Oil Analysis: ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 06:27 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i wouldn't call it expirmenting
i call it going form 5k conevntional oilchanges to 10k oil changes with full synthetic
checking my oil level like i always do
its always clean and every time i have had the oil changed someone tells me they cant belvie how clean my engine is on the inside it doenst burn oil
so what do you mean by what you said ?
now what i would not turst is a Oil Filter to last more than 5k i just dont trust that

I think it was petty clear what I said. How can you be confused?
Old 11-10-17, 10:13 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
I think it was petty clear what I said. How can you be confused?
because i dont understand how you can say changing oil every 10k is being abusive to a engine ?
you sound like some mechanic who works at a shop that still tells peopel to change their oil every 3k
thats why im confsued
oils can last 10k no problem if you need to you add some oil in between oil changes but a oil filter is till feel should be changed every 5k
so i dont get what your issue is saying im asking for trouble neglecting my car ?
you reall seem kind of freaking rude dude but that just my take on it
Old 11-11-17, 04:28 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

So, I am rude for suggesting that you follow the owner's manual instructions. Hmm, OK. don't. I don't care.
For the price of an oil change, I will follow the manual. My ES350 cost me 18K. I think I can afford the oil change.

As for you, do what you want. If you post here, you are likely to get feedback. If you don't like feedback that doesn't agree with you, don't post.

Quite simple really.
Old 11-11-17, 08:45 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

So, I am rude for suggesting that you follow the owner's manual instructions. Hmm, OK. don't. I don't care.
For the price of an oil change, I will follow the manual. My ES350 cost me 18K. I think I can afford the oil change.

As for you, do what you want. If you post here, you are likely to get feedback. If you don't like feedback that doesn't agree with you, don't post.

Quite simple really.
well i feel you singled me out in this thread why come after me with telling me im neglecting my car instead of someone else here is is talking about 10k oil is changes ?
please leave me alone
Old 11-11-17, 11:50 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Not sure why you want to experiment on a 3K engine? Be generous, change your oil.
We, extended mileage oil changers, are being generous to both our cars and the environment. Toyota didn't recommend synthetic oils for our year models because they hadn't gone around to testing it on our engines, 2007 in my case. I think it was 2012 when they first started recommending synthetic oil and 10K oil intervals, on the same 3.5 engine as 2007.

These oil analysis tests help identify a more accurate oil interval change by looking at the accumulation of contaminants in the used oil as well as identify the amount of additives that remain in the oil. The TBN value is an overall indicator of how much life remains in the oil. When it gets to 1.5 is when you should change the oil to be on the safe side.

At one point I was changing oil and oil filter at 15K with Mobil 1 extended, but I'm now set at 10K. Our engine has over 200K and it has no leaks and burns about half a quart of oil every 10K. You may have noticed I'm using 10/30 instead of the recommended 5/30. That's because at about 80K, the engine developed the dreaded timing cover oil leak; it was more of a seepage than a leak. Oil seeped down the side of the engine but never hit the ground. Switching to the next level viscosity greatly reduced the amount of oil seepage.

While it's true you mostly can't go wrong with OEM; but, you're also stuck and can't go better. It is your engine, so do what you think is good for it. I think you are wasting your $$ and contributing to environment waste.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 11-11-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 09:25 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I spoke with Lexus dealer about this and also spoke with corporate. They basically told me that synthetic oil change is good for 10k miles. If I use conventional, It should be 5k.
2013+ models use 10k synthetic oil changes and engine is identical to prior generation. Once they print owner manual, they will not revise it. All oil analysis results Ive seen here and on bobtheoilguy suggest that ES350 2007-2012 can safely go 10k miles or 1 year using good quality full synthetic oil. If someone wants to put synthetic every 5k, go ahead, its a waste.
Old 11-13-17, 12:23 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I am thinkign of switing over to full syne M1 5-30 because thats the full synthetic the dealer near me uses they have a 2 full syn package oil change inspection rotation and car wash for 110 dollars i get two of these so thats what im planning on switching to.
however i will still have my oil filter changed every 5k and have an inspection and tire rotation done every 5k why ? because i feel for my safety id rather be safe and know i have a good operating vehicle and also i dont trust oil filters to go 10k
I change my filter every 5K, and oil every 10K. I use full synthetic M1 and OEM filters. I am over 160K now. Doesn't burn oil, runs clean and quiet. It leaked from day 1 at the 3-pt on timing cover, and enough to mess up the driveway but not enough that ever needed a top up Yes, had it fixed under warranty once, and now that it's out of warranty, I find it not worth it...
Old 11-13-17, 02:55 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by igzy
I change my filter every 5K, and oil every 10K. I use full synthetic M1 and OEM filters. I am over 160K now. Doesn't burn oil, runs clean and quiet. It leaked from day 1 at the 3-pt on timing cover, and enough to mess up the driveway but not enough that ever needed a top up Yes, had it fixed under warranty once, and now that it's out of warranty, I find it not worth it...
i currently knock on wood do not have any leaks in my engine or on my engine none at all.
am i going to have to wory about if i switch to a full synthetic it will be looser and possible cause my engine to start leaking ?
Old 11-14-17, 05:23 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

i currently knock on wood do not have any leaks in my engine or on my engine none at all.
am i going to have to wory about if i switch to a full synthetic it will be looser and possible cause my engine to start leaking ?
That's a myth from back in the day when the gaskets were not ready for synthetic. These 2GR engines and sealing remained the same for some time now and they get synthetic from the factory. I always switch my cars to synthetic and the last time I had a problem with it was with an 80's Chevy 2.8L V6
Old 03-04-19, 11:32 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Withdrawn. it was a double post; hadn't noticed I had uploaded the last lab analysis.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 03-04-19 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 06:11 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

It appears my local Walmart will no longer be stocking Mobil1 oil filters for the 3.5 V6 engines. I spotted them at the clearance rack for for $4.- # M1C-251a; they normally sell for $15+. I grabbed the last 4 filters; they are brand new with no signs of having been returned. You guys may want to check your local stores. These are high quality synthetic media filters guaranteed up to 20K miles; they have 64 pleats - OEM has 46. I'm gonna check the other nearby Walmart stores.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 03-09-19 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 07:14 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
That's a myth from back in the day when the gaskets were not ready for synthetic. These 2GR engines and sealing remained the same for some time now and they get synthetic from the factory. I always switch my cars to synthetic and the last time I had a problem with it was with an 80's Chevy 2.8L V6
Its not a myth, if car is very old and gaskets went bad already, when you introduce more detergent oil it can lousen up the dirt that holds deteriorated gaskets in place and a leak can occur. The leak is not because of synthetic oil, and would have happened anyway, but synthetic oil can make the leak surface faster. I see no reason to switch 10+ year old cars to synthetic. Even if chances are small, why change the eco system when maybe in few years owner will get rid of the car anyway.
The following users liked this post:
dta20502 (03-10-19)
Old 03-11-19, 04:39 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

I’m going all the way back to my high school intro to mechanics days when I think the only synthetic that you could buy off the shelf was mobile1. I asked my teacher about it and the textbook awnswer was that when you first converted to synthetic you might get a little seepage but that it would form a protective membrane over the seals to essentially stop all future seepage. Now this was straight from Mobil-1 provided literature back in the day so take it for what it’s worth and this was probably for a zero mile engine not one where it’s seen 100k already. I’ve never had the initial seepage issue and I’ve converted many cars to synthetic over the years using Mobil 1 full synthetic for years, then Royal Purple for a while, to now I’ve been using Amsoil the last few years. My ES does have seepage by the timing belt (another 07 exclusive) but I’m not getting any oil on the ground and the dipstick doesn’t seem to have moved even a bit so it will be ignored.

Last edited by ellocovg; 03-11-19 at 04:49 AM.