ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Stereo upgrade in 08 es 350 w/ nav

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 08:20 PM
utnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade in 08 es 350 w/ nav

Any suggestions or advice in upgrading the "premium" sound stereo system in an 08 es 350 w/ navigation?
Old 06-18-12, 08:34 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Since I'm the only one here that replaced the stereo (non-nav), I'll help but I'm not familiar with the nav nor the layout of the dash.

Changing speakers is easy. Adding a real sub is easy.
Old 06-18-12, 10:15 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless you could find a Mark Levinson head unit, I'm doubtful that any aftermarket system would integrate with all the systems that your stock head unit works with, like NAV and Climate. I could be wrong, but likely not.

However, as Robert J mentioned, if you want to improve how your system "sounds", upgrading your speakers ought to be much easier & cheaper than buying a new head unit. Plus, you would likely have to upgrade all the speakers anyway if you installed a new head unit. Most of what you hear is due to speaker quality, not the head unit itself.

I have removed my NAV head unit, and while the mechanics of doing that are simple, the head unit itself is truly massive, with a bunch of multi-pin connectors plugging in the back. Given the multiple functions, I'm sure the internals are quite complicated.

Maybe a visit to your local car stereo store would be of use to you--they may have options we simply aren't aware of.
Old 06-18-12, 01:02 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually a nice upgrade on the speakers will enhance the sound. I remember replacing all of my speakers in former cars long ago with Jensen Triaxials (remember those) for a cleaner sound.
Old 06-19-12, 11:21 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Jensen Triaxials !!!!!! With the old blue surrounds.....
You are definitely dating yourself !!!!!! Guess I'm dating myself too as I remember those guys well ........Jensen sold a TON of those

I've been an audio guy / fan/buff for around 35 years or so.
Old 06-20-12, 10:05 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I think everyone into car audio during the '80's knew about those Jensens.
Old 06-20-12, 10:45 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I even got 4" X 10" versions for the '81 Malibu Classic sedan I owned.
Old 06-21-12, 05:28 PM
ChristianM
Driver School Candidate

I have an 07 with non nav head unit. I think the weakest part of the system is the lack of bottom end, not to mention the doors in my car rattle if i turn the bass up from the 0 setting (it should be noted that I listen to my music at 42/62 all the time). Im opting to remove the factory 8" sub as i could not find a suitable replacement and im just putting a 12" Kicker L7. If your just looking for a better, cleaner sound, i would recomment just swapping out the front and reat speakers. You will probably lose a bit of mid-bass without amping them (the factory amp will not push aftermarket speakers to their full potential). Also, i am unsure as to was the crossover frequencies are for the factory amp. For the best interior sounds, i would say get a higher end 6.5" component set upfront, anything decent, i prefer focal personally but they can get pricey, and a clean 4channel amp with the least amount of distortion possible. It will sound a hell of alot better at that point. Or for budget sake, ive been reading that the polk 6.5" components sound preety decent in the ES with the factory amp. Their also fairly inexpensive and ive had a set, theyre a preety good bang for the buck. i WOULD NOT recommend changing that evil nav unit, there is no suitable alternative to it since it controls the climate setting. you probably would want to control that stuff lol im just saying.
Old 06-21-12, 05:29 PM
ChristianM
Driver School Candidate

oh i forgot to add, dynamating the doors and rear deck will also help produce a deeper, cleaner bass tone.
Old 06-22-12, 07:16 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChristianM
oh i forgot to add, dynamating the doors and rear deck will also help produce a deeper, cleaner bass tone.
Please explain and provide links to verified testing.
Old 06-22-12, 11:38 AM
jacobjohn
Driver

?! Dynamating produced a deeper, cleaner bass tone?! Never heard of that!
Old 06-26-12, 03:11 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I have an 07 with non nav head unit. I think the weakest part of the system is the lack of bottom end,
That little 8" sub doesn't do much.

not to mention the doors in my car rattle if i turn the bass up from the 0 setting (it should be noted that I listen to my music at 42/62 all the time)
That's because the front door speakers run full range. There is no high pass crossover to keep the low bass out. With my new head unit, I filter the bass sending 80hz and up to the factory amp and below 80hz to the aftermarket sub amp.

Im opting to remove the factory 8" sub as i could not find a suitable replacement and im just putting a 12" Kicker L7.
You can do better than Kicker.

You will probably lose a bit of mid-bass without amping them (the factory amp will not push aftermarket speakers to their full potential).
When you remove the bass from the factory amp, it has more than enough power to push aftermarket speakers to uncomfortable levels.
Old 06-28-12, 04:18 PM
nikdup
Driver School Candidate

So, if I have a 2007 ES 350 without nav, and NOT the Mark Levinson..how do I get a kit to install a double din? I thought I saw some a couple years back...I'm in Atlanta, GA.
Old 06-28-12, 09:15 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I just got an 07 ES350 with the nav and Mark Levinson audio, and I agree that the bottom end is weak except for the very lowest frequencies. I'm guessing at the range, but between 40-65Hz or so there doesn't seem to be much "punch" compared to my other car's aftermarket radio (I've been listening to the same music CDs in the new car so I'm familiar with how the songs should sound).

Originally Posted by Robert_J
That's because the front door speakers run full range. There is no high pass crossover to keep the low bass out.
That explains a lot...

When you remove the bass from the factory amp, it has more than enough power to push aftermarket speakers to uncomfortable levels.
That sounds like a good alternative to the full range problem. Actually, my main complaint about the Mark Levinson so far is that the high end is TOO clear in comparison to the low end. I have to turn the Treble and Mid almost all the way down because it gives me a headache.

Now that I'm on the subject, is there a way to customize the equalizer more than the 3 levels given? Some kind of software update or somethign? Or am I just fantasizing?
Old 06-29-12, 06:08 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nikdup
So, if I have a 2007 ES 350 without nav, and NOT the Mark Levinson..how do I get a kit to install a double din? I thought I saw some a couple years back...I'm in Atlanta, GA.
Try www.crutchfield.com.

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade in 08 es 350 w/ nav