ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Should Lexus Dealership do body repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 06:25 AM
lovinmylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should Lexus Dealership do body repairs?

Someone ran into the back of my 2007 Lexus ES 350 and i'm trying to decide whether I should take it to my local Lexus Dealership collision center to get the repairs or if its okay to go to a regular body shop. The damage is to the back right bumper/light and some of the side paneling. I just bought this car less than a month ago and i'm concerned about getting the proper repairs to the car. The other guys insurance will have to pay, but I want to make sure the repairs are done properly. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-09-12, 06:34 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your Lexus dealer probably outsources its collision repairs. I know mine does.
Old 02-09-12, 06:46 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2007 was in an accident several years ago. I asked my Lexus dealer who they used for repairs. Since I trusted them, I went to that body shop. They did a great job. I was very pleased.
Old 02-09-12, 06:50 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Body shops are NOT created equal. Some do outstanding work, others do awful work. It really makes no difference if they are associated with a branded dealer or not. While we may have higher expectations of our Lexus dealers, their body shops may not do the best work. Many dealers outsource their body work to independent shops--sometimes more than one. That's a real risk.

Before deciding where to take your car, be sure to ask to see examples of their work. It would be good if you can actually see some cars that have had their rear bumpers fixed so you can assess the panel fit, color match, etc. You absolutely MUST look at actual cars, NOT photographs.

You can also check with your local Better Business Bureau to see if there are any records of complaints on a specific body shop. Also ask your insurance agent who he/she has had the best results with. Ask your neighbors & friends too, as personal experiences are the best references.

IMHO, using the dealer could be a crap shoot--but maybe not. But then, if you don't do your homework, ANY body shop will be a crap shoot. Good luck!!!
Old 02-09-12, 06:57 AM
lovinmylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitly nervous taking it anywhere, lexus dealership or not. The lexus dealership in my area does not outsource the repairs, they actually have a collision center at the dealership. I just want to make sure that the car doesn't come out with a different color bumper or something like that.

I haven't been able to find any reviews for the lexus collision center which makes me very skeptical of them as well. I think i'll take your advise and check the Beter Business Bureau and see that I find on there.
Old 02-09-12, 07:58 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Virginia are you located? I'm in Northern Virginia and I have some experience / references for a few body shops.
Old 02-09-12, 08:23 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I too would go with the Lexus Dealer's collision center unless you have experience with an independent shop that does a lot of Lexus repairs. It is fairly safe to assume that the dealers shop will follow the right procedures and do the job correctly. I would at least walk around the shop and see what there work looks like. I walked through dealer"s collision center just recently to get an idea of their work and was quite impressed with both the shop and their work. They may not have been too excited about me walking around but I just carried a folder with me like I was an adjuster or something and no one minded a bit.

Dave Mac
Old 02-09-12, 10:13 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Lexus would go to the Lexus collision shop if they have one. If any problems, Lexus corporate can get involved if need be.
Old 02-09-12, 10:36 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
My Lexus would go to the Lexus collision shop if they have one. If any problems, Lexus corporate can get involved if need be.
That's right. Lexus has more of an incentive to keep you as a customer than a third-party body shop does as you're more likely to be a repeat customer. Plus, you don't have finger pointing and the hassle of dealing with the contractor (Lexus) and the sub-contractor (the body shop) if things go wrong.
Old 02-09-12, 11:34 AM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The local guy here used to use the local Mercedes/BMW/Bentley/RR dealer's body shop. These guys were good!!! I took over other work and was happy to pay their hourly rate.
Old 02-11-12, 09:37 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Lexus dealer certified?
Makes a big difference.
http://lccc-online.com/owners/collision_centers.php