ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 12:33 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Is this a genuine Lexus warranty? I'm wondering why you're even talking to a warranty company? I never did that any of the times I used the factory extended warranty.

It makes sense that if a non-warrantable condition or negligence caused the failure of the water pump they would not cover the water pump. My question is what sort of issue could have caused the water pump to fail that wouldn't be warranted.
Yes, this is genuine lexus financial services platinum extended warranty. Frankly speaking, I don't even know if it is water pump. I am assuming based on numerous same issues I saw on the forum. There sure is a pattern for these failures.
The dealer is not telling me the exact reason till I pay the 2k in diagnostics. I did ask them to just fill the radiator and visually see where the leak is coming from.
Old 02-03-14, 01:01 PM
Tpcorr
Rookie

If they are holding your car hostage until you pay them 2k, that's unconscionable. It's probably illegal too. I'm really shocked at this behavior and wouldn't have anticipated this type of treatment from Lexus. Next they'll be telling you to pay a storage fee for each day your car is there! Sheesh! I guess we should never underestimate the ability of a large corporate entity to put the screws to the little guy.

Tom
Old 02-03-14, 01:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Any other local dealers? I really think the issue here is the dealer.

I wouldnt say there is a pattern of failures...its a rare issue.
Old 02-03-14, 02:10 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tpcorr
If they are holding your car hostage until you pay them 2k, that's unconscionable. It's probably illegal too. I'm really shocked at this behavior and wouldn't have anticipated this type of treatment from Lexus. Next they'll be telling you to pay a storage fee for each day your car is there! Sheesh! I guess we should never underestimate the ability of a large corporate entity to put the screws to the little guy.

Tom
Hi tom, dealer is not really holding car. They just want someone to authorize them to put the hrs in diagnosing the issue. My point is that, we know what needs to be repaired, if warranty needs to satisfy their compliance, isn't it their job to do e diagnosis, maybe after diagnosis they can make whatever decision. But asking customer to bear the cost is just weird..
Old 02-03-14, 03:22 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really so unfortunate that you would have to go through this ordeal. It's not just fair!

Not sure if you said this on your previous post: were all maintenance work performed by a lexus technician at a dealership? If so, this should be all on them regardless of whether for example, the coolant level or oil level was low that caused the overheating, as they should have checked them before leaving the lot and inform customers whether something needs to be done.

All dealership service departments have "zero tolerance" policy where parts must be replaced before they break. Now if they broke before the scheduled maintenance, this must be fixed under warranty as the part was defective.
Old 02-03-14, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nautilus11
Hi tom, dealer is not really holding car. They just want someone to authorize them to put the hrs in diagnosing the issue. My point is that, we know what needs to be repaired, if warranty needs to satisfy their compliance, isn't it their job to do e diagnosis, maybe after diagnosis they can make whatever decision. But asking customer to bear the cost is just weird..
You're 100% in the right IMHO.

Have you spoken to the dealer's service manager about it? How about the Lexus reps at 1-800-25-LEXUS?
Old 02-03-14, 03:34 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe that you are going to have to help yourself and take a proactive approach with this. Other than stating that the engine is seized and that there is no coolant in the cooling system has the dealer where your car is presently sitting actually done any mechanical work on your car? In other words is the engine still installed in the car and all systems still "hooked up".?
I do not understand what the dealer, or Lexus, or the warranty people want/need to "diagnose"? If the engine is still installed in the car and it has not been "disturbed", then if I were you, I would ask the dealer to:
1) Have them show YOU in what location they located the source of the coolant leak IF they in fact have found the source of the leak.
2) IF they have not actually yet found any obvious source of a coolant leak (INCLUDING signs of a leak at the coolant pump vent and/or seal leak witness hole), then ask them to:
3) Completely fill the cooling system with water (a coolant mix would obviously be a waste) and accomplish the cooling system pressure test in accordance with the shop/maintenance manual. I believe that the pressure test is done at 17 psi. Tell the dealer that you will pay for this. It's dead simple and will not take long!
It should only be an hour labor charge for accomplishing the above.

Last edited by oldgrump; 02-03-14 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 05:45 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Any other local dealers? I really think the issue here is the dealer.

I wouldnt say there is a pattern of failures...its a rare issue.
i was just about to say the same thing
go to another dealer if there is another one withing a decent distance of you
Old 02-03-14, 05:57 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw this in a Google search...............
It's not under warranty UNTIL it's determined/diagnosed to be a warranty coverage item. Until that point in time, it's your vehicle so You need to authorize the diagnostic/estimate charge. Simple contract Law. Most people don't like it, but again, it's your vehicle, your responsible until another determination is made.
Old 02-03-14, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've never had a warranty repair this serious, but Ive never been asked to authorize $2,000 in diagnostics for a warranty repair...
Old 02-03-14, 06:23 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I've never had a warranty repair this serious, but Ive never been asked to authorize $2,000 in diagnostics for a warranty repair...
it's just another way that the warranty company scared the client and chances our they don't have to pay for the job
why ?
because
the custoemr might not have 2,000 available so they don't agree to the tear down in fear of not being able to come up with the 2k if it is found to not be covered
this situation means
the warranty company doesn't have to pay for it because the customer hasn't event authorized the tear down
Old 02-03-14, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But we're talking about a factory extended warranty. He shouldn't even be dealing with a "warranty company"...
Old 02-03-14, 06:43 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John U
I saw this in a Google search...............
It's not under warranty UNTIL it's determined/diagnosed to be a warranty coverage item. Until that point in time, it's your vehicle so You need to authorize the diagnostic/estimate charge. Simple contract Law. Most people don't like it, but again, it's your vehicle, your responsible until another determination is made.
Hi john, the issue we are having is that we know what caused the problem and we know what's damaged. If now the lexus warranty needs to satisfy their inquest, shouldn't they pay for the detailed analysis and diagnostic ?
As others said, basically I am being deterred away from even initiating a claim.
Old 02-03-14, 06:44 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

But we're talking about a factory extended warranty. He shouldn't even be dealing with a "warranty company"...
What's the difference between extended warranty and factory extended warranty?
Old 02-03-14, 06:51 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

to the OP did you ever check into what i mentioned the other day about
contacting your insurance company explaining what happened and seeing if its covered ? don't tell them you have a extended warranty
just ask them if it is something that would be covered
if they say yes
then you know you can go and authorize the tear down and if Lexus says no to the coverage of the engine repair then you have the insurance to fall back on

Quick Reply: Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement