ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Illuminated Door Sills for ES?

Old 10-14-14, 09:11 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate you guys! (Cartman from Southpark)
Definitely on my "wish list."
Old 10-14-14, 01:21 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah... I pulled the trigger this morning and bought one off eBay. If you like it, get it sooner rather than later. You never know when they will stop manufacturing them for ES', since it's a pretty small market of people that actually mod their ES'

Last edited by GCL; 10-26-14 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 01:40 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my rear sills broke, the piece between the "e" and "x" has popped out and gone missing. Just thought I would post so you can keep your eye on it and hopefully doesn't happen to yours.
Old 10-22-14, 05:43 AM
GCL
Driver

Thanks for the information re: missing/broken piece.

My sills came in yesterday. WOW. It only took 7 days coming from China. That is a record.

The sills look and function great. I haven't installed them yet. I am going to see if I can change the color to white (or yellow to match my parchment interior) instead of blue. It looks easy to get access to the LED module. Some pictures online show that the LED may be sealed inside - we'll see.

Question: The pair of rear sills are mirror reflections of each other, which is good. But the front sills look identical and are not mirror reflections of each other.

Is that what you guys found? When installed, I think the LEXUS logo will be centered differently (left vs. right). I don't think that it will be noticeable. I am just curious if I was sent incorrect (L/R) front sills.
Old 10-24-14, 06:42 PM
KCFAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember there being a label saying left and right, I just matched them to the oem one.
Old 10-26-14, 03:18 PM
GCL
Driver

Thanks. I trialed-fitted the door sills today. It looks pretty good and the fit is definitely OEM-like. (which is always a priority for me).

I do have an issue with the blue colored light, though. I will definite change it to either white or soft-white to better match my parchment interior.

The light panel is sealed and looks to be really hard to open up and modify. I think the light panel uses some sort of fibre optics or other electroluminescence technology.

I shined a LED flashlight behind the panel and the white light did show through. So, I'm going to install a COB LED light panel behind it and have it light up the door sill that way, And, likely add a resistor to reduce the brightness.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...504962640.html
Old 01-04-15, 01:50 PM
GCL
Driver

I installed the door sills this weekend. I did end up modifying the sills to white lights, rather than the original blue. I just attached the white cob lights to be back of the existing light panel, after dremelling the housing to fit.

It looks great in white light, against the tan interior.

Originally Posted by GCL
Thanks. I trialed-fitted the door sills today. It looks pretty good and the fit is definitely OEM-like. (which is always a priority for me).

I do have an issue with the blue colored light, though. I will definite change it to either white or soft-white to better match my parchment interior.

The light panel is sealed and looks to be really hard to open up and modify. I think the light panel uses some sort of fibre optics or other electroluminescence technology.

I shined a LED flashlight behind the panel and the white light did show through. So, I'm going to install a COB LED light panel behind it and have it light up the door sill that way, And, likely add a resistor to reduce the brightness.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...504962640.html
Old 01-04-15, 04:33 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

That looks horny.
On my to do list already.
Old 01-08-15, 11:15 AM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFAN
The glow is not too bright and does not over power the ambient light in the vehicle. I found the illimunated sills on eBay for about 60 dollars. They really do take the car to another level.
NICE!!! That GOBO is sick too! Did you do it yourself as well?
Old 02-05-15, 11:12 AM
Lexology
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GCL
I installed the door sills this weekend. I did end up modifying the sills to white lights, rather than the original blue. I just attached the white cob lights to be back of the existing light panel, after dremelling the housing to fit.

It looks great in white light, against the tan interior.

Was the wiring the same and was the mod fairly simple to get COB LED panel to fit?
Old 02-05-15, 01:15 PM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexology
Was the wiring the same and was the mod fairly simple to get COB LED panel to fit?

Each of the COB panels have red and black leads and run on 12 volts input - the same as the Illuminated door sills. I just used the provided wiring that was included with the Illuminated door sill kit. (matching color to color). The included wiring even had a fuse, so that's good.

I wired to the factory loom on the "passenger side" rather than the driver side because the twisting of the harness on the driver side made it too tough for me to tap. The passenger side gave me more slack. Just search for which wire to tap (iir it's the red and blue wires?). To get the wiring from one side to the other, I removed the rear seat bottom. It just pops up and out.

To install the COB underneath the existing panel. At first, I just placed it underneath but that distorted the stainless steel sill plate. It was too thick. So, I cut out the bottom of the plastic housing with an exacto knife and that gave me enough clearance without distorting the steel plate after installation. I used a hot glue gun (high temp glue) to secure the COB.

I did coat the bottom of the COB with Plasti-dip, but it's not really necessary because the COB panel is advertised as being waterproof (take it for what it's worth)

The COB's metal trim piece just lifts off.

I'm very happy with the installation. Had it for a few months. No problems. Lots of compliments.

Note that someone else on the net (sorry I can't find the link) said that the illuminated door sill's original light panel is lit by a single LED at the end. The LED shines onto the fiber optics to light up the whole panel. They dremelled out the LED and replaced it will another color LED. That may be an option. I just couldn't see the LED and did it my way.

Last edited by GCL; 02-05-15 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 01:31 PM
GCL
Driver

The size of the COB panel that I'd used was:

145mm x 17mm x 5mm / 5.7 x 0.7 x 0.2inch
Old 02-05-15, 07:59 PM
Lexology
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GCL
The size of the COB panel that I'd used was:

145mm x 17mm x 5mm / 5.7 x 0.7 x 0.2inch
Thanks GCL, This info is very helpful so I will order them tonight. Your car looks great.
Old 02-06-15, 07:01 AM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexology
Thanks GCL, This info is very helpful so I will order them tonight. Your car looks great.
Thanks,

One more thing. There are 2 red wires in the wiring harness within the door pillar. I tapped into the red one directly opposite the blue one. (pins 15 and pin 20)