ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I might also ask them what root causes might cause it to not be covered by the warranty? The platinum warranty is basically an extension of the bumper to bumper warranty, so for the most part...anything that would cause this not to be covered should have been a reason also if the car had 5k miles. Seeing that all the components are covered, the only reasons for denial to me would be:

1. If damage from running over or colliding with an object caused the problem.
2. If lack of maintenance caused the problem.
Old 01-30-14, 07:50 AM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
1st I would ask them what basic diagnostics will they do. I suspect you have a bunch of codes in the MIL so I would ask what they were. I would also ask if there are any external leaks that would be visible from either the top or under the car. Anything found there would be indicative of where a problem would be. All of this should take no more then an hour. If nothing was found my next step would be to do a compression test. Based on those results then determine the next step. Is there any water/antifreeze in the oil or did they check this. Their plan to just tear down the engine does not make sense considering there are many things that should be done prior to that move. By the way did you ever get the sweet smell of antifreeze during the course of the last month or so. Usually your vents would pull in the smell during driving or you would smell it from outside the car. Strange that you didn't.
I did ask them that they must have seen something in the last few days they have been doing "diagnostics" on my car. They said that nothing conclusive thus we have to tear the engine and then get the inspector from warranty to come and validate. I will check about compression test. One thing they did mention that there was no coolant in the car.
I didnt smell anything till actually the problem happened. I smelled some sweet and burning smell right when i was experiencing the issue.
This is turning into a nightmare..
Old 01-30-14, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When is the last time the vehicle was serviced and the fluid levels were checked?

All the coolant in a car doesn't just "disappear" even if you never checked it...has to be a cause.
Old 01-30-14, 09:46 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If the dealer found no coolant in the system and they've already stated that the engine has to be replaced, then why would they be "tearing the engine down"? It's BS. Fill the cooling system up with water, pressure test the system and see where the water leaks from. If the engine can be started, they could do that as well. I think they know what the root cause is already (pump seal, probably) and they are just pissing around. I can see them wanting to remove the pump to have a look at it, and all the components that have to be transfered to the new engine, but that's it.
Old 01-30-14, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a slippery slope for the dealer, because they aren't the ones who make the call about the warranty coverage, and they don't want to get stuck holding the bag if it doesn't get covered and you try and say "I never consented to potentially paying out of pocket to tear the engine down".

I think you should press for a meeting with you, the service manager, and the rep from Lexus and make it politely obvious to them that you will not allow the risk to be put on your shoulders here. You bought a warranty, and you expect to be treated by Lexus the same way you would have been had the car had 5k miles on it...because thats how they market the platinum warranty. You need a clear understanding of why they suspect it might not be covered.
Old 01-30-14, 10:30 AM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
When is the last time the vehicle was serviced and the fluid levels were checked?

All the coolant in a car doesn't just "disappear" even if you never checked it...has to be a cause.
i changed oil like 10 days ago. i hope the fluid levels were checked. I have read on other threads here though that a major leak in hose or radiator can drain the coolant very quickly. i dont know if the dealer found any damage to the radiator etc.
Old 01-30-14, 10:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the dealer changed the oil 10 days ago they should have noted if any fluid level was low.

Look back on your service order. Did they make any references to fluid levels? From my dealer they say "Fluid levels checked" or something like that.
Old 01-30-14, 03:31 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

regardless they can put all new fluid in if that's what they want to and then find where the leak is coming from

so ask them if they can't find the root cause of what caused the overheat
then why can't they find where the fluid went to
if they want to be stuborn about it
call AAA or road side have the car towed to another shop that will its your car and you have the right o have it services where you want it and let them know your not taking an bs from them
Old 01-30-14, 04:34 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be covered by your warranty if you received routine services ontime/correctly and have docs to prove it.

I would take it to a mechanic that specializes on Lexus and have them figure out the cause of it then take it back to the dealership and ask the mechanic to call lexus service to talk with them. You will lose some money by getting it diagnosed by the mechanic, but hey, it's better than having dealer diagnose and pay $$$$ and not be covered under warranty. There are three reputable places in LA area in case you wanted to know. I think all were either master or lead tech at Lexus service department.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lextech-los-angeles-2

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lex-mastertech-pasadena

http://www.l-spec.com/ (he's clublexus sponsor)
Old 01-30-14, 04:48 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
regardless they can put all new fluid in if that's what they want to and then find where the leak is coming from

so ask them if they can't find the root cause of what caused the overheat
then why can't they find where the fluid went to
if they want to be stuborn about it
call AAA or road side have the car towed to another shop that will its your car and you have the right o have it services where you want it and let them know your not taking an bs from them
I asked this to the Lexus warranty company and they mentioned that they need exact diagnosis and it has to be performed by a Lexus dealer.
Old 01-30-14, 07:26 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nautilus11
I asked this to the Lexus warranty company and they mentioned that they need exact diagnosis and it has to be performed by a Lexus dealer.
im preatty sure that lexus will reimburse you a specific amount if you have it fixed at another location but you need to pay upfront

i know when my axle had to be replaced last year i was at the Toyota dealer and they told me 1000 and i called lexus to see if they could have it done there they said no and they would only reimburse up to 550 if i had it done anywhere other then the Lexus dealer
so i took it to the lexus dealer and they fixed it and charged Lexus like 600 i think

still regardless of the fact
The dealer can add coolant and then test it see where it is leaking from
not sure if these are fair to compare it to some issues i know people have had but unless the coolant is mixing in with the engine oil form a internal engin issue and if that was the case they would see a milk oil in the engine
then its got to be a external leak
and if its an external leak they diagnose the issue and find out and fix it
have you even heard it run do you know for sure it needs an engine or is the dealer just doing what they can to get lexus to allow them to fix a 10k bill ?
cause im pretty dammy shure that that dealer is expecting around 10-12k to replace that engine instead of a few 1000 max for another issue
Old 01-30-14, 09:22 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
im preatty sure that lexus will reimburse you a specific amount if you have it fixed at another location but you need to pay upfront

i know when my axle had to be replaced last year i was at the Toyota dealer and they told me 1000 and i called lexus to see if they could have it done there they said no and they would only reimburse up to 550 if i had it done anywhere other then the Lexus dealer
so i took it to the lexus dealer and they fixed it and charged Lexus like 600 i think

still regardless of the fact
The dealer can add coolant and then test it see where it is leaking from
not sure if these are fair to compare it to some issues i know people have had but unless the coolant is mixing in with the engine oil form a internal engine issue and if that was the case they would see a milk oil in the engine
then its got to be a external leak
and if its an external leak they diagnose the issue and find out and fix it
have you even heard it run do you know for sure it needs an engine or is the dealer just doing what they can to get lexus to allow them to fix a 10k bill ?
cause im pretty dammy shure that that dealer is expecting around 10-12k to replace that engine instead of a few 1000 max for another issue
thanks thumperpup..
I have worked with this dealer before and i think they r ok. right now my no 1 issue is to how to get the dealer to finish the diagnostic and submit a claim (without making me pay 2 grand). Then i will have to go from there about the claim. feeling trapped.. Almost feel like why the hell i wasted money on warranty if this is how lexus treats their customers.
Old 01-30-14, 09:25 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgmstr
It should be covered by your warranty if you received routine services ontime/correctly and have docs to prove it.

I would take it to a mechanic that specializes on Lexus and have them figure out the cause of it then take it back to the dealership and ask the mechanic to call lexus service to talk with them. You will lose some money by getting it diagnosed by the mechanic, but hey, it's better than having dealer diagnose and pay $$$$ and not be covered under warranty. There are three reputable places in LA area in case you wanted to know. I think all were either master or lead tech at Lexus service department.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lextech-los-angeles-2

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lex-mastertech-pasadena

http://www.l-spec.com/ (he's clublexus sponsor)
i do have all the docs/. not sure how much other places will charge for diagnostics. i need to get the dealer to work from deal to make it happen
Old 01-31-14, 10:20 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nautilus11
i do have all the docs/. not sure how much other places will charge for diagnostics. i need to get the dealer to work from deal to make it happen
That's great that you have all the docs.

My experience with dealership in terms of getting the work done under warranty - it's you vs. the lexus corporate (not service dept) and whether service dept is willing to go above and beyond b/c if the corporate denies coverage, there's not much service dept can do, except below.

What I would do is (if you really do not want to spend some money for a mechanic to diagnose and back you up and it certainly is cheaper than the dealer) ask for a "Good Will" and this is where service department will go above and beyond if lexus corporate denies the coverage. This should work if you have a good relationship with the service department (i.e. meaning you've done all of your scheduled services with the dealership) and/or the service manager. Service department will try "persuade" the corporate to repair under warranty. This may or may not work, but it's worth a try. A Lexus tech that I know personally (he's my mechanic) told me that dealers would do this.

BTW, diagnostic isn't really expensive and who knows what the real problem is. It may not be what the service department told you. Service advisors make commissions by "selling" more services that are not really needed.

i don't know which dealership you went, but some LA dealers will do this and I know it. A friend of mine was quoted $6,000 to replace transmission because the car "jerks" when shifting from second to third (this is a widely known issue for many Lexuses and there are TSBs). She took it to a mechanic and fixed it for $300. All the transmission needed was one part, not the entire transmission. She still get a call from that dealer (a dealer somewhere in the westside) to come in and repair.

Last resort would be taking it to Dept of Insurance and file a complaint if you truly believe that it should've been covered under the warranty.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck

Last edited by sgmstr; 01-31-14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 10:43 AM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgmstr
That's great that you have all the docs.

My experience with dealership in terms of getting the work done under warranty - it's you vs. the lexus corporate (not service dept) and whether service dept is willing to go above and beyond b/c if the corporate denies coverage, there's not much service dept can do, except below.

What I would do is (if you really do not want to spend some money for a mechanic to diagnose and back you up and it certainly is cheaper than the dealer) ask for a "Good Will" and this is where service department will go above and beyond if lexus corporate denies the coverage. This should work if you have a good relationship with the service department (i.e. meaning you've done all of your scheduled services with the dealership) and/or the service manager. Service department will try "persuade" the corporate to repair under warranty. This may or may not work, but it's worth a try. A Lexus tech that I know personally (he's my mechanic) told me that dealers would do this.

BTW, diagnostic isn't really expensive and who knows what the real problem is. It may not be what the service department told you. Service advisors make commissions by "selling" more services that are not really needed.

i don't know which dealership you went, but some LA dealers will do this and I know it. A friend of mine was quoted $6,000 to replace transmission because the car "jerks" when shifting from second to third (this is a widely known issue for many Lexuses and there are TSBs). She took it to a mechanic and fixed it for $300. All the transmission needed was one part, not the entire transmission. She still get a call from that dealer (a dealer somewhere in the westside) to come in and repair.

Last resort would be taking it to Dept of Insurance and file a complaint if you truly believe that it should've been covered under the warranty.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck
thanks for advice and support sgmstr. will keep posted

Quick Reply: Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement