ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Name that thud/ clunk coming from the rear of my ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 05:48 PM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Name that thud/ clunk coming from the rear of my ES350

Back in August I replaced my 04 es330 with a used 2007 es350 with 26k. I have only put about 1k or so on it since then, but I have driven it to Cleveland and back for business a 3hr. drive each way. Point is I have spent some time in the car. To date the vehicle has appeared to be solid, no concerns. Earlier this week I bought gas and filled the car up and topped it off as I normally would. Nothing extreme, made $30.12 when the pump stopped $30.50. Drove the car home and parked it. Next day I was driving it with the radio off, as I have gotten in the good/ bad habit of doing lately after purchasing my wifes 09 RX350. Here's where things get weird. When I would come to complete stop and normally accelerate, I would hear a thud type sound coming from the trunk area/ rear of the vehicle. This happened repeatedly and was easy to recreate. When I got stopped I checked the trunk thinking I had something rolling around in there, but there was nothing in the trunk and actually nothing in the car at all to be rolling around. Test drove the car again tonight as this was starting to weigh on me and same thing. Only happened after the car was at a complete stop with normal or more acceleration. If I really easily accelerated smoothly, it would not happen. If I started, stopped, started it would happen kind of repeatedly. It almost sounded like fuel moving/ sloshing around, but I have not ever really heard of that or never noticed that previously. I only wonder about that b/c of just filling up the other night and never noticing that before. So once again I defer to you more experienced Lexus owners. Ideas? Thanks as always. Oh yeah, I have done search on the forum for clunk/ thud and read plenty of threads regarding other models, but nothing seems to really match up. additionally I also have checked the spare and accessories in the trunk and everything in there is tight and seems good.

Last edited by plainview; 11-21-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-21-15, 06:12 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Its the float in the gas tank hitting the side of the tank. Only happens when the tank is very full and the float doesnt have much room to move around. No longevity issues.
Old 11-21-15, 07:57 PM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by xanderES
Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Its the float in the gas tank hitting the side of the tank. Only happens when the tank is very full and the float doesnt have much room to move around. No longevity issues.
Thanks for the reply. I am beyond happy to hear that this is very likely something benign.
Old 11-21-15, 09:36 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

my rear end clunk turned out to be worn sway bar bushings, maybe check that if the its still there after the fuel level goes down
Old 11-22-15, 05:44 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by nevernu
my rear end clunk turned out to be worn sway bar bushings, maybe check that if the its still there after the fuel level goes down
Thanks for sharing. I will keep that in mind. Could these wear at such a low mileage or is age also a factor?