ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil leak, HELP, (pictures provided).

Old 01-16-13, 12:33 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil leak, HELP, (pictures provided).

I just noticed a spot of oil on my garage floor today from the picture it looks like it's coming from a line coming from a pump. If anyone has more information or a link to a thread it would greatly appreciated. I had to get under the car to see it.
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak, HELP, (pictures provided).-image.jpg  
Old 01-16-13, 01:58 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

a more zoomed out pic would help. I didn't think these cars have a pulley driven oil pump, but if they do that could be what it is.
Old 01-16-13, 03:14 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jcat_350
a more zoomed out pic would help. I didn't think these cars have a pulley driven oil pump, but if they do that could be what it is.
This is the furthest pic I could get until I can get it on a hoist, I was trying to find it on Sewell with no luck.
Old 01-16-13, 06:10 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a 2007 model?

That model year had a run of leaking timing covers due to a assembly line robot error. the leak is from right behind the p/s pump. If yours is one of the affected models (known only by VIN) then most likely that's your problem. It's a big job to fix. Your dealer can tell you if yours is in the affected VIN range. Timing Cover Leak.

Last edited by Road Rage; 01-16-13 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 07:09 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Is it a 2007 model?

That model year had a run of leaking timing covers due to a assembly line robot error. the leak is from right behind the p/s pump. If yours is one of the affected models (known only by VIN) then most likely that's your problem. It's a big job to fix. Your dealer can tell you if yours is in the affected VIN range. Timing Cover Leak.
Yes it is a 2007 model, I've read a lot about that leak but I believe mine to be different as the oil is much lower on the motor. It looks like the oil pump line where the line meets the pump. I'm trying to find a part # for the line and the gasket, I talked to the dealer today and the said that VVTI Oil line has been replaced on my model along with the pedal recall.
Old 01-16-13, 07:21 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

After some research I'm thinking this is power steering fluid and not oil at all thank god! The line that is leaking is the power steering pump line right at the pump.
Old 01-21-13, 07:58 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

I really, seriously doubt that's P/S fluid.

You say your leak looks lower on the motor, but have you considered gravity will pull the oil downward?

Power steering fluid is usually red/pink. Check your PS reservoir to see what color the fluid is. Sometimes it can be clear/grayish but if it's THAT brown you need some service either way.

I would also suspect the timing cover as mentioned above because that definitely appears to be motor oil, not steering fluid.
Old 01-22-13, 07:07 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

My power steering fluid is black, needs to be flushed bad!!!!! It's definitely not oil. I also called the dealer to see if my vin is affected by the timing cover leak and they said no thank god. Either way it needs some attention as soon as the nice weather comes around and I get it out of storage. And I did consider gravity smart *** lol everything below the leak is soaked with really dirty power steering fluid.
Old 01-23-13, 03:29 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically the timing cover oil leak looks exactly like that... The fact though that part of the line is wet leads me to believe it is power steering line, BUT the axle is directly below the drip, so if it is leaking, oil on a rotating axle could sling it back up...

Without looking at the car in person, it's hard to say...

NOTE: Timing cover leaks exist outside the VIN range in the TSBs
Old 01-25-13, 05:27 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELITech
Typically the timing cover oil leak looks exactly like that... The fact though that part of the line is wet leads me to believe it is power steering line, BUT the axle is directly below the drip, so if it is leaking, oil on a rotating axle could sling it back up...

Without looking at the car in person, it's hard to say...

NOTE: Timing cover leaks exist outside the VIN range in the TSBs
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep everyone posted on what the problem is. I really hope it's not the timing cover but I guess we will find out soon enough.
Old 01-25-13, 06:32 AM
bwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing cover leaking

it happened to my ES350 2007. My mechanical told me the power steering was leaking. Went to the dealer for warranty service. The dealer checked it up & confirmed it was the timing belt cover leaking not the power steering. Big/expensive job but under warranty. Lucky.
Old 01-25-13, 10:10 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SICK350
My power steering fluid is black, needs to be flushed bad!!!!! It's definitely not oil. I also called the dealer to see if my vin is affected by the timing cover leak and they said no thank god. Either way it needs some attention as soon as the nice weather comes around and I get it out of storage. And I did consider gravity smart *** lol everything below the leak is soaked with really dirty power steering fluid.
If your PS fluid is that bad, it's probably going to be that. Makes more sense as that means that's the PS pump and not an oil pump.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-13, 05:37 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Look how dirty this power steering fluid is, I can't wait until spring to change all the fluids. I've also been monitoring the oil level and it hasn't moved so that a good sign.
Old 01-27-13, 05:38 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Just a dab on the finger.
Old 01-29-13, 11:32 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

uh....buddy? I wouldn't wait until spring to replace that fluid. You let it run dirty like that long enough it's gonna take out the PS pump with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak, HELP, (pictures provided).