ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How well does your ES handle ice and snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 09:53 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How well does your ES handle ice and snow?

I apologize if this question is frequently asked around here. I have been a Lexus owner since March and just caught a tail end of what normally amounts to a brutal winter in the Canadian prairies. I have not been able to test the car out during our winter yet.

How well does an ES handle especially icy conditions? We have a very long winter with insane cold spells with temperatures often sitting at -30ºF (-35ºC) and below. There is a lot of snow, but I'm mostly worried about ice. Do traction and stability control an OK job on this car? How well does the climate control keep up with the cold? How are cold starts? Winter fuel economy? Any problems with seals freezing up? Of course I am planning on getting winter tires and if you have a recommendation, I'd be very glad to hear what you have to say. I'd like to stay away from Michelin X-Ice (any version) as I've had those in the past and they are way to hard for such harsh winters. Snow tires need to stay soft and grippy. I'm thinking Nokian Tyres or Bridgstone Blizzaks. I currently have Nokian summers on and they are great. Anything else to look out for in the ES when it comes to winter driving? I used to drive a Toyota Matrix which was punishing to drive in the winter, the car's suspension would stiffen up incredibly in the cold and would be so choppy to drive without any sporting pretensions. I love how much more comfortable my Lexus is and hope it remains comfy in the winter.
Old 09-12-15, 05:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I have found that front wheel drive cars do not handle well in snow or ice. Regardless of the tire they just do not handle as well as an all wheel drive car and even a lot of rear wheel drive cars. We live in a 4 season climate but when the snow/ice come we have other vehicles with all wheel drive that we use. I put the ES as a 3 season car for great enjoyable drives.
Old 09-12-15, 06:26 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Th ES handles well as long as you get snow tires. While true that an all wheel drive car is best, front wheel drive are fine. Having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels is a definite plus.
Old 09-12-15, 10:08 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lived in Quebec, canada and my ES is shoed with Michelin X3, the car handle quite badly, even with the best tires. I had trouble climbing hills and the stability sucks. Yes, it is a calm tires, but the weight of the car and the FWD is not made for winter. The stability control does help and saved my life many times.

My car is running Mobil 1 synthetic oil, no problems starting the car in extreme cold weather and the cabin seals hold very good. The car heat up rapidly hence the strong AC. Fuel economy is not bad, i run a little bit more.

Last edited by Blueshark; 09-12-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 01:39 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Funny. Totally different results here. I worked as a special ed teacher at a residential facility for a couple of years and we always had to go in despite bad weather. I commuted mostly highway but some local roads as well. I would drive my car in 5-18 inches of snow (total accumulation- the roads would be modestly plowed) and my car did amazingly well. I kept good all season tires on it though. This is the WV/VA area.

On another note, all of the road salt ruined a set of calipers because I didn't lube the slide bolt when I did my own brakes.
Old 09-12-15, 03:17 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

re: slide bolts. I've had them "re-lubed" by the dealer the past 2 years, in Ohio. I figure salt is to blame too; however I've not experienced this issue on a consistent basis like I have with this car. Must be something with the design.