Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Thinking about Purchasing a ES or GS

Hi im From South Florida
and im thinking about purchasing a new to me used lexus ES or GS
there are 2 ES models i like one is a 06 330 the other is a 07 350

there is also a GS model i am looking at and like the 06 350

i know these are 2 different vehicles
and 2 sections of the forums that have topics for the ES and GS
and i don't want to go posting twice in 2 sections on the same topic because i know other forums where this happens it can lead to arguments and taken space up

so im hoping some here can help me and that the GS members might also come threw this way and see it also

I currently am a Cadillac Owner
i have a 2000 seville
wtich for the past 3 years
has sucked me dry
over on another forum the pepole who know me are really damm happy i am getting a new car
since they have seen me spend over 20,000 on repairs on this cadillac in the past 3 years

im just tried of anywhere from 300-1300 a month on repairs and maintenance
I would rather spend 400-500 a month on a car payment

So i am hoping some of you nice people can help me out here

what might be the big concerns i could have with both of these ES and GS models
are they very reliable are there really bad known issues that happen with them

since the ES is mostly a Camary form what i have heard is this true and does it mean that parts and repairs will be along the same as a toyota since they are made by the same company ?

what kind of maintenance needs to be done

is 17,999 a good price for either of these vehicles ?
both have under 70k one has 68k the other has 44k for the ES
and the GS are the same also at 60k

do the ones that have Navigation also have the capability of running my iPhone or other phones via Blue Tooth
for voice and music ?

if i pick up one that does not have navigation but has the screen in it can i add a Factory Navigation unit to it ?

thank you
Old 01-31-13, 12:37 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was me, I would look into at least a 2010 model ES350 as the 2007 would not support the i-phone adding navigation means either a Garmin or Tom Tom add on. And there were many issues with the 2007 ES350, including transmission, oil leaks, window regulator problems etc. I think you would be in same boat with regard to monthly repair costs. And no warranty to cover major problems.
Old 01-31-13, 12:47 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by garsarno
If it was me, I would look into at least a 2010 model ES350 as the 2007 would not support the i-phone adding navigation means either a Garmin or Tom Tom add on. And there were many issues with the 2007 ES350, including transmission, oil leaks, window regulator problems etc. I think you would be in same boat with regard to monthly repair costs. And no warranty to cover major problems.

a 2010 or newer is going to be out of the budget for me im dropping 6 large on the deposit and the rest is going to be paid off in 3 years 4 years max

i already have a price for a warranty threw a company that is known to be good my old mechanic up in ohio tells me he deals with this company a policy from wynns warranty company that never gives him any trouble and they always approve services all the time

they are gong to write a policy for a service contract for the 07 either the GS or the ES would give me 4 years an 100k additional miles and cover the Drive-train transmission engine ac parts and other major parts also

the other options i was thinking about was an older GS like an 02 or 03 body style those look nice
the Older ES i don't really like that much
Old 01-31-13, 12:50 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Also is Premium fuel required or is it just Recommended ?

will it run ok on 87 regular
my cadillac seville SLS
has a engine that was built to run on regular so i use 87 and every 5,000 to 6,000 miles i fill up with a bottle of techron fuel additive and a tank of Premium 92 or better fuel

will this be a ok procedure for a 07 ES or GS ?
or do i always have to use 91 or higher fuel
Old 01-31-13, 03:17 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run nothing less than 89 in my ES. I would not run 87 only because the car really isn't designed to run on it. Reason being, Lexus/Toyota build high compression 6cyl engines. High compression and low octane = knocking, or pulling so much timing to avoid knock that it makes the car a dog.

The 06 GS is a different animal entirely than the 07 GS. I personally prefer the GS to the ES but could not find one in my price range, so I went with the ES. If you can afford an 07 GS, get it. If not, the 06 will be fine, but has a different engine and a bit less power.

As for an ES, look for an 08 or 09. I would not pay for an extended warranty beyond engine and transmission IMO, as it's not really necessary unless you don't do any maintenance yourself. these cars are very reliable and really don't cost all that much to repair outside of engine/trans. If electronics fail, which is rare, there are plenty of second hand parts available at affordable prices.
Old 01-31-13, 04:26 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'd go with the 06' ES330.
Old 01-31-13, 06:34 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'd go with the 06' ES330.
how come the 330 ?
the main reason i was intrested in the ES 350 07 is because it had the navigation unit its also only got 44k on it

the other ones all have around 70 or 80k and id really like to have a car that i can drive for 2 years before it goes over 100k
i drive 24k a year to and from school is 85 miles a day 5 days a week
then i do long road trips every few months
Old 01-31-13, 06:35 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jcat_350
I run nothing less than 89 in my ES. I would not run 87 only because the car really isn't designed to run on it. Reason being, Lexus/Toyota build high compression 6cyl engines. High compression and low octane = knocking, or pulling so much timing to avoid knock that it makes the car a dog.

The 06 GS is a different animal entirely than the 07 GS. I personally prefer the GS to the ES but could not find one in my price range, so I went with the ES. If you can afford an 07 GS, get it. If not, the 06 will be fine, but has a different engine and a bit less power.

As for an ES, look for an 08 or 09. I would not pay for an extended warranty beyond engine and transmission IMO, as it's not really necessary unless you don't do any maintenance yourself. these cars are very reliable and really don't cost all that much to repair outside of engine/trans. If electronics fail, which is rare, there are plenty of second hand parts available at affordable prices.

with the ES why an 08 or 09 ?
did something change in those years i know the new body for the ES and the big changes where in 07 but what is it about a 08 ?
Old 01-31-13, 06:50 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

here is the 07 GS 350 i am thinking about http://www.floridafinecars.com/home/...cat=HOLLYWOOD#
but really at 82k i would be over 100k in like 6 months 3 years 4 years max before i hit over 200k

here is the 07 Es350 im thinking about
http://www.floridafinecars.com/home/...4132?cat=MIAMI
it even still has 4 months 25k left on the drive-train warranty witch i think is a plus
Old 01-31-13, 07:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
with the ES why an 08 or 09 ?
did something change in those years i know the new body for the ES and the big changes where in 07 but what is it about a 08 ?
The early 2007's had some issues and most of them were corrected by the 08 and 09 model years.

I had an early build 07 that was problem free so there are a lot of good ones out there.
Old 01-31-13, 07:21 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

what where the problems with the 07s ?
how can i tell if i had a late build or early build 07 ?

is there a way to decode the vin to find information on build date and options ?

i know there is a website that i go to that will give information on most American cars called compnine
but it won't work for lexus
guess im going to have alot to learn about the car i pick

the cadillac even has a onboard computer scanner that lets me pull codes im going to take a guess that japan never installed this kind of item in the lexus ?
Old 01-31-13, 07:44 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

also can the units play SD cards or USB drivers are there any connections for these ?
Old 02-01-13, 12:29 AM
chbow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 ES Bluetooth works fine with voice but for music you need to use the aux in.
Old 02-01-13, 04:45 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by chbow
07 ES Bluetooth works fine with voice but for music you need to use the aux in.
what about like for SD card or USB mini sd cars audio play back is there a way i can do this ?
Old 02-01-13, 05:09 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a USB port starting I think on 2010+ models, located in the center console.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Purchasing a ES or GS