Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

sticky melting dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 04:30 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

well i know that it was the Sun Glaring that blinded me for a moment but i mean i didn't realize that it was probably the sticky dash that caused the glare to hit me like it did
i didn't put two and two together until now
Old 11-04-14, 10:56 AM
spongerwil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I have the sticky dash issue. I've attached a picture of my 2007 Lexus ES350. Their is stickiness about the instrument panel and passenger side. Hopefully Lexus will replace and take care of this issue with minimal cost and headaches.
Attached Thumbnails sticky melting dash-image.jpg  
Old 01-20-15, 05:23 PM
cassiegal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdyork60
I just purchased a 2008 ES350 a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it had a sticky part above the instrument panel the salesman ( used car dealer- Toyota Mall of Georgia) said they would clean it up. Turns out it is not just sticky, the whole dash top when it sits in the sun starts breaking down. The dash is a foam, cushy material but I have found hundreds of threads on 2002 IS with the exact problem, but not so many o n th ES. Does anyone else have this problem with their dash? I know it is breaking down due to heat, and it ends up "shining" giving a reflection in the window that is distracting and unsafe. I anticipate pursuing Lexus further as they claiim they have never heard of the problem. Toyota dealer says there is a "paint" they can use to fix it.... I don't like this fix. I think this is a Lexus problem, and I will get this fixed. For a $30K used car, I drive a lot and driving in GA or the south for hours, I can't put a window reflector up- nor should I have to. It's a LEXUS??? Help?? Speak up if you have this problem. Again, ES350, not an IS with melting/sticky dash - unacceptable in my opinion and Lexus does not help.
It has happened on my 2007 ES 350 Lexus. I spoke to someone at Lexus a year or so ago and was told it was not under warranty. However, tonight, the dashboard issue is still ongoing. Contact 5 - Jenn Stratman, does an investigation on this issue. I think Toyota is fixing the problem but I am going to pursue Lexus to fix my dashboard.
Old 01-20-15, 07:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Toyota and Lexus to Fix 4.5 Million Cars if Dashboard is Melting
Old 01-20-15, 07:57 PM
Yiujai86
Rookie

I replaced my sticky dash at my local Lexus dealer last year. Last week when I went to see my service adviser for a check engine light, he told me in a month or two there will be some sort of recall for the dash and I should be reimbursed for the replacement dash I did.
Old 01-26-15, 02:33 AM
VeVe13
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Dash Recall

Just got my 2007 RX's dash replaced last week. Was finally recalled, so no charge...and got to drive a new IS for 24 hours. They did a good job....
Old 02-07-15, 02:33 PM
globetrot
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Will Now Repair For Free and Reimburse For Past Out of Pocket Costs!

I purchased a used 2007 ES 350 in August of last year. I live in Florida now and the vehicle has the same issue with the sticky/melted dashboard. I took it to my local Lexus dealer's service shop who said it would get back to me in two days after talking with corporate, but never did. Actually, the service rep seemed more interested in how to keep me from getting any satisfaction from Lexus, noting things that according to her might void the warranty (even though the warranty had expired long ago). I did not follow up.

Today in the mail, I unexpectedly received a "Warranty Enhancement Notification" from Lexus saying that they will "repair" my dashboard for free, but do not have the parts yet. They expect to have the parts in stock by Spring, 2015. The letter also says that Lexus will reimburse owners who have incurred past out-of-pocket costs fixing this issue. I really hope that repair=replace.

You can get more information at 1-800 255-3987.

Eligible Models: 2007-2008 ES 350, 2003-2008 GX 470, 2004-2006 RX 330, 2007-2009 RX 350 and 2005-2008 RX 400.

Registered here just to post this information. Hope this helps...

UPDATED INFO: Number one, sorry---did not see the posts above saying that Lexus would finally make good on this issue before I posted. Number two, I called the 800 number, and the Lexus rep said that they will actually replace the dashboard panel. He said that Lexus will most probably roll out the program in FL and the SE US first, as that is where the most problems have been reported. He said that it should likely start in May, 2015.

Last edited by globetrot; 02-07-15 at 03:13 PM. Reason: UPDATED INFO
Old 02-13-15, 09:54 AM
rwmnau
Rookie

I also got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago saying they'd replace the dash through either the car's 10th birthday or late 2017 (August, I think - letter is at home and I'm at work). My 2007 ES350 dash still looks great, but the car was in San Diego until I bought it 4 months ago and moved it to Arizona, so a few summers here might do some damage and get a free dash replacement.

Glad to see Lexus stepping up and replacing the dash for free where this occurs, even when the cars are out of warranty - though from the conversation on this thread and others, it would have been nice if they'd done it a bit earlier.
Old 06-04-15, 01:48 PM
emaemae
Driver School Candidate

Default Melting dashboard on the ES350 Lexus

I bought a 2007 ES350 in 2006, meaning it was new only 6 miles on it. About three years ago I started noticing the dashboard was looking different, when I started leaving it in the sun all day it got really bad, everything sticks to the sticky shinning melting stuff now, with the reflection that is not good for driving. I took it to the Lexus dealer I bought it from and they wanted me to pay 1/2 the cost to get it repaired which was 2,500.00, saying they never heard of the dashboard melting like that. I just noticed that it has a 2 in. crack starting on the driver's side of the dashboard now.

Some good news, I spoke to the service department today and we should be getting letters in a couple of weeks for a recall on the matter. yap pee
Old 06-06-15, 07:58 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to congratulate the original member for posting this unpleasant issue and stick with it. I had a same situation happen to me and this forum has helped the processus to go thru quicker. I do believe that Lexus corporation takes seriously in consideration any unpleasant events to their clients first hand. Sometime, **** has to hit the fan for something to happen and lexus corporation will listen, i guess it is better to keep a fidele client than to gain a new one.

I do not believe that the member is *****ing for nothing, because most of lexus clients are well civilized ( not to be discriminating).

Glad that the issue is resolved and considered by lexus corporation as not a isolated issue.anymore.
Old 06-26-15, 09:35 AM
JDaniels
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering Wheel Melting/Peeling

Does anyone have a problem or information regarding the steering wheel panel buttons peeling ? I received the offer from Lexus to replace a sticky/melted dashboard. My issue is not a potential safety hazard as with the dashboard; however this defect makes my ES350 look terrible inside! The dealership advised replacing it for around $400, but I'm concerned it could do the same thing again. Any thoughts or insight??
Old 06-26-15, 09:45 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're going to replace them, I'd buy the plastic buttons that come on the 2010-2012 ES350. I dislike the 2007-2009 buttons, anyway.

Last edited by NickTee; 06-26-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 11:41 AM
JDaniels
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I will check into doing that when I replace them. I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old 07-13-15, 10:40 AM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I just got a letter in mail about the dashboard recall. I'm currently in the waiting of my local Lexus Service Center as they inspect my car and let me know if qualifies for the dashboard replacement. We'll see in about 2 hours...
Old 07-13-15, 11:51 AM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOOHOOO!!! I'm on the waiting list to get my dash replaced. My dash currently looks very similar to the one in the picture posted recently. If you been to your local service center yet, you need to go!

Quick Reply: sticky melting dash