ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Michelin Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 02:33 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Michelin Tire question

The consensus seems to be that most people here prefer the Michelin Primacy MXV4. When compared, most here even recommend the Primacy MXV4 over the Energy MXV4 S8 and the Primacy MXM4.

My question is: The Primacy MXV4 has a better tread warranty. Seems to be rated better. Tends to have higher numbers in all the important areas. YET....... The Energy MXV4 S8 tends to cost considerably more than the Primacy MXV4. Does anyone know why? Thanks. Mike....
Old 01-30-14, 03:22 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I am just takeing a stab at the dark along with what i have heard from some tire dealers about this

It's because the One that cost more and comes with no tread wear warranty from my understanding is a tire that was Originally designed for the Dealers and Manufacturers to supply on the cars
if you want OEM equipment you will always spend more most of the time this goes for tires also
Old 01-30-14, 06:13 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Sounds logical. I was just asking in case I missed some outstanding attribute for the S8. E.g. Like it improved gas mileage by 10% or something similar. I haven't found anything about the Energy S8 that is better than the Primacy MXV4. But I wanted to ask.

Then again; tires are like jeans, shoes, or even cars themselves. Everyone you ask will have a preference based on personal reasons. There are those that will swear by Goodyear, Dunlop or even Sumitomo. They'll say that paying $50-$80 more per tire for a Michelin or Pirelli is strictly for the name. I totally disagree with this. In all my years, I've definitely seen the differences in tires.

My choice for a new set of tires; probably this summer; have been narrowed down to the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Pirelli Cinturato P7. I think both would be good. I've had good luck with both brands. The only thing keeping me deciding, is that ALL of my experience with Pirelli tires, have been with dry weather fast sports cars. Porsche and Corvette. But the Cinturato P7 seems to be highly reviewed for an all season grand touring type of tire.
Old 01-30-14, 07:18 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

me ill always say Michelin they just are my favorite
i am a Michelin man
I wish the Hydroedge was still around id have those if they where
i don't like the new defender
and i dont think they make a symmetry for our size
so the Primacy MXV4 is the route i when
Old 01-31-14, 03:52 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When the Michelins that came OEM on our 2007 wore out in 19,000 miles, I went to our local Michelin dealer for a warranty adjustment. He told me that the tires had no treadwear warranty but he would contact Michelin for a goodwill adjustment. They approved 4 new tires for $550 back in 2008. The dealer told me that the Michelins specified for OEM had a softer compound in order to give the Lexus a better ride, hence no treadwear warranty.
Old 01-31-14, 05:37 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm about due and am considering my options. Once again I will be looking for a quiet and smooth/soft riding tire. My OEM Bridgestones have been a good tire and with a little over 25K miles on them I will consider them as first choice. I do not care if it is all season or performance tires as I only drive in non-winter conditions. Wet driving doesn't seem to make much of a difference with any of the brands I have had. Also usually the longer the tread wear means the harder the tire compound which affects the ride quality. So the trade off is tire life and if 25K is my max life but with a great ride then it meets my need.
Old 01-31-14, 02:20 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by garsarno
When the Michelins that came OEM on our 2007 wore out in 19,000 miles, I went to our local Michelin dealer for a warranty adjustment. He told me that the tires had no treadwear warranty but he would contact Michelin for a goodwill adjustment. They approved 4 new tires for $550 back in 2008. The dealer told me that the Michelins specified for OEM had a softer compound in order to give the Lexus a better ride, hence no treadwear warranty.
That's really interesting considering the OEM tires that came on my car were the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8. Still have the full size spare which has never been used. And on the Michelin website, they have the Energy MXV4 S8 as having a 50,000 mile tread warranty.

But normally, I wouldn't go with any OEM tire. There's a reason companies use certain tires for OEM. They are brand new. No tread wear. 98.3845939% of all new car buyers never look at the actual tires. (If they look down, it's at the wheels themselves and the LOOKS). So, manufacturers of both the vehicle and the tires will put on about the cheapest tire they have.

I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm positive that I'll be quite satisfied with either choice. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 94V or the Pirelli Cinturato P7 plus 94V. Both are ranked by consumers and professionals very highly.
Old 08-28-14, 09:53 AM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which did you go with, primacy or centurato?
what are your thoughts on your choice?

Last edited by GrnIdKjun; 08-28-14 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Spelling