ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Thoughts from a Very Satisfied 2007 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 07:22 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calmondo
I purchased a 2007 ES350 in July 2006 and it has been the best automobile I have ever owned, and I have had plenty. I obtained a California Driver’s License in 1945 at age 14. It was called a Juniors Operator Permit; for use when going from school or work or on business of parent or guardian. That availability was discontinued many years ago, probably for good reason. I enjoy driving with a passion, cross country trips are a favorite.

I have been an active reader of the Forum and read with interest the problems related to the 2007 model: transmission slippage, cold weather engine noise, dash board rattles, wind noise, etc. I, fortunately, experienced none of these. Numerous Forum posts relate to “what octane fuel to you use?” Answers were varied, with a few owners saying, “If you can afford a luxury car, you can afford the premium fuel”. I have 67,000 miles on my 2007, all on 87 octane; and get around 33 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. I call that outstanding. Maybe my engine is producing a few less horsepower, but there’s plenty there for what I need. And, by the way, I could afford the premium fuel.

A continuing Forum remark is, “The ES is just an expensive Camry”, i.e. a foolish waste of money; I don’t think so. But if that is what you believe, then don’t purchase a Lexus and complain about those who do; buy a Camry, and go on the Camry Forum to announce what a wise decision you made. Another complaint is the ES isn’t sporty like a BMW. If I want “sporty”, I’d pick another model in the Lexus line or buy a sporty BMW. The elegant, quiet comfort of the ES is just what I enjoy.

Now in conclusion, I am getting a serious case of “new car itch”. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 2007, but I’ve got the “itch”. I’m sure I’m not the only person that has been affected by the “itch”. The cure is easy; in a few months I will be the proud owner of a 2013 ES 350. And the pleasure of my 2007 will live on in the hands of some future owner. I don’t need to hear the warnings not to buy a car in the first year of a revision, as in 2007. The engine and power train will be unchanged from the ES of recent years, and the Camry naysayers will have to change their tune; maybe they will use the word Avalon. Thank you for your understanding.
Great to hear because we just picked up an ES and hope you have even a better ownership experience with the 2013!
Old 08-05-12, 06:40 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Calmondo,
Thanks for your thorough write up. I concur completely. In May 2006 I special ordered a 2007 ES350 UL and acceped delivery in July 2006. What a wonderful vehicle. Being a very mature Senior individual I have owned many, many vehicles during my time. This has no doubt been the best one in every detail that I have ever owned. No problems whatsoever. Not even a squeak or rattle and my hearing is very good. None of those that have been discussed in this forum. Just the normal service and check ups. I get the itch some times but when I drive this '07 I stop scratching. Only has 26K miles so guess I wil keep it for awhile unless I really like the 2013 after seeing one in person and the itch wont stop.
Old 08-05-12, 06:27 PM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by donmatt
Calmondo,
Thanks for your thorough write up. I concur completely. In May 2006 I special ordered a 2007 ES350 UL and acceped delivery in July 2006. What a wonderful vehicle. Being a very mature Senior individual I have owned many, many vehicles during my time. This has no doubt been the best one in every detail that I have ever owned. No problems whatsoever. Not even a squeak or rattle and my hearing is very good. None of those that have been discussed in this forum. Just the normal service and check ups. I get the itch some times but when I drive this '07 I stop scratching. Only has 26K miles so guess I wil keep it for awhile unless I really like the 2013 after seeing one in person and the itch wont stop.
Glad to hear that your es350 has been a wonderful vehicle...At 26,000 miles, it is barely broken in...I assume that it stays in the garage most of the time (due to the low mileage)....Also, falling out windows is not a problem if the owner does not use them..Did you get the oil cooler line replaced? Any problem is transmission? Any problem with rear brakes? Has any side windows come off track?.......My 07 es350 has 78,000 and it was put into service in July,07I had the drivers side window came off track...The dealer quoted me $660 to replace it............It you decide to get rid of your es350, please let me know........I would gladly dump mine and replace it with your vehicle..........

Last edited by retired; 08-05-12 at 06:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-05-12, 06:32 PM
retired
Driver

I also own an 01 LX470 and my 07 es350 is not half the vehicle of the LX470.........IMO, the es350 is not a true LUXURY car.....
Old 08-05-12, 06:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by retired
Glad to hear that your es350 has been a wonderful vehicle...At 26,000 miles, it is barely broken in...I assume that it stays in the garage most of the time (due to the low mileage)....Also, falling out windows is not a problem if the owner does not use them..Did you get the oil cooler line replaced? Any problem is transmission? Any problem with rear brakes? Has any side windows come off track?.......My 07 es350 has 78,000 and it was put into service in July,07I had the drivers side window came off track...The dealer quoted me $660 to replace it............It you decide to get rid of your es350, please let me know........I would gladly dump mine and replace it with your vehicle..........
I'm surprised you'd want another one. It might be time to go with someting else.
Old 08-06-12, 06:09 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Retired,
So am I. Yes, my ES and RX are garaged when not driven, and yes the windows are used quite frequently. With three vehicles owned I try to rotate the driving time. The oil cooler line has been replaced due to the recall but I did not consider that a problem for me since ownership. I have owned two RX's ('07 & '11), an '07 LX470 and this ES and all have been simply trouble free except for the Dunlop tires on my '11 RX and the Dealer took care of that for me by installing Michelins. I have installed clear Exact mats on all of my vehicles including the trunk/cargo area so the carpet basically has never been used. I will have to agree with the previous post in saying "Why would you consider purchasing another ES with all the troubles you have experienced with your '08" Again I have nothing but praise with my experience with Lexus vehicles." However, I will be more than delighted to advise you should I get the itch for a 2013. Send me a PM if your interest peaks.

Last edited by donmatt; 08-06-12 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 06:51 AM
retired
Driver

Default reason to get another 07 es350

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm surprised you'd want another one. It might be time to go with someting else.
Sadly to say, my wife likes the 07 es350 and she enjoys driving it...This is the only reason that I would consider getting another one............She depends on me to take care of all the problems associated with the car...
Old 08-06-12, 08:51 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly to say, my wife likes the 07 es350 and she enjoys driving it...This is the only reason that I would consider getting another one............She depends on me to take care of all the problems associated with the car...
Sounds to me like you got stuck with a bad one. I'm surprised that you would have so many problems with one Lexus. I mean it's one thing for the model as a whole to have some known issues, but to encounter so many on one vehicle, especially a Lexus, is weird.

I imagine that if you got another one, you would have a better experience.
Old 08-06-12, 09:18 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2011 so far has been better than my '07. No transmission issues, paint seems to be holding up better. Runs like a top!
Old 08-06-12, 09:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
My 2011 so far has been better than my '07. No transmission issues, paint seems to be holding up better. Runs like a top!
That's the best thing about buying a vehicle that's near or at the end of it's cycle.Along with great discounts.
Old 08-06-12, 10:17 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto that.