ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Pre-Collision, and Adaptive Cruise options

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 01:23 PM
lexusinffx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Collision, and Adaptive Cruise options

I recently joined CL forums after i bought a 2007 ES350 with the Ultra luxury package (Tungsten Pearl with Black interior) 70k for $19000.

The information in these forums has been very helpful in providing valuable info about the car. One thing I still havent been able to figure out is whether my lexus has the Pre-collision and Adaptive Cruise options or not, and how to use them. Also, have other people in the forums really used it on long drives and feel it is a life-saver?

I have taken possession the car but the private seller, that I bought it from, has misplaced the user's manual and will be sending it as soon as he finds it.

Thanks
Old 03-22-12, 01:58 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusinffx
I recently joined CL forums after i bought a 2007 ES350 with the Ultra luxury package (Tungsten Pearl with Black interior) 70k for $19000.

The information in these forums has been very helpful in providing valuable info about the car. One thing I still havent been able to figure out is whether my lexus has the Pre-collision and Adaptive Cruise options or not, and how to use them. Also, have other people in the forums really used it on long drives and feel it is a life-saver?

I have taken possession the car but the private seller, that I bought it from, has misplaced the user's manual and will be sending it as soon as he finds it.

Thanks
I know that if you have the adaptive cruise control, there is an extra button on the right side of the steering wheel that is mounted near the regular cruise control stalk (I think).

Here - found it:

While looking all over for my ES350s, I've NEVER seen one optioned with this stuff. I believe it's very rare.
Old 03-22-12, 03:04 PM
dman00001
Rookie

I have the same car and about the same mileage. It does not have precollision or adaptive cruise. It does have park assist which is what the sensors are for in the front and rear bumper. It is activated on the left bottom controls.
Old 03-22-12, 07:30 PM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre Collision

I read somewhere that this was not offered in the US, just in Japan, I do not know how true this is, but when I was looking for ES, I never came across a car that had this.
Old 03-23-12, 05:26 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

If you have it then you would have the button as shown. It is simple to use but IMHO it is a pain. After you set the CC then hit the button and it will modulate the CC to keep you at a safe distance from the car in front of you. In heavy traffic you will get this slow up and speed up feeling.
Old 03-23-12, 05:36 AM
lexusinffx
Driver School Candidate

Thanx madmax96 for the picture, I dont remember seeing that button in the car, but will have to recheck. Going off-topic but one thing that bugs me is the peeling of paint from steering wheel controls. This seems to be a wide-spread problem in the 2007 and nobody has an answer to what you should do. I thought about buying a used steering wheel from the yard and replacing it myself, but that seems like a lot of effort. I think i'll use a spray rubber paint like plasti dip. Sorry for going off-topic. Venting out.
Old 03-23-12, 09:53 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusinffx
Thanx madmax96 for the picture, I dont remember seeing that button in the car, but will have to recheck. Going off-topic but one thing that bugs me is the peeling of paint from steering wheel controls. This seems to be a wide-spread problem in the 2007 and nobody has an answer to what you should do. I thought about buying a used steering wheel from the yard and replacing it myself, but that seems like a lot of effort. I think i'll use a spray rubber paint like plasti dip. Sorry for going off-topic. Venting out.
The peeling on the controls is a pretty pathetic design - both my 2007 and 2008 seem ok though.

Most used steering wheels I've seen don't have the controls - so just a heads up on that.

The question on everyone's mind is if the updated controls on the 2010+ models would fit and plug in ok on the 07-09 cars.

I really like the nicer buttons on the 2010 loaner I had one time.
Old 03-23-12, 10:27 AM
plumpjack
Driver School Candidate

I have recently been told the same thing about the 2012 ES350. It's listed as an option but is a special order item as no cars configured with Pre-Collision and Adaptive Cruise are shipped here.
Old 04-07-12, 07:09 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by plumpjack
but is a special order item as no cars configured with Pre-Collision and Adaptive Cruise are shipped here.
It is so moronic of lexus to limit radar cruise to special orders. Audi, bmw mercedes and infiniti all have cars sitting on the lot with radar cruise -- but not for long as people buy them. everyone who has radar cruise loves it. Stupid stupid decision by lexus to make it hard to buy radar cruise and have to wait for it.
Old 04-08-12, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
It is so moronic of lexus to limit radar cruise to special orders. Audi, bmw mercedes and infiniti all have cars sitting on the lot with radar cruise -- but not for long as people buy them. everyone who has radar cruise loves it. Stupid stupid decision by lexus to make it hard to buy radar cruise and have to wait for it.
It's a wonder they sell any cars at all.
Old 04-08-12, 11:19 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's a wonder they sell any cars at all.
Indeed:

BMW Beats Mercedes to Take Lexus’s U.S. Top-Selling Luxury Title

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...cle-sales.html
Old 04-08-12, 11:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Indeed:

BMW Beats Mercedes to Take Lexus’s U.S. Top-Selling Luxury Title

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...cle-sales.html

The reason Lexus sales dropped is because many models have a 6 year old design.
Also the natural disasters in Japan.
Old 04-08-12, 11:46 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

precollision is an expensive option which is why they dont just have it sitting on the lots. I had to special order mine with precollision and while I dont take a lot of long road trips, I thought it would be cool to have.

It would be even better if it came to a complete stop. the adaptive CC gets fooled easily like when going along a curve, it will think a car in the other lane is in your lane. Also I have always hated cruise controls where when you adjust to increase the speed, it feels like you are flooring it, and the adaptive cruise is no different.
Old 04-08-12, 12:03 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

If Lexus made it a more common option the cost per car would come down. If sunroofs were only available as a special order, they would cost a fortune too. But since they're in all of them, the cost per car is a lot less. For whatever reason the big cheese's at Lexus have decided PCS/radar cruise is an option Americans either don't want or don't want it enough to pay for it.
Old 04-09-12, 03:52 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in 2007, there was a picture posted on this website of a Dubai Lexus dealership that showed a line of ES350 in their inventory. All were Ultra versions and that was when Ultra's were a scarce commodity in the USA. Maybe its the same thing for the PCS/radar cruise option, deemed not for North America consumption.