ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bypass subsonic filter from oem sub for audio install

Old 01-15-14, 08:14 AM
bouncerhvj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass subsonic filter from oem sub for audio install

Hey everyone,

I have an 08 lexus ES350 with nav, non-ML. For the last few years I’ve had an aftermarket sub and amp hooked up using the signal from the oem subwoofer output. However, the problem I noticed right away was that the signal had a subsonic filter that cutoff the signal below 30 Hz, which is usually my favorite part of many songs that I listen to. I haven’t done anything about it until now because I still have my kia optima with an aftermarket head unit, which gives me no issues with reproducing frequencies below 30 Hz. I’ve also installed a similar system in my buddies BMW by tapping into the oem subwoofer signal and it doesn’t have an issue with reproducing low frequencies.

Recently, I added an audiocontrol LC2i, but it just increased the bass output of the frequencies above 30 Hz and not below. My next step is to try to tap into the front speakers based on the post below to see if they are full range with no subsonic filter. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-location.html

I just was curios if anyone else had this problem and what they did to fix it.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-14, 09:12 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I too have added an amp and sub with tap into the OEM sub input. I too noticed that mid range is missing, noticeable mostly when listening to rock music. I just learnt to live with it. I suspect that some signal modification is done at head unit and some by the amp (may be even both). I am sure that someone here can confirm my suspicion?
Old 01-15-14, 09:41 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak to the subsonic filter - but I used small vampire taps on the front speaker level outs at the amp in the trunk to feed my lc2i and have been happy ever since. Someone here had the wiring colors for the front speakers laid out; I can dig those up if you can't find them in a search. I initially thought to tap the sub out near the sub itself, but it made for a cleaner install to just tap at the amplifier and just use the fronts since it's a full range signal. This will give me flexibility later if I want to do a full amp setup for the front/rear speakers.

Last edited by mlacomb; 01-15-14 at 10:30 AM. Reason: <fronts, not sub out>
Old 01-20-14, 09:53 PM
bouncerhvj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. I actually have no issues with the midbass range but tried the full range front channels and the low frequency cutoff actually sounds worse than the sub channel. I was trying to avoid it, but it looks like I'm going to try the JL cleansweep and see if this solves the problem for my lack of 20 Hz - 30 Hz listening experience.
Old 01-21-14, 10:16 PM
bouncerhvj
Driver School Candidate

Alright, so I'm happy to say that the JL cleansweep fixed the problem and my sub can now get nasty low! I had to use the front channels to calibrate the cleansweep since they are full range. The sub channels aren't needed because they won't correctly calibrate the cleansweep without summing signals with the front or rear channels. This worked out perfectly since the cleansweep eliminated all the filters and equalizations in the signal going to my amp. Did a bass test that sweeps from 35 Hz down to 20 Hz and I can now feel it in my chest!
Old 01-22-14, 05:36 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the follow up! What JL CleanSweep product did you use and how did you install it? Are you using the factory speakers for this?
Old 01-22-14, 12:46 PM
bouncerhvj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by igzy
Thanks for the follow up! What JL CleanSweep product did you use and how did you install it? Are you using the factory speakers for this?
I used the JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep. Bought it for $269 open box.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NHAdcfK...leanSweep.html

I have an amp board that sits at the back of the trunk behind the sub, so I'm in the process of making space for the cleansweep on the board. The cleansweep needs an acc wire to turn on and properly use the signal sense setting, so I plan to get the grey acc wire from the oem amp. There are 2 grey wires but one is the mute wire and the other is acc next to the light blue wire.

I'm only using this for my aftermarket subwoofer, but it could be used if I was upgrading the factory speakers with an aftermarket amp. I just turn the bass settings on the head unit down so I don't hear distortion at loud levels in the factory speakers for now.

Last edited by bouncerhvj; 01-25-14 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:17 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I planned ahead years ago when we ordered the car new. No nav so we could replace the head unit. It did take a few years for the install kit to come to market but it was worth the wait. I have no SSF on my Powerbass 1000.1 driving my 12" PSI custom sub.