ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Side mirror tilt problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 03:27 PM
MAFreeze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirror tilt problem

Hi all. Relatively new Lexus owner (a tad less than a year, anyway). I have a 2009 ES 350 and I've been having a problem with the driver's side mirror. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced the same problem or has any insight. I just had it at the dealer for maintenance and I had them check it out. Of course, everything appears fine to them. Here's the issue:

When I shift the car into reverse, both mirrors auto-tilt down normally. Upon shifting to drive, both mirrors tilt back to their original position, however sometimes the drivers side mirror keeps tilting up past the original position and doesn't stop until it can't tilt any farther. I often will not notice it until I'm merging into highway traffic, look at my mirror and I'm staring at the sky.

I'd estimate I put my car in reverse a half dozen times or so a day and the problem only seems to occur once or twice a week at most. That said, it does occur somewhat regularly. Any ideas?
Old 08-20-12, 04:21 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See the little toggle switch on the far left side of the dash under the side vent where you adjust the mirrors?

See the switch for "R or L" ?

Put it in the middle . . . problem solved.

Old 08-20-12, 04:59 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by CQRT
See the little toggle switch on the far left side of the dash under the side vent where you adjust the mirrors?

See the switch for "R or L" ?

Put it in the middle . . . problem solved.

You haven't been here long enough to know that.

J/K........
Old 08-20-12, 05:49 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgive me Sensei . .
Old 08-20-12, 06:14 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by CQRT
Forgive me Sensei . .
Old 08-20-12, 06:22 PM
MAFreeze
Driver School Candidate

Ha ha.

Anybody else? Jokes are fine but I'm really curious as to why the thing isn't functioning, and why Lexus can't seem to diagnose it upon their testing.
Old 08-20-12, 06:24 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by MAFreeze
Ha ha.

Anybody else? Jokes are fine but I'm really curious as to why the thing isn't functioning, and why Lexus can't seem to diagnose it upon their testing.
Did you try what CQRT advised?
Old 08-21-12, 10:29 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Try running the mirror all the way down until it starts clicking, then run it up til it hits it's upper limit. Then reset to normal driving position and re-save your seat settings.
Old 08-27-12, 05:15 PM
kewl
Rookie

MAFreeze

I know exactly what you are saying my 07 did the same thing for a while when new. I don't recall which side, I think mine was the passenger side mirror.

Pogman might have a point on the fix...I don't know what caused mine to stop that behavior. It hasn't done it in awhile now.

Good Luck on a fix...

p.s. I never did ask the dealer about it.
Old 08-28-12, 07:29 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

If you put the slider to the middle, the mirror will not tilt down when the car is in reverse, so this wouldn't be a solution to her problems. I would try to do what poqman said. Reset your memory settings.
Old 09-05-12, 01:24 PM
glepera
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem with the rear views and with seat memory. There are a few ways to go here, no kidding:
A: spend a lot of time at the dealership looking for the single chip that is not always making contact and then convincing them to replace it (hope you are in warranty
B: Have the dealere flash the body chip in the CPU that should do it in most cases
C: do what I did. do not use the back up mirror feature. somethings are just not worth the effort

good luck
Old 09-23-12, 11:57 PM
kanu
Driver School Candidate

Default Similar problem

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 2007 ES.

After two years, the driver's side mirror would sometimes not tilt down properly. Dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing the MIRROR SUB-ASSY, OU (87906-33150-B1) and the MIRROR OUTER, LH (87961-53250). "Total Charge for Concern" was $737.02.

Driver's side mirror has been working fine ever since, but within the past year the passenger side mirror has started to exhibit the same problem.
Old 09-24-12, 10:31 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is where the extended warranty comes into play. On a Lexus, there is no "fix" - just replace the entire assembly. Part of modular manufacturing and not allowing the modular part to be broken down any further.
Old 09-24-12, 11:51 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
This is where the extended warranty comes into play. On a Lexus, there is no "fix" - just replace the entire assembly. Part of modular manufacturing and not allowing the modular part to be broken down any further.
I should correct you, to a Lexus dealer there is no fix. They swap the whole assembly get the check for the warranty work and send out the defective part as a core and get some money back. However, this is because they're not ballsy enough or want to take the time enough to disassemble the mirror assembly, find what's not making contact, and resolder it.

Do a google search on 'the three amigos' as it pertains to land rover discoveries. The ABS modulator has a few pins that break off due to poor factory soldering, and can be fixed with about 30min removal time, 10min of soldering, and 20min refit time. Same part used on multiple other vehicles including the Hummer H3. GM dealers would repair, LR dealers would replace.

Cultural differences I suppose
Old 09-24-12, 12:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I read awhile back that the gear was plastic and would wear.Don't know how true that is,though.

Quick Reply: Side mirror tilt problem