ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Part Diagram and Number Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 08:39 AM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part Diagram and Number Needed

I have a 2010 ES350 that I bought new. Shortly after purchase, the dealer replaced the panel on the LF door that holds/surrounds the window controls because the chrome trim piece had peeling chrome. At the time, Lexus of Chandler said the chrome damage was my fault but replaced it anyway out of goodwill in spite of the fact that the part (he said) costs $840.00.

Now, two years later, the chrome trim is again damaged, this time probably from my metal watch band scratching it heavily. I don't know how that happened but I am interested in seeing a parts diagram, part number and price on the chrome trim. Any ideas where i might find this info? Also, any information on access and removal without damaging anything.

Thanks,
Old 09-18-12, 10:08 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It appears that the chromed plastic trim is integral with the wood switch panel assembly, at a cost of over 700 bucks. You can find it here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2011.html. It's in the "Armrest" drawing (in the left column). I would be interesting to see how the plastic trim is attached to the wood piece. I doubt that Lexus will ever make the plastic piece available as a seperate piece part but if the plastic trim could be removed without breaking it then there are plating shops that can replate plastic auto parts.

Last edited by oldgrump; 09-18-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 10:12 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

i dont know how useful this will be but section 2 shows how to remove the part.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
03.pdf (541.3 KB, 994 views)
Old 09-18-12, 01:10 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Thank you gentlemen. With that information, I think I will remove it and see if the chrome part can be separated for possible replaying. Later I will attempt to determine where to have it replayed.

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-12, 01:45 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

OK, with the information you guys provided, I was easily able to remove the LF door armrest panel assembly and take it apart down to the chrome part that is damaged. I took a few pictures so you can see what it looks like. The issue now is: 1) buy a new chrome piece which I think is the best solution but I cannot find it for sale; or 2) have the chrome piece rechromed but I am not sure that would result in a like-new condition (where the chrome is gone it might be rough in feel and sight).

The damage is not scratches from my watch as originally thought. There are NO scratches only chrome that has been eroded from the base. Possibly oils from my hand or cleaning solutions such as Macguires Interior Detailer which I use a lot. Other cleaners include 409 and windex. Seems the cleaners are more likely but none of the other areas in the interior have a problem.

Any ideas? If I get it rechromed, any local places in Phoenix area that I can show them the piece and discuss the process?
Attached Thumbnails Part Diagram and Number Needed-img_0007.jpg   Part Diagram and Number Needed-img_0008.jpg   Part Diagram and Number Needed-img_0009.jpg   Part Diagram and Number Needed-img_0012.jpg  
Old 09-22-12, 04:49 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I see the 3 clips (yellow) and 5 claws but I'm not clear how sticking a wrapped flat edge screw driver in the seam will disengage them. Will a simple insert and pry do the trick?

edit the rechrome process intrigued me and i found this resource via google

http://muellercorp.com/restoration.php

Last edited by nevernu; 09-22-12 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-22-12, 05:34 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Now we know that the "chromed" piece is easily separated from the "assembly" and actually appears to be the part with the clips and claws that retain the assembly to the armrest. I think some pressure needs to be applied to Lexus to make this part available as a buyable part. I did not know about the "vacuum metalizing" process, but just locating a company that can accomplish the vacuum metalizing or even a plating shop for rechroming and then sending this part away for vacuum metalizing, or replating, whatever it is, will take time, effort and money. For environmental reasons plating shops are going the way of the dodo. Irrespective of how this part might get damaged, it would make more sense for Lexus to supply the new part. It looks like everyone should be aware not to use any cleaning products or any other chemicals on the "chromed" plastic parts on these cars........just use your dampened microfiber cloth.
Old 09-22-12, 06:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I've been following this thread, and IMHO, Lexus screwed the pooch when they put that chrome trim around the window controls in 2010. Earlier ES350s had only the wood inlay around the window switch, door lock area and again, IMO, it looks far better than the piece with the chrome trim, it looks gaudy to me. No other Lexus model has chrome trim around a wood piece like that. In the 2013 ES Lexus didn't put wood trim in the window switch area, and again, IMO, that is also a mistake.

And, to the OP, there must be a chromer in the Phoenix area. I know there is one in Tucson. When I was living down there and had my Harley, I used to go there to chrome some of my trim pieces and they did a great job.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-22-12 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
k00gent (10-11-19)
Old 09-23-12, 07:54 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Pagago Plating at about 24th St. and Washington. Nice guy, Cliff I believe, and in business a long time. But don't know if they can plate plastic. Give them a call though and ask.

Dave Mac
Old 09-23-12, 10:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Here's a link to the Plater that Dave recommends:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...d.602-273-1408

Lou
Old 09-23-12, 01:52 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I guess I am the only one having this problem. When the vehicle was about three months old, the dealer replaced this part on warranty. Now it has the same problem again.
Old 09-23-12, 04:37 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2010 - I don't wear anything that would scratch the chrome - and the dealer replaced the part as a warranty item. Now as my lease ends I see that it is coming off again.

Dave Mac
Old 09-24-12, 06:48 PM
art2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem as well on my 2010 ES on the driver's side door. Went to the dealer and they replaced the chrome on all 4 doors. As long as your car is still under warranty you won't pay out of pocket.
Old 09-25-12, 05:24 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked at my 2011 version, still okay after 8,000 miles and almost a year. I reviewed my driving habits, my arm does not touch that area and I have cleaned the whole area with Windex in the past. Will avoid doing that again.
Old 10-18-12, 01:54 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Finally back from my rather long trip and ready to get back to resolving this problem. I took the piece apart again and determined the part number of the chrome part is 74236-33010 (that number is molded into the bottom of the piece). The assembly part number of the wood (it is really plastic) and chrome is 74240-33090. I called Chandler Lexus with these two numbers and they reported that those parts are not available to them. He suggested the $718.00 assembly or possibly a recycle yard.

I called Papago Plating but they do not do plastic. They referred me to Kerr West Plating who said they will do plating of plastic for $120.00 per sq. inch. Not a viable alternative. I will try calling some recycle yards in the local area but I am searching for other options, especially buying a new replacement chrome part.

I did an internet search on those part numbers as well as Lexus parts in general with no joy.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Part Diagram and Number Needed