ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

suspension upgrade ES

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 07:39 PM
eshigh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrade ES

Hello all, I have recently purchased a 2008 ES and would like to upgrade the suspension.

I feel that there is too much body roll, brake dive, and understeer. Steering is a little slow too but could live with it. Do not want to get low profile tires/larger rims due to bad roads. (which was the primary reason that I didn't buy the IS - which comes with low profile tires) Do not want to lower the car too much, at most 1 inch drop, 0.5inch would be sufficient.

So....is there a kit that does just that? Did anyone replace their cars with Camry SE springs, or dampers? are there koni adjustables shocks out there for our car? Bilstein dampers?

advice is much appreciated!
Old 04-11-12, 10:45 PM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eshigh
Hello all, I have recently purchased a 2008 ES and would like to upgrade the suspension.

I feel that there is too much body roll, brake dive, and understeer. Steering is a little slow too but could live with it. Do not want to get low profile tires/larger rims due to bad roads. (which was the primary reason that I didn't buy the IS - which comes with low profile tires) Do not want to lower the car too much, at most 1 inch drop, 0.5inch would be sufficient.

So....is there a kit that does just that? Did anyone replace their cars with Camry SE springs, or dampers? are there koni adjustables shocks out there for our car? Bilstein dampers?

advice is much appreciated!
Megan coil overs for Camry 2007-10 done. Anything for the Camry fits
Old 04-13-12, 04:15 AM
eshigh
Driver School Candidate

Seems like a pretty good option, although a little pricey and appears to be more aggressive than what I was looking for.......how is the ride quality..
any other options people are using for ES350?
Old 04-13-12, 10:26 AM
hpowders
Driver School Candidate

Why buy a car that you know has too much body roll, brake dive and understeer for you, the driver? There are other choices. Just askin'.
Old 04-13-12, 03:30 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
Why buy a car that you know has too much body roll, brake dive and understeer for you, the driver? There are other choices. Just askin'.

I'm with you as it doesn't make sense to buy a soft cushy car and then want to make it an IS.
Old 04-13-12, 04:00 PM
hpowders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'm with you as it doesn't make sense to buy a soft cushy car and then want to make it an IS.
Exactly! He should have bought an IS, BMW 328i, or Infiniti G. Plenty of them available as CPO's. He is not the target driver Lexus is after for the ES.
Old 04-13-12, 04:07 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, don't attack the OP. He bought it for his own reasons, much like how I refuse to drive an IS loaner while preferring the ES for better build quality and room.

To the OP, if you're looking for a quick fix for the body roll, get the coilovers. They're bound to last longer than adding lowering springs on your OEM shocks. You can adjust them to whatever height you want and adjust the dampening if you wish. I found on my Camry that 6kg Front and 4kg Rear were ideal spring rates to mimic my stock suspension when it was brand new. I ran it 7/32 clicks for the dampening to drive at the height you see in my signature. This was on BC Racing coilovers, which IMO are better than the Megan offering
Old 04-13-12, 05:45 PM
eshigh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Guys, don't attack the OP. He bought it for his own reasons, much like how I refuse to drive an IS loaner while preferring the ES for better build quality and room.

To the OP, if you're looking for a quick fix for the body roll, get the coilovers. They're bound to last longer than adding lowering springs on your OEM shocks. You can adjust them to whatever height you want and adjust the dampening if you wish. I found on my Camry that 6kg Front and 4kg Rear were ideal spring rates to mimic my stock suspension when it was brand new. I ran it 7/32 clicks for the dampening to drive at the height you see in my signature. This was on BC Racing coilovers, which IMO are better than the Megan offering
thanks. I had good results with another car with just factory lowering springs so I was just asking. Perhaps it is worth another look on the coilovers. How much did it cost you installed..?

To other posters, the ES has many attributes that I like over other cars; I felt the IS was too small inside, with low profile tires that I didn't like, and rear wheel drive that doesn't work in the winter (AWD was too slow on IS250). Don't like BMWs in general due to long term reliability issues and maintenance cost. The G was thirty, rear wheel drive and smaller interior. The ES has good interior, good power, and reasonable fuel economy. I feel the handling could be corrected inexpensively.
Old 04-13-12, 07:55 PM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I got my Es because it was different I wanted to be like no other Lexus driver. Everyone and their mother has an is with same parts in 20 different colors and similar builds. I have an es350 slammed on 22 inch 3 piece wheels rolling different and no I'm about to VIP it. 20x9 20 x 10.5 guaranteed to be shows stopper just because it's different. So, to each his own if you are not into moddified es350's move in and post with the rest of the geezers! Imo
Old 04-13-12, 09:33 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had friend pricing when I got them installed. Cost me $100 to do it
Old 04-14-12, 05:49 AM
eshigh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I had friend pricing when I got them installed. Cost me $100 to do it
Friendly pricing indeed!