ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

DIY - Replace rear brake pads

Old 11-19-13, 11:28 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY - Replace rear brake pads

I'm about to replace the rear brake pads on my 2007.

I've done this many times on other vehicles, but this will be the first time on the ES350.

Can anyone tell me if I need to push and turn back the rear pistons, or do you just push them straight in with a C-Clamp or other tool.

I will be using OEM pads, and reusing any shims.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-13, 12:22 PM
chbow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I'm answering this correctly (and understanding). I've don't this and just used a brake clamp to push in the piston and replace over pads, pretty straightforward.
Old 11-19-13, 02:16 PM
GCL
Driver

Was that for replacing the rear brake pads?

I know that for front disk pad replacement, you can just push back the pistons in order to slip in the new pads.

But on the rear brakes for GM and other cars you need to turn the piston in order to retract it, because you need to "reset and back off" the parking brake mechanism.

I was wondering if I need to also turn back the rear brake pistons, or do I just push them back directly.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by chbow
I hope I'm answering this correctly (and understanding). I've don't this and just used a brake clamp to push in the piston and replace over pads, pretty straightforward.
Old 11-19-13, 02:32 PM
chbow
Driver

I used the same process of just pushing open the piston with the clamp for both front and back pads. I've only done these and Camry pads so I'm not familiar with "turning piston", hope this helps!
Old 11-19-13, 02:38 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GCL
Was that for replacing the rear brake pads?

I know that for front disk pad replacement, you can just push back the pistons in order to slip in the new pads.

But on the rear brakes for GM and other cars you need to turn the piston in order to retract it, because you need to "reset and back off" the parking brake mechanism.

I was wondering if I need to also turn back the rear brake pistons, or do I just push them back directly.

Thanks.
All of the late style rear brakes that have caliper parking brakes require you to turn the piston as you push it in. There is a simple kit that you can buy or rent that makes this simple. If you try to just push them you will break the unit. The new elect hand brake is a different breed and requires the computer to turn the piston in (unless you cheat ).
Old 11-19-13, 04:04 PM
mnedescu
Driver School Candidate

so for the 2007 - 2012 es's, what style are the rear brakes? i thought the hand brake (foot parking brake) is a shoe inside the rear disk brakes. and the rear brakes are just pistons that you push in without turning.
Old 11-19-13, 07:04 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mnedescu
so for the 2007 - 2012 es's, what style are the rear brakes? i thought the hand brake (foot parking brake) is a shoe inside the rear disk brakes. and the rear brakes are just pistons that you push in without turning.

Yep you are right. Rears are internal drum with standard calipers. That being the case the pistons can be pushed in with a standard C-clamp. I just finished an Audi A4 which has the caliper type of hand brake.
Old 11-20-13, 05:54 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, older GM cars with rear disks had the turn (screw) type pistons with parking brake integrated and to move them back one had to disconnect the parking brake cable and then push and turn the piston at the same time. There is a special tool to help with that...

On ES, the parking brake is separate and you don't need to worry about it when replacing disk pads. The disk brake piston is simply compressed back (push back with a C-clamp or pry bar)...
Old 11-20-13, 08:49 AM
GCL
Driver

Thanks for your replies, everyone!