ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

LEASE Maintenance Requirements - at end of lease

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 02:40 PM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEASE Maintenance Requirements - at end of lease

I am here a the Stevens Creek Lexus near the San Jose airport.

I am having my 15,000 mile service done.

My Lexus service guy informs me that he doesn't know what the minimum requirements are in terms of keeping the lease agreement. All he said was that the oil change was required. That none of the inspections were really required.

The only important ones are safety related, like the tires.

For example, I have heard that at the end of the lease when you turn in your car, the tires have to have a minimum tread depth and all 5 tires have to match. My lease will end at 45,000 miles. Since I will almost certainly have to buy new tires by then, it really doesn't matter if I rotate my tires or not as the recommended maintenance states. Instead of rotating the tires every 5k miles why not just rotate them every 10k miles for safety reasons?

So what I am guessing is that when you turn in the car only the oil changes are required at 5k miles. That all tires, brake parts, belts and hoses and other parts that wear have to be in passable condition. The 30k maintenance is the only big one before the 45k miles at the end of the lease, but I don't know if anything beyond the oil change is really needed then either.

What was your experience like in terms of maintenance when you turned in a your car at the end of the lease?
Old 08-13-11, 02:52 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I've never had anyone even mention or indicate that they would be checking the service history on a lease return. I follow the 5K oil change recomendation and replace my filters early at about mid point in my lease but never do the 15K or 30K services even if I own the car. And it is usually clear that the tires are not going to last thru the lease so sometime after the mid point I also get new tires. I usually buy three OEM tires and use my spare so I end up with a matched set of five. I also keep at least two of the tires I take off in case I damage a tire towards the end of the lease.

Dave Mac
Old 08-13-11, 03:24 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Change the oil every 5k, rotate tires every 5k, change the engine air filter halfway during lease, turn lease in at 36 months get a new car It's that simple

I reread your post, 45k maybe 2 engine airfilters, keep an eye on tire wear, put new tires on at 22k, break pads should be fine as well as everything else, this is a new Toyota/Lexus not some 1980's GM product.

These cars require preventative maintenance, since your leasing you can relax, 45k is not gonna break or stress anything, my buddies V6 Camry which has the same powertrain is pushing 60k, and he has done nothing to it and owns the car, belts, hoses, should all be fine, just change the oil at 5k, watch your tires, the stock one wear irregularly crappy, at least on my fathers 07 ES, and hit up an Autoparts store and change the engine air filter at every 20k

Last edited by <VENOM>; 08-13-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-13-11, 03:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I've never had anyone even mention or indicate that they would be checking the service history on a lease return. I follow the 5K oil change recomendation and replace my filters early at about mid point in my lease but never do the 15K or 30K services even if I own the car. And it is usually clear that the tires are not going to last thru the lease so sometime after the mid point I also get new tires. I usually buy three OEM tires and use my spare so I end up with a matched set of five. I also keep at least two of the tires I take off in case I damage a tire towards the end of the lease.

Dave Mac
Well said, and when the lease is returned, it's 99% a visual inspection