ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Let's Start a Nav Speed Lock Petition!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 05:19 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Let's Start a Nav Speed Lock Petition!

I think if enough people complained about the Lexus practice of locking out navigation control / phone control / aux control while moving, they would change it. I'm no maverick, and I don't have the skills to organize a formal petition but I'm sure someone on here does, and I know there are plenty of us who would sign it. If not, I ask that people go to the Lexus Navigation website and submit feedback. http://lexusnavigation.com/feedback_option.php

I just went there and submitted the following feedback:

I am very dismayed about the speed lockout feature on the navigation unit, particularly that I cannot override it if I so choose. I just purchased a 2012 ES 350 with navigation and discovering this is tainting my enchantment with my new purchase. What good is a navigation system / audio / phone control center if you can't use it while driving? Why should Lexus be deciding if and how I'm going to be distracted anymore so than if I'm distracted by pushing any other button or pulling down the sun visor? Even if such features are distracting for a driver, a front passenger should be able to use it, but can't. I can't use my phone book while moving. I can't choose songs from folders while moving. Someone has got to change this, or Lexus is going to lose customers and potential buyers. It is not your job to police distracting driving through such restrictions any more than it would be to require a breath test to start the car to prevent against drunk driving. Please fix this.

Let pull together and change this stupid problem!
Old 04-24-12, 06:34 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Pretty interesting as I just rented a new Toyota from Hertz this past week end and it had their hertz nav system. It had a feature that if you had a passenger they could have full usage of the system while driving. Once we figured out how to use it both the driver or passenger could program in the location while driving. It was distracting but I let my wife enter the info. I assume Toyota is fearing a liability suit if it let the driver operate the system while driving. I doubt they will change.
Old 04-25-12, 03:58 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are just so many people that are able to multitask. Look at the people that still try to hold onto their cell phone and or texting while driving, distracted to the point they are in the wrong lane when trying to turn, incorrect speed etc. Throw in the same person fiddling with their navigation too and it turns into an accident waiting to happen. Felt exactly as lipappy too but real world driving experience showed me most drivers can't multitask to that extent.
Old 04-25-12, 04:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No way a petition will work.
Honda and probably Acura just went to the NAV lock in their '12's.
The wife's '11 CR-V doesn't have the lock and is a pleasure to use but I've read the '12's have the NAV lock.
I believe BMW and Benz still have on the fly inputs.
Old 04-25-12, 05:04 AM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Two things... if you can't multitask, don't use the system. Or, ask your passenger to do it. There are a million things that can distract a driver. It shouldn't mean that those options should be restricted by the car maker. It's up to the driver to maintain control of the vehicle. If I chose to bring a Sony portable TV into the car with me, sit it on the front passenger seat and watch TV while I'm driving, then get in an accident, would it be Sony's fault for making a portable TV?

Two, if Lexus is worried about lawsuits, I have a solution for that. They should create a waiver by which anyone who wants the override capability can send in a waiver to Lexus Headquarters on which you sign that you won't sue Lexus for anything related to distracted driving. They keep in on-file and mail you the override procedure. Done and done.
Old 04-25-12, 05:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lipappy
Two things... if you can't multitask, don't use the system. Or, ask your passenger to do it. There are a million things that can distract a driver. It shouldn't mean that those options should be restricted by the car maker. It's up to the driver to maintain control of the vehicle. If I chose to bring a Sony portable TV into the car with me, sit it on the front passenger seat and watch TV while I'm driving, then get in an accident, would it be Sony's fault for making a portable TV?

Two, if Lexus is worried about lawsuits, I have a solution for that. They should create a waiver by which anyone who wants the override capability can send in a waiver to Lexus Headquarters on which you sign that you won't sue Lexus for anything related to distracted driving. They keep in on-file and mail you the override procedure. Done and done.
Toyota had the waiver on the first screen a few years ago just like my wife's '11 CR-V.Just place your finger on the tab and you go into the NAV screen and on the fly inputs.
No way on the fly inputs are coming back soon if at all.
That ship has sailed..

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-25-12 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 07:23 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people THINK they can multitask until they have an accident. Hey, I'm with you, I can work the navigation while driving on the interstate or highway as I do this with my Tom Tom in my '11 Impala. But in the suburbs or city with traffic, I pull over to focus on the inputs.
Old 04-25-12, 12:16 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Just drove a new Jag XJ today and they have the same lockout safety feature.
Old 04-25-12, 12:31 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just drove a new Jag XJ today and they have the same lockout safety feature.
Looks like all brands will have the lock out soon.

Fed Proposes Limits on Car Navigation

February 17, 2012 by Amy Gilroy

The Fed proposed Thursday that auto makers produce connected car radios that require the car is in park before drivers may look up an address on a navigation system, browse the Internet or dial a phone number.

DOT on Distracted DrivingAn exception is voice activated use of any of the above functions, which would not require the car be in park.

A second set of guidelines on aftermarket car products will follow, said the Department of Transportation.

The edict is the first-ever “federally proposed guidelines to encourage automobile manufacturers to limit the distraction risk for in-vehicle electronic devices,” said the agency.

These are voluntary guidelines, but the agency expects that auto makers will fully comply, and in fact, many car makers already follow the guidelines.

The aftermarket is not excluded from the DOT’s radar. A second phase of guidelines will affect aftermarket products such as portable navigation systems as well as “smart phones, electronic tablets and pads, and other mobile communications devices,” said the DOT.

A third set of guidelines may address voice-activated controls to further minimize distraction in factory-installed, aftermarket, and portable devices, said the agency.

As for phase one of the guidelines for auto makers, public comments are invited over the next 60 days and public hearings will be held in March in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington D.C

The phase one guidelines apply specifically to any infotainment/navigation functions “that are not required to safely operate the vehicle.”

“We recognize that vehicle manufacturers want to build vehicles that include the tools and conveniences expected by today’s American drivers,” said David Strickland, Administrator for NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), the arm of the DOT responsible for the guidelines. “The guidelines we’re proposing would offer real-world guidance to automakers to help them develop electronic devices that provide features consumers want-without disrupting a driver’s attention or sacrificing safety.”

He also noted that data shows that “the vast majority of crashes occur because of dangerous behavior, including driving drunk, driving while distracted, and driving too fast.”

http://ceoutlook.com/2012/02/17/fed-...ar-navigation/
Old 04-25-12, 03:20 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Joeb427, thanks for the info. I missed the public comment window by one day I don't deny that distracted driving is a problem and is unsafe. I was more angry about this until I realized through your post that this is not a Lexus decision - it is coming from the government. I still believe that it is over-reach for the government and car makers to impose these restrictions, because liability is and should be with the driver. It also doesn't address how/why passengers are restricted from using the devices.

Since there's already a weight sensor in the front passenger seat for the airbag, why can't this be linked to the lockout - therefore allowing passengers to use the console?

Also, should I sue Lexus for still installing an ashtray in the center console if I drop my cherry while driving and have an accident trying to keep my rear side from catching fire? I don't smoke in a car, but I would think this would be a lot more distracting.
Old 04-25-12, 03:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Joeb427, thanks for the info. I missed the public comment window by one day I don't deny that distracted driving is a problem and is unsafe. I was more angry about this until I realized through your post that this is not a Lexus decision - it is coming from the government. I still believe that it is over-reach for the government and car makers to impose these restrictions, because liability is and should be with the driver. It also doesn't address how/why passengers are restricted from using the devices.

Since there's already a weight sensor in the front passenger seat for the airbag, why can't this be linked to the lockout - therefore allowing passengers to use the console?

Also, should I sue Lexus for still installing an ashtray in the center console if I drop my cherry while driving and have an accident trying to keep my rear side from catching fire? I don't smoke in a car, but I would think this would be a lot more distracting.
I agree with the passenger on the fly input.
However you know some drivers would put something heavy on the seat and do the inputs.
I would.
Old 04-26-12, 03:48 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
There are just so many people that are able to multitask. Look at the people that still try to hold onto their cell phone and or texting while driving, distracted to the point they are in the wrong lane when trying to turn, incorrect speed etc. Throw in the same person fiddling with their navigation too and it turns into an accident waiting to happen. Felt exactly as lipappy too but real world driving experience showed me most drivers can't multitask to that extent.
Totally on target. All we need is a few more fools out there not watching where they are going and putting others in danger while playing with their toys. Pull over to the side of the road, turn your hazard lights on and then do your playing. Shame on the manufacturers for trying to make them as safe as possible! I cannot think of one reason that would keep me from pulling over if I needed to use it that bad. Just venting about all the fools that have that "entitlement" attitude while on the road.
Old 04-26-12, 04:01 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still believe that it is over-reach for the government and car makers to impose these restrictions, because liability is and should be with the driver. It also doesn't address how/why passengers are restricted from using the devices.
It is definitely an overreach. Where does the federal government get this power to restrict or require features in a car.

The government doesn't require traction control but BMW puts it on all models and I chose the option on my ES 350. Why? Not because of some government bureaucrat but because of hard data collected by BMW. After they made traction control standard, roll-over crashes decreased by a significant amount (45% or something like that).