ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 Lowered on Camry Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 04:52 PM
JVMP58
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 350 Lowered on Camry Springs

I searched the forum looking for advice on suspension mods for the ES 350. I wasn't ready to go the coil-over route yet and wanted to try Eibach springs for the Camry since they don't have them for the ES. I couldn't find a definitive answer whether or not they worked on the ES platform.

I bit the bullet and ordered Eibach springs for the 07+ Camry. Had them installed last week and they dropped the car 1-1.4" all around. It's not super aggressive; it just took the large gap in the wheel well away.

The springs fit although the ride quality suffered in the sense that you can hear the shock bottoming out over bumps. It seems like, while the springs fit, they are rated for a lighter car. Highway driving is as smooth as before and I still feel like I have a Lexus ride quality for the most part. In the long-run I will probably go with the coil-over system so I can adjust the height and have a smother ride over bumps.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails ES 350 Lowered on Camry Springs-es-350-lowered-2.jpg  

Last edited by JVMP58; 08-13-12 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 06:49 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good - I just dropped my car on Megan coilovers, and have roughly the same ride height as you. I have to say though - the ride smoothness definitely suffered as a result of switching to coilovers but the handling is a lot better.
Old 08-17-12, 12:19 PM
chefchoy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some looking and the Camry V6 weighs 3495 lbs, and the ES 350 weighs 3580 lbs. I really don't see 85 lbs making a huge difference on car springs, I wonder what is different. I am looking right now for an es350, but I want 20+ wheels and I want to get rid of some of the fender gap.......I have looked everywhere for just springs, and not coil overs, but had no luck. What size wheels are you running?
Old 08-17-12, 03:40 PM
nveddy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are 20s with Megan coilovers
Old 08-21-12, 04:06 PM
JVMP58
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chefchoy
I did some looking and the Camry V6 weighs 3495 lbs, and the ES 350 weighs 3580 lbs. I really don't see 85 lbs making a huge difference on car springs, I wonder what is different. I am looking right now for an es350, but I want 20+ wheels and I want to get rid of some of the fender gap.......I have looked everywhere for just springs, and not coil overs, but had no luck. What size wheels are you running?
You make a good point. I'm not sure what else would make the ride suffer then. The front tend to "bottom out" very quickly. I'm running IS 350 factory 18" wheels with 225/40 Front and 245/40 Rear. In the future I'll either put more rubber on them or just go with 19" wheels. There is still plenty of room with the drop.

Last edited by JVMP58; 08-21-12 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 04:09 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Pretty cool, nice work man.
Old 08-21-12, 06:16 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice ride.
Old 08-22-12, 08:32 AM
dougjones
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are running OEM shocks still, there lies your issue. By lowering the vehicle, you have reduced the travel of your shocks, thus the bottoming out. When going with lowering springs, it's usually best to also go with a more agressive shock/strut.
Old 08-22-12, 06:25 PM
JVMP58
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dougjones
If you are running OEM shocks still, there lies your issue. By lowering the vehicle, you have reduced the travel of your shocks, thus the bottoming out. When going with lowering springs, it's usually best to also go with a more agressive shock/strut.
Figured as much. There was a significant improvement in the handling once I put the Eibachs on there and I'm really happy with the height but the bottoming-out is getting annoying.

I'm probably going to switch to coil-overs soon.
Old 08-23-12, 04:07 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the wheels. Racy variation of the stock wheels.
Old 08-23-12, 12:28 PM
ashleymari
Driver School Candidate

Looks really good!

Those wheels....definitely look hot.
Old 08-25-12, 08:16 AM
JVMP58
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garsarno
I like the wheels. Racy variation of the stock wheels.
That's defiantly the look I was going for. I wanted to stay with a factory option but something sportier than the original 17" silver multi-spoke.

I will more than likely end up putting the 19" hyper black muti-spoke wheels from the newer IS-F on it.
Old 08-27-12, 07:48 PM
AgentRS
Driver School Candidate

Looks good, but sucks about the bottoming issue...definitely is keeping me from doing it.
Old 08-27-12, 08:45 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the OP use the Camry SE springs which if I remember correctly are a different PN than the LE and XLE springs? I believe the SE springs along with SE specific struts and stabilizer bars are used to lower the ride height and stiffen up the handling on the SE. The ES 350 springs, struts and stabilizer bars all have different PNs than any of the associated Camry (any model) parts.......so it isn't all that simple. I think that you'll also find that the curb weight difference is more like 150 lbs (this is comparing a V6 Camry with the ES). You can find the Camry parts here (you do have to select the year, the correct model/product/chassis, and engine): http://www.*******.com/parts/q_U_201...CAMRY_all.html. The Lexus parts are here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2011.html edit: some kind of link prevention for the Toyota parts website......see below.

Last edited by oldgrump; 08-27-12 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Replace the asterisks in the address with capital tee, lower case oyo, upper case diy
Old 08-28-12, 05:56 AM
JVMP58
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Did the OP use the Camry SE springs which if I remember correctly are a different PN than the LE and XLE springs? I believe the SE springs along with SE specific struts and stabilizer bars are used to lower the ride height and stiffen up the handling on the SE. The ES 350 springs, struts and stabilizer bars all have different PNs than any of the associated Camry (any model) parts.......so it isn't all that simple. I think that you'll also find that the curb weight difference is more like 150 lbs (this is comparing a V6 Camry with the ES). You can find the Camry parts here (you do have to select the year, the correct model/product/chassis, and engine): http://www.*******.com/parts/q_U_201...CAMRY_all.html. The Lexus parts are here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2011.html edit: some kind of link prevention for the Toyota parts website......see below.
For my drop I used springs for the Camry SE V6 model. With springs costing ~$250 for the set I'm suggesting purchasing coil-overs at ~$850 instead. The extra money is worth better ride quality; especially in a Lexus.

Quick Reply: ES 350 Lowered on Camry Springs