ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

iPhone integration

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 02:52 PM
willyritch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone integration

I've read a bunch of posts about iPhone/iPod integration--very helpful but I'm not convinced I really understand the options.

The mobile installer I like wants me to install a DICE unit, but I do like the looks of the SL2iC interface. I've got a few questions that I bet someone who actually has one of these installed can answer:

1. Does the SL2iC unit allow you to use the touch screen on the nav unit to navigate around the music in my iPhone just like I was actually using the phone?

2. Do I lost that functionality when the car is moving, unless I do one of the mods described in this forum?

3. Does the SL2iC allow you to access other functions of my iPhone form the Nav touchscreen (like mail, for example?)

4. Does the Vais unit offer a lot more functionality than the DICE?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to spend the money on one of these adapters. Since my car already has an aux input, I'm thinking of finding a way to mount an iPhone dock in a convenient spot and wiring it up to the aux input and 12vdc--and using the controls on the phone.

But I'd love some feedback.

Thanks for your help. I just became a Lexus owner a week ago and I did a lot of reading on this forum first.

2008 ES 350 w/nav
Old 11-30-10, 07:56 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the USB port in a new maxima and it controlled my iPhone from the navigation screen. We flipped through music, albums, ect. I liked it and then i didn't. What I didn't like is I wanted to use pandora and it only controls the iPod app so you still would have to plug into aux. I'm assuming the Lexus USB port would do the same thing with the attachment. I don't understand why we have to buy the attachment anyways!
Old 12-02-10, 09:30 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an older SL2.

1. Yes, the ipod Playlists appear as Folders, Tracks appear as Files. You can see all of the Playlists/Tracks on the ipod/iphone or the display and select by touch.

2. Yes, some functionality is lost when the car is moving, I've modded mine and it's been so long I don't remember what is greyed out when moving.

3. No, mine doesn't allow anything but music.

4. Not sure, I looked at the dice website and they appear to be similar.

I like having the music on the touch screen and it seems like it was worth it. Mine is 4 years old now and it won't keep an iphone or newer ipods charged but the music is all there. I usually use one of the older ipods for the car filled with music since it will keep it charged.

Hope this helps
Old 12-04-10, 07:59 AM
willyritch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks static---that was very helpful.