ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2012 ES350 Paint!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 10:04 AM
scotish1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 ES350 Paint!!!!!!

Bought a ES350 Truffle Mica brown ext. paint I have less then 5000 miles on it and it has so many scratches I have lost count!! I do not put my car through car washes and have always bought high end cars, so I am compulsive about caring for them. I am wondering if any one else is experiencing this problem? The dealer obviously Say's there is nothing they can do, and it must be the roads I drive on? I had a clear bra put on before picking it up, so, I am at a lost for where to go from here. I get sick to my stomach when I look at the car, knowing , I had nothing to do with the scratches which are all over the car including the roof, not deep scratches just enough , so you can see them and they are every where . from a inch to three inches. I have read that they have had this problem in previous years, but figured they had the problem straighten out. Would like to hear from any one else that is experiencing this same problem??
Old 07-15-12, 01:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I feel your pain on the scratches. Any idea what is causing them? I've had a few small rock chips which are to be expected over time, but scratches sounds like something else is causng them.

I've had two ES350's and neither have had an issue with scratches. There have been some threads about Lexus having soft paint. I haven't experienced it but other members have.

Good luck with finding a solution.
Old 07-15-12, 05:52 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I don't know if you can get any relief from Lexus for this, but to try to halt the damage and prevent more, I suggest using a mild polish product (like Scratch-X) to remove existing scratches, and then apply 2-3 coats of a good paste wax product. That should at least help in the interim; just make sure to keep up the wax coat.
Old 07-15-12, 11:22 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vulturedoo
I don't know if you can get any relief from Lexus for this, but to try to halt the damage and prevent more, I suggest using a mild polish product (like Scratch-X) to remove existing scratches, and then apply 2-3 coats of a good paste wax product. That should at least help in the interim; just make sure to keep up the wax coat.
False, it wont halt it. You're better off with trying to prevent it with a real coating instead of a wax. OptiCoat 2.0 technically is a "hard" sacrificial layer that lasts for years. Should try that over some Over the Counter product you find elsewhere

To the OP:
Please tell the dealership you bring your car to NOT wash the car with their courtesy wash. As for further measures, touchless washes are your best bet since ANY friction of any kind will micromarr the paint at microscopic levels. Just some food for thought. Paint is paint, just do as much preventive measures as you can and thats about all you can do. Trust me
Old 07-16-12, 01:18 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotish1
Bought a ES350 Truffle Mica brown ext. paint I have less then 5000 miles on it and it has so many scratches I have lost count!! I do not put my car through car washes and have always bought high end cars, so I am compulsive about caring for them. I am wondering if any one else is experiencing this problem? The dealer obviously Say's there is nothing they can do, and it must be the roads I drive on? I had a clear bra put on before picking it up, so, I am at a lost for where to go from here. I get sick to my stomach when I look at the car, knowing , I had nothing to do with the scratches which are all over the car including the roof, not deep scratches just enough , so you can see them and they are every where . from a inch to three inches. I have read that they have had this problem in previous years, but figured they had the problem straighten out. Would like to hear from any one else that is experiencing this same problem??
When you wash your car, what type of cleaner and what are you using the dry with? Do you use a car cover?
Old 07-16-12, 06:04 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ES350 has soft paint, that it, more prone to surface scratches than other manufacturers. My 2007 dark blue experienced more scratches since new. There has been other posts about this through the years. My 2011 red does not seem to show the scratches as much as my previous dark blue did.
Old 07-16-12, 10:53 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyezack87
False, it wont halt it. You're better off with trying to prevent it with a real coating instead of a wax. OptiCoat 2.0 technically is a "hard" sacrificial layer that lasts for years. Should try that over some Over the Counter product you find elsewhere:
I didn't know there was such a thing. Nice to know there's an intermediate step between "wax" and "clearcoat" in terms of permanence. I may give this a try on my own car.
Old 07-16-12, 10:47 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by Vulturedoo
I didn't know there was such a thing. Nice to know there's an intermediate step between "wax" and "clearcoat" in terms of permanence. I may give this a try on my own car.
I've tried "First Gen" technologies of ceramic coatings and have had immense success (2 years) so have at it bud . Also, OC2.0 is absolutely amazing on wheels in terms of helping clean off brake dust easily
Old 07-17-12, 10:20 AM
scotish1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your input , I have tried bringing my car to a reputable detailer and had him put two coats of wax and one coat of polish and did not help one bit, so I think my next try will be the optiCoat 2.0 and see if that does not harden things up, I just thought a 40 thousand dollar car, could handle, just day to day driving??? If not I will have to trade this S$#@ box in and go back to an american car. Never thought I would say that.
Old 07-18-12, 12:07 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Reputable or not, a wax is wax. Polish is polish, which is designed to remove your clearcoat to make it look new again. Please do remember, paint will NEVER withstand rocks at 60+mph. If you wish to trade it in for another brand and experience the same exact issues, please feel free. I reiterate my statement about denying courtesy washes and the like. Use only touch free and your chances of scratching will be much less. ANY type of friction will cause paint to scratch, even if you don't see it. Clay bar is a wonderful example of that. Just some food for thought for everyone
Old 07-18-12, 04:04 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are hand washing the car (versus taking to commercial car washes), then the sponge or whatever you are washing the car with is scratching the paint. Try purchasing a new soap applicator with a soft, deep "fur" to it and replacing it every year. Rinse it after use and after dropping it on pavement (which I have done many times). My 2011 Matador Red Mica ES350 is experiencing no scratches (that I can see after examination) after commercial and hand car washes versus my 2007 Black Sapphire did which had same problems as you are experiencing.
Old 07-18-12, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah I think the issue here is your washing technique. I detailed cars professionally years ago, and am still an enthusiast detailer now although I don't have the time to devote to it I once did.

Mine is the same color, and its no more prone to scratching as my previous 03 Black Garnet Pearl ES was, or our Jeep. Hell...I even run the cars through an automatic carwash nowadays and it still looks great. I'm sure if I broke out the halogens and look at the sides I'd have scratches from the carwash...but I don't do things like that anymore LOL.

Tell us a little about your wash process and maybe we can help.
Old 07-18-12, 07:15 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyezack87
ANY type of friction will cause paint to scratch, even if you don't see it. Clay bar is a wonderful example of that. Just some food for thought for everyone
Are you saying that a clay bar should not be used on this car because of the soft paint?
Old 07-19-12, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No, you just have to be sure you use the claybar properly. I've clayed my Truffle ES twice since I've had it, no scratches.

Be sure the clay is clean, constantly knead and turn the clay, if you drop it...throw it away...use lots of quick detailer as a lubricant. I like to wash, then rinse, then re-soap each panel and clay. To me it goes much quicker and the sudsy soap makes sure the paint is well lubricated.
Old 07-19-12, 12:47 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, have it professionally detailed and buffed. A Rotary should clean them up as long as they don't catch your finger nail. Even if they do get Dr. Rock Chip Kit. Stuff works wonders.

Quick Reply: 2012 ES350 Paint!!!!!!