ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Get low, get low, get low!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 11:05 PM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get low, get low, get low!

Modifying an ES350 is all about trial and error. With a non-existent aftermarket, the helpful write-ups and info-laced forums are just as non-existent. One common mod is lowering and to no surprise, no company manufactures a spring kit specific to the ES350. I've seen some coilover setups fitted and seem to be successful and have even heard of an ES350 at a Lexus dealership in sometown USA fitted with a spring kit made for the same MY Camry. I believe it was the Eibach kit and was confirmed by the service manager at that dealership. Nevertheless, I can't put much confidence in this information I find because of it's sparseness but I do know the ES is essentially a Camry. I used to work for Toyota and know this for a fact.

Now I've modified cars from German to Japanese and have a clear understanding of different styles and applications. My focus was/is on rwd coupes. I recently had a baby and the misses wanted an ES. Fwd and 4 door rings untrue to my DNA but thats the hand that's been dealt and not having a slew of products to choose from actually fueled my interest in modifying the ES.*

I blacked the grille myself, had the tailights blacked, installed an 8 inch JL Audio sub and amp and installed HID kits for the head and fog lights. I even had 18" wheels (Sportmax XXR 502) 8.5" in front and 9.5" in the rear. Staggered on fwd feels weird. Anyway, I wanted to "get low", gain a more aggresive stance and run 20" wheels... staggered. I ordered the Tein S. Tech spring kit for the same MY Camry and G-Racing Tokyo wheels (8.5"F, 9.5"R).*The springs fit. I'll say it again, they fit and sits much more aggressive than I thought which isn't a bad thing. It's been 2 weeks since the springs and wheels have been mounted and I'm still tweaking the camber and toe in the rear. Fenders are rolled and I'm currently set at -2.7 degrees of camber in the rear but Still have some rubbing issues. It's a matter of mm with my clearance and I believe I will have it dialed in soon. Toe is pigeoned to achieve desired wear. These are nuances I can live with because I have the resources available to tweak the car. As long I maintain daily drivability, I'm satisfied with the mods.*

So now you've heard it loud and clear. An ES350 CAN be lowered using same MY Camry springs kits. Or shall I say, it can be lowered on Eibach and/or Tein springs. Anyone partial to another company which makes springs for the Camry, be a pioneer and install them on your ES. You probably won't be disappointed.
Old 10-19-10, 11:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another member beat you to this ages ago but what I'm interested is whether you lowered on the Teins that just came out for my Gen6-6.5 Camry or if you purchased the Solara 04-06 Tein springs. The Camry ones are 1.4in and 1.6in iirc and the Solara's are 2in all around. I had the Solara Teins for about 10,000 miles before getting BC Racing coils on my Camry.

In any case, post up pics. Its nice to see another person modify a car that not many consider modding to begin with
Old 10-20-10, 07:14 AM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Another member beat you to this ages ago but what I'm interested is whether you lowered on the Teins that just came out for my Gen6-6.5 Camry or if you purchased the Solara 04-06 Tein springs. The Camry ones are 1.4in and 1.6in iirc and the Solara's are 2in all around. I had the Solara Teins for about 10,000 miles before getting BC Racing coils on my Camry.

In any case, post up pics. Its nice to see another person modify a car that not many consider modding to begin with
I used the gen 6 Camry springs.
Old 10-20-10, 08:06 AM
wolzy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sozae
Modifying an ES350 is all about trial and error. With a non-existent aftermarket, the helpful write-ups and info-laced forums are just as non-existent. One common mod is lowering and to no surprise, no company manufactures a spring kit specific to the ES350. I've seen some coilover setups fitted and seem to be successful and have even heard of an ES350 at a Lexus dealership in sometown USA fitted with a spring kit made for the same MY Camry. I believe it was the Eibach kit and was confirmed by the service manager at that dealership. Nevertheless, I can't put much confidence in this information I find because of it's sparseness but I do know the ES is essentially a Camry. I used to work for Toyota and know this for a fact.

Now I've modified cars from German to Japanese and have a clear understanding of different styles and applications. My focus was/is on rwd coupes. I recently had a baby and the misses wanted an ES. Fwd and 4 door rings untrue to my DNA but thats the hand that's been dealt and not having a slew of products to choose from actually fueled my interest in modifying the ES.*

I blacked the grille myself, had the tailights blacked, installed an 8 inch JL Audio sub and amp and installed HID kits for the head and fog lights. I even had 18" wheels (Sportmax XXR 502) 8.5" in front and 9.5" in the rear. Staggered on fwd feels weird. Anyway, I wanted to "get low", gain a more aggresive stance and run 20" wheels... staggered. I ordered the Tein S. Tech spring kit for the same MY Camry and G-Racing Tokyo wheels (8.5"F, 9.5"R).*The springs fit. I'll say it again, they fit and sits much more aggressive than I thought which isn't a bad thing. It's been 2 weeks since the springs and wheels have been mounted and I'm still tweaking the camber and toe in the rear. Fenders are rolled and I'm currently set at -2.7 degrees of camber in the rear but Still have some rubbing issues. It's a matter of mm with my clearance and I believe I will have it dialed in soon. Toe is pigeoned to achieve desired wear. These are nuances I can live with because I have the resources available to tweak the car. As long I maintain daily drivability, I'm satisfied with the mods.*

So now you've heard it loud and clear. An ES350 CAN be lowered using same MY Camry springs kits. Or shall I say, it can be lowered on Eibach and/or Tein springs. Anyone partial to another company which makes springs for the Camry, be a pioneer and install them on your ES. You probably won't be disappointed.
Pics Please
Old 10-20-10, 10:26 AM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys. I'm out of town till the end of the month. Will post pics a few days after.
Old 10-20-10, 01:08 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sozae
I used the gen 6 Camry springs.
Ooo, to my knowledge so far, you're the first to purchase them. Post up pictures when you can, it'll be a good reference point I can show the guys on Toyota Nation
Old 10-20-10, 04:18 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

pics please?
Old 10-20-10, 04:18 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

oh yea and how is the ride difference from the stock springs?
Old 10-20-10, 04:35 PM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ekwlee
oh yea and how is the ride difference from the stock springs?
Much softer, mainly in the rear. Had the stiffen them back there. Mommy and baby were causing mucho rubb-ige. But then again, I'm 20"x9.5" back there. Now she rides like she was just birthed. Shot out to Tony "The Wheel *****" in the Valley for rollin' and Mark, also in the valley, for tuckin'.
Old 10-22-10, 12:19 PM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wolzy
Pics Please
Here you guys go. I bought a camera and realized it didn't have video capabilities so I'm sending it back for the upgrade. Will add mod info and video as soon as I can. Sorry for so few but I had bad weather. Enjoy!

cardomain.com/ride/3889073
Old 10-22-10, 01:53 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

i can only see one picture big..but that is a tasteful drop.....it's not too much but enough..i wonder if i do it, if my girl will know :-p
Old 10-22-10, 02:18 PM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, and so will she. Updating within the hour with more pics.
Old 10-22-10, 02:30 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

try and upload a picture that showsn before and after drop
Old 10-22-10, 03:30 PM
Sozae
Driver School Candidate

Check it now.

cardomain.com/ride/3889073
Old 10-22-10, 05:29 PM