading at 6 years,but of course you are in Canada with the same age car but in a much different situation. This forum should be for sharing information, getting information and learning new things. It shouldn't be about some troll that just decides to attack someone who he knows nothing about. I guess, because I don't want my child to be in a dangerous situation that makes me irrational in your superior eyes. How is this for a line of reasoning? I know that the chances of getting struck by lightning are very slim, but that doesn't mean I stand outside when it is storming and lightning. Why don't you take your own advice and save your breath and don't bother to troll other people's posts just to make a snarky negative comment.Oh and by the way, a little helpful advice from me to you, when you decide to post negatively, you should a least get your grammar correct. "or your child but your still living in South Carolina." The correct word is you're as in you are.
Old 03-05-17, 05:55 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this recent discussion and not one mention of the fact this recall involves only the passenger side airbag?
Old 03-05-17, 06:09 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know about others but I have never been contacted by Lexus about an air bag recall for my 2010 ES. I have no open TSB's which I verified with my dealer so how many have been contacted and what have the dealers instructions been.

Quick Reply: Any info on Takata airbag recall...