ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES 350 Waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 11:48 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by n4khan
Hi: My car was making some noise when the heat was on. its not a loud noise, sounds more like a humidifier. i took it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and after an hour of investigation, he thinks its the water pump. my car is 2007, has 91,400 KMs on it. i just bought it last june from a used car dealer (again, non-Lexus).

the pump itself is not expensive as you probably know already. what kills it, is the labor charge. my mechanic is under the impression that it will be a 20+ hours job to replace the pump, and will cost somewhere around $2000-$2800.
I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to hear from individuals who went through the same (pain!) and can provide some much needed advice.

Thanks in Advance.
your water pump is running whether your heat is on or not. If it were making noise, it'd be making noise all the time. Are you sure it's not the blower motor? That's a much more common failure. 91.4km is only 60ish thousand miles, it's not really due for a water pump service yet...
Old 10-08-12, 01:31 PM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let rick at http://www.aussieauto.ca/ checkt it.

Hi: My car was making some noise when the heat was on. its not a loud noise, sounds more like a humidifier. i took it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and after an hour of investigation, he thinks its the water pump. my car is 2007, has 91,400 KMs on it. i just bought it last june from a used car dealer (again, non-Lexus).

the pump itself is not expensive as you probably know already. what kills it, is the labor charge. my mechanic is under the impression that it will be a 20+ hours job to replace the pump, and will cost somewhere around $2000-$2800.
I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to hear from individuals who went through the same (pain!) and can provide some much needed advice.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-14-12, 04:24 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just surfing a Lexus dealership's website (Prestige who is nearest where I live) and they have a special on the timing belt and water pump replacement. I know the es350 has a timing chain so that is irrelevant, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the cost with or without the special that included replacing the water pump.

http://www.prestigelexus.com/Service-Specials

This gives you an idea how much it should cost around NJ. I would think the water pump replacement alone should be less than 1k and certainly NOT 2k like the OP was told. Talk about almost being ripped off. I wonder if this is the same dealership b/c that would be funny ironic as heck!

Oh yeah, I would also just pay the 250 and move on with my life even though I did notice the OP hasn't posted since his first post so he might not see this. But I hope others in and around NJ can use this info so they don't end up paying $2000 for a WP job.

Last edited by cl206; 10-14-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 07:20 PM
kws6000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks in Advance.
You need to take your car to someone who knows what they're doing .Ive checked with two local toyota dealers,here in Calgary ,and was quoted 4.2 hrs at one dealer,and 5.0 hrs at the second.

Car is 2007 es350....73000km ....3mos out of warranty.
Old 12-06-12, 06:56 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Water pump replaced 07 ES350

I noticed red fluid back in 2011....our 07 CPO. Thought at first Brake Fluid but dealership said could be something else......... Yep, the water pump. Thank goodness under the extended warranty back then. We had roughly 60K miles on car at the time.
Old 12-13-12, 03:59 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm so glad I found this post. I think it explains the problem I am having with my heater. The TSB for the water pump is awesome. Thanks guys!
Old 04-01-13, 07:57 PM
MaureenC
Driver School Candidate

I was just quote $735 to replace the water pump on my 2007 EAs350 with 102,000 miles. The mechanic said they usually need to be replaced at 60,000 miles.
Old 04-02-13, 06:03 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Water pump that needs usually needs replacing at 60,000 miles is nuts. The mechanic means that this component lasts about as ;long as a good set of Michelins or brake pads. WOW.
Old 04-02-13, 06:43 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

water pump normally is done at 90k with a timing belt service. However, it usually doesn't need to even be done then, it's just much more convenient with the whole front end of the motor torn down.

If the water pump is not leaking, the gasket is fine. If it isn't making noise all the time, but only when the heat is on, IT ISN'T THE WATER PUMP!

I would suggest you look at the blower motor before you go tearing apart your engine to replace a water pump for no good reason.
Old 04-08-13, 11:06 AM
kws6000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kws6000
You need to take your car to someone who knows what they're doing .Ive checked with two local toyota dealers,here in Calgary ,and was quoted 4.2 hrs at one dealer,and 5.0 hrs at the second.

Car is 2007 es350....73000km ....3mos out of warranty.
Update: Talked to Lexus Canada about goodwill repair....Their response was go F==k yourself.

Local Lexus dealer wanted 10 hrs labour.....Guess who will never see the car again.

Cant say that we have any plans on getting another Lexus. My experience with after warranty goodwill with the domestics was much better.
Old 04-08-13, 01:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Update: Talked to Lexus Canada about goodwill repair....Their response was go F==k yourself.

Local Lexus dealer wanted 10 hrs labour.....Guess who will never see the car again.

Cant say that we have any plans on getting another Lexus. My experience with after warranty goodwill with the domestics was much better.
I can understand your disappointment, but goodwill repairs after warranty are a crapshoot at best. You might try and indy shop or a Toyota dealership. Both would cost less than a Lexus dealeship.
Old 04-09-13, 09:59 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

The warranty is a contract...it states we'll fix whatever goes wrong during this time period up to this many miles. YOU SIGNED that contract when you bought the car. Now you think they're being unreasonable for not jumping at the chance to do something for you for free?

I understand you may be frustrated with having to fix the car, but that is what extended warranties and service contracts are for. Cars break. Warranties are purchased as insurance against such breakage, to push some of the risk off of yourself and onto the warranty company. You didn't elect to do this, as such the risk fell on you, and now you have a breakage to take care of.

Lexus doesn't owe you anything...would you say the same thing if Apple didn't fix your iphone for free after the warranty expired? Or if you take a shirt home and rip it, do you expect a free one in exchange?
Old 04-09-13, 05:29 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_350
water pump normally is done at 90k with a timing belt service. However, it usually doesn't need to even be done then, it's just much more convenient with the whole front end of the motor torn down.

If the water pump is not leaking, the gasket is fine. If it isn't making noise all the time, but only when the heat is on, IT ISN'T THE WATER PUMP!

I would suggest you look at the blower motor before you go tearing apart your engine to replace a water pump for no good reason.

a month and half back i asked the dealer what the price was going to run me to do the timing belt or chain not knowing what was in the car or not knowing that i thought it was supposed to be a 90 or 100k service
the service adviser looked it up and said you car doesn't call for a Timing belt service at any specific time

he then checked with the tech to make sure and they both agreed no specific time not like other lexus
but the ES350 is a Direct Inject and does not need to be changed at 90 or 100k like others
Old 04-09-13, 05:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
a month and half back i asked the dealer what the price was going to run me to do the timing belt or chain not knowing what was in the car or not knowing that i thought it was supposed to be a 90 or 100k service
the service adviser looked it up and said you car doesn't call for a Timing belt service at any specific time

he then checked with the tech to make sure and they both agreed no specific time not like other lexus
but the ES350 is a Direct Inject and does not need to be changed at 90 or 100k like others
Yes, the 3.5 V6 (2007+) engine has a timing chain so no belt service is needed.

Also, the ES350 doesn't have direct injection. That is reserved for the 3.5 in the IS and GS.
Old 04-10-13, 06:14 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, the 3.5 V6 (2007+) engine has a timing chain so no belt service is needed.

Also, the ES350 doesn't have direct injection. That is reserved for the 3.5 in the IS and GS.
ah ok cool thank you
i wasn't even sure what direct inject was untilli looked it up then i looked it up and was like cool ok now ill get that out of my head lol

i think the RX has a Timing chain also then cause they told me the RX was the same set up engine wise as the ES350 for no belt service

Quick Reply: 2007 ES 350 Waterpump