ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2012 ES-350 Parking Assist Sensitivity-NO NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 02:50 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2012 ES-350 Parking Assist Sensitivity-NO NAV

My wife has a 2012 ES-350 with the Parking Assist feature but NO NAVIGATION. You have to get within about 2-3 feet of an object before the warning (visual and audible) detects an object in front or the year of the car. Can the "Sensitivity" be adjusted up so it will recognize a danger long before 2-3 feet ? My LS-460 has a Sensitivity Setting in The GPS settings but since her car does not have GPS, I don't know how to adjust the sensitivity to give her more warning of getting too close to another car or object. Any clues on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-14, 02:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
My wife has a 2012 ES-350 with the Parking Assist feature but NO NAVIGATION. You have to get within about 2-3 feet of an object before the warning (visual and audible) detects an object in front or the year of the car. Can the "Sensitivity" be adjusted up so it will recognize a danger long before 2-3 feet ? My LS-460 has a Sensitivity Setting in The GPS settings but since her car does not have GPS, I don't know how to adjust the sensitivity to give her more warning of getting too close to another car or object. Any clues on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure of the answer. Is there anything in the owners manual regarding the sensitivity and if its adjustable?
Old 03-12-14, 03:40 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It's explained in the Owner's Manual under "Customization". The max. distance appears to be 4.5 feet (the default setting), which can be changed by the dealer (because of no NAV) to 1.5 feet, which doesn't help you anyway.
Old 03-13-14, 03:18 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm not sure of the answer. Is there anything in the owners manual regarding the sensitivity and if its adjustable?
I'll drag out her BOOK and see if I can figure it our myself. I just thought somebody on the Lexus Forum could tell me how to do it and save me a few hours of time. Or, I'll go to the Dealership and spend a few hours seeing if they can help. But, I sure appreciate all the suggestions offered here.

Carnut.
Old 03-13-14, 03:22 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
LexBob2, I'll get her BOOK out and research it. Thanks for your contribution to this issue however.

Carnut.
Old 03-13-14, 06:04 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

this is what the svc manual says about distances and adjustments
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20.pdf (324.7 KB, 340 views)
File Type: pdf
21.pdf (23.4 KB, 293 views)
Old 03-14-14, 07:13 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nevernu
this is what the svc manual says about distances and adjustments
Thanks Nevernu.........I hope this will be most helpful. Thanks for taking the time to make this and post it.

Carnut
Old 03-14-14, 04:24 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carnut
Thanks Nevernu.........I hope this will be most helpful. Thanks for taking the time to make this and post it.

Carnut
Nevernu, do you understand better than I on how to ADJUST the sensitivity to optimum distance ?

I really don't see anywhere where it says to do WHAT do make it more, or less sensitive to distance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carnut
Old 03-14-14, 05:14 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

elsewhere the manual describes functions of various IPA components incl the multidisplay (below) but how to access the setup screen for the IPA is not clear. Maybe the dealer can tell u how.

Multi-display
Displays the location of the obstacle and the approximate distance between the vehicle
and the obstacle.
The buzzer volume, distance required to sound the buzzer and distance required to
trigger the display can be chosen on the setup screen for the intuitive parking assist
system.

edited...
further reading in another section shows the multi-display is an option (presumably the nav sys) and the default is the a Combination Meter: there is no mention of adjusting option with the default Combination Meter

Combination
Meter

a. Multi-information
Display

-Displays the location of the obstacle and the
approximate distance between the vehicle and the
obstacle.
 -Informs the driver if the ultrasonic sensors malfunction,
or if they freeze or become dirty.

b. Master Warning
Light

-lluminates when the multi-information display indicates
that the ultrasonic sensors are malfunctioning or frozen.

Last edited by nevernu; 03-14-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-15-14, 08:43 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nevernu
elsewhere the manual describes functions of various IPA components incl the multidisplay (below) but how to access the setup screen for the IPA is not clear. Maybe the dealer can tell u how.

Multi-display
Displays the location of the obstacle and the approximate distance between the vehicle
and the obstacle.
The buzzer volume, distance required to sound the buzzer and distance required to
trigger the display can be chosen on the setup screen for the intuitive parking assist
system.

edited...
further reading in another section shows the multi-display is an option (presumably the nav sys) and the default is the a Combination Meter: there is no mention of adjusting option with the default Combination Meter

Combination
Meter

a. Multi-information
Display

-Displays the location of the obstacle and the
approximate distance between the vehicle and the
obstacle.
 -Informs the driver if the ultrasonic sensors malfunction,
or if they freeze or become dirty.

b. Master Warning
Light

-lluminates when the multi-information display indicates
that the ultrasonic sensors are malfunctioning or frozen.
Thanks again for the information Nevernu. If i can't figure it out, maybe the dealership can.
Old 03-15-14, 08:47 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldgrump
It's explained in the Owner's Manual under "Customization". The max. distance appears to be 4.5 feet (the default setting), which can be changed by the dealer (because of no NAV) to 1.5 feet, which doesn't help you anyway.
4.5 Feet away is about the time you react and then it's too late. I'll get her Owner's Manual out and if it's not real clear, maybe the dealership can adjust it to "further out."

Thanks for you input.

Carnut
Old 03-19-14, 06:08 PM
todor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the second PDF that nevernu posted above, the only electronic adjustment is whether you want the sensor to be in "wide" or "narrow" mode... but there's nothing about the distance. The other things you can adjust have to do with what kind of beep is made and whether it stops when the car is stationary for a few seconds.

That's consistent with what I found when developing my customization app and testing on a friend's ES350. That means that most likely, the dealer won't be able to change this either... but it's worth asking them.
Old 01-09-17, 03:42 PM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an 2007-09 ES with parking sensors and no nav?
Or was that only possible in the 2010-12 series?
Old 01-14-17, 10:26 PM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

based on your experience with sensors, do you think they are worth having?
Or do you almost never use them?

I had a 2010 es with sensors and the only time I used them was parallel parking.